Skip to content
Monday 18 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Israel to begin 4-hour ‘pauses’ in Gaza – US

The FrontierThe FrontierNovember 10, 2023 6143 Minutes read0

•Joe Biden

Israel has agreed to daily four-hour military pauses in northern Gaza for humanitarian purposes, the White House said yesterday, even as President Joe Biden said there was no chance of a full ceasefire.

Biden has been pressing Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for longer breaks in the fighting after more than a month of war sparked by the October 