Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

21 feared dead, 37 abducted as bandits sack community in Sokoto

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 4, 2026 554 Minutes read0

•Bandits

No fewer than 21 persons were feared dead, 37 others abducted, while thousands of residents fled their homes after heavily armed bandits launched an attack on Tsamaye community in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

The attack, which lasted from about 9:00 p.m. yesterday until after 3:00 a.m. today, also left two homes burnt, livestock stolen and the entire community deserted, witnesses told our correspondent.

Residents said the attack also triggered another tragedy when scores of villagers attempted to escape across a river after receiving information that the bandits were approaching, reports Daily Trust.

According to locals, the overloaded boats capsised, with about 25 people, mostly women and children, swept away by the water.

While seven persons were rescued alive, 18 others are feared to have drowned, as families continued searching for their missing relatives.

One resident, who was preparing to flee from the village, told Daily Trust that the attackers themselves disclosed that they had abducted 37 people after relatives called the victims” phones.

“When we called our relatives, the bandits answered the phones and told us they were the ones who abducted them. They said they had taken 37 people,” he said.

He explained that while some victims were seized inside the village, many others were captured in nearby farms where they had gone to sleep for fear of recurring attacks.

“Because of the frequent attacks, many people no longer sleep in the village. They spend the night in farms and bushes to avoid being attacked. This time, the bandits searched through the farms, woke people up and took them away.

“Most of those abducted were women and children. I personally saw three infants placed on the ground by the bandits while they led their mothers away.”

The resident lamented that despite informing security personnel about the invasion, no reinforcement arrived before the attackers completed their operation.

“We excused them during the previous attack because the bandits had surrounded them and were firing at them. But this time, they were informed early enough, yet nobody came to rescue us.”

Another resident who fled to Sokoto metropolis in the early hours of Tuesday said their village had been completely dispersed and everyone ran for their lives.

“We fled to Sokoto because we have never experienced terror like what happened on Wednesday night. About 40 of us escaped here, and everyone is now staying with relatives.”

A local vigilante member, who requested anonymity for security reasons, said the bandits first entered the village around 8:00 p.m., moving from house to house while forcing residents to identify wealthy households and locations where livestock were kept.

“Some people managed to escape and alerted us. We informed the security operatives stationed in our village and asked them to support us so that we could confront the bandits, but they told us they did not have adequate equipment. We also contacted our traditional leader, but there was little he could do apart from sympathising with us.

“When the gunfire intensified, we had no option but to hide.”

According to him, the security personnel urgently require Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) to effectively respond to attacks across the difficult terrain.

He added that fewer than 20 residents now remain in the community after the attack, with over 100 vehicles transporting displaced villagers from yesterday evening to now.

“From yesterday until today, nobody has eaten because of the trauma and panic caused by the attack,” he said.

Residents also said the bandits razed two houses belonging to Lawwali Ta’u Mai Chaji and Hassan Hasken Halara, a vigilante member.

“Our colleague was with us defending the village when his house was burnt. We only found ashes afterwards. We cannot even determine how many members of his family or livestock died in the fire because everything was reduced to ashes.”

Those confirmed killed during the attack, according to residents, include Kabiru Mallam Tanimu, Ayuba Mallam Hashim and Yakubu Mu”azu, while many others remain missing.

The attack has also forced residents from numerous surrounding settlements to flee. The affected communities include Borai, Tsululu, Garin Tudu, Bukka Hamsin, Turkawa, Rumbukawa, Dutsin Na Umma, Zangon Mu’azu, Arawa, Kuru, Zangon Mallam, Mai Hurde, Zugun, Gidan Na Birni, Mashaya, Marina and several others.

The displaced residents appealed to the federal and Sokoto State governments to urgently deploy additional security personnel and provide APCs to enable security operatives reclaim the area and allow displaced families to return home safely.

The Chairman of Sabon Birni Local Government Area, Ayuba Hashimu, confirmed that the incidents occurred but said he could not independently verify the casualty figures.

“The incidents indeed happened, but I was not there myself. Therefore, I have to verify the figures before I can confirm them,” he said.

The spokesperson of the Sokoto State Police Command, DSP Ahmad Rufai, confirmed the attack, saying additional security personnel had been deployed to restore peace and prevent further attacks in the affected communities.

Recall that on Wednesday, bandits attacked Tsamaye community in the same local government area, killing eight residents, including three worshippers inside a mosque, highlighting the worsening insecurity in Sabon Birni Local Government Area.

Sabon Birni remains one of the worst-hit local government areas in Sokoto State and the wider North-West, where armed groups have continued to carry out deadly attacks, mass abductions and widespread displacement despite ongoing security operations.

Tags
BanditscommunitySokoto
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Bandits kill senior police officer, set two patrol vehicles on fire
next post Middle Belt Forum backs Cardinal Onaiyekan, Catholic bishops over economic warnings
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Hackers target DHQ social media account — Military raises alarm

August 16, 20260
Crime

My life in captivity – Justice Bunza narrates 9-day hollowing experience in terrorists den •Freed after N50 million ransom

August 15, 20260
Crime

BREAKING: Lakurawa terrorists kill four soldiers in Sokoto

August 15, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

Osun election: We will adopt Governor Adeleke’s victory template for 2027 elections – Opposition

August 16, 20260
International

Hamas delegation, Egypt spy chief hold talks on Gaza plan

August 16, 20260
Politics

Jubilation on the streets over Adeleke’s declaration as winner of Osun governorship election

August 16, 20260
Politics

Governor Adeleke’s victory reflects will of the people, says Tinubu

August 16, 20260
Religion

BREAKING: Worshipper attacks Catholic priest after Sunday Mass, destroys Rev Father’s car

August 16, 20260
News

Proposed NGO bill a threat to Nigeria’s civil space, grassroots infrastructure — Tropical Gate Foundation warns

August 16, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Osun election: We will adopt Governor Adeleke’s victory template for 2027 elections – Opposition

August 16, 2026

Hamas delegation, Egypt spy chief hold talks on Gaza plan

August 16, 2026

Jubilation on the streets over Adeleke’s declaration as winner of Osun governorship election

August 16, 2026

Governor Adeleke’s victory reflects will of the people, says Tinubu

August 16, 2026

BREAKING: Worshipper attacks Catholic priest after Sunday Mass, destroys Rev Father’s car

August 16, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Osun election: We will adopt Governor Adeleke’s victory template for 2027 elections – Opposition

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

D-DAY: Nigeria’s World Cup hopes on the line in match against Lesotho today •Kickoff time, where to watch

October 10, 2025
3

US President Donald Trump to lead task force for 2026 FIFA World Cup

March 8, 2025
4

Alcohol ban on small pack sizes will curb underage drinking – NAFDAC

March 3, 2026
5

EPL preview: Liverpool clash with Everton in Merseyside derby as Chelsea travel to Spurs

December 6, 2024
6

AfroBasket 2025: FG fulfils promise to victorious D’Tigress

March 17, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: CBN further tightens monetary policy, raises interest rate to 27.25 per cent

September 24, 2024
3

Local govt autonomy: Implement with caution – Association chairman warns

January 7, 2025
4

Bitcoin sinks to 6-month low

November 15, 2025
5

Fourth Mainland Bridge construction to begin March, April — Gov Sanwo-Olu

January 25, 2024
6

Newlywed couple in viral video decry online bullying, wife explains condition for weight gain •VIDEO

December 30, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Our motive is to ensure every Nigerian becomes an APC member — National Chairman Yilwatda

January 28, 2026

Cambridge varsity announces Nigerian professor, Ijeoma Uchegbu as seventh president

December 17, 2023

UK PM Starmer in Rio to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping at G20 summit

November 18, 2024

Frustrated GoTV subscribers demand refund after channel shutdown

October 24, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4904
  • Politics4542
  • Crime4393
  • International3024
  • Sports2440
  • Business & Economy2262
  • Headlines2214
  • Education1356
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health868
  • Entertainment803
  • Africa566
  • Religion483
  • Environment361
  • Special277
  • Info Tech243
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade129
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact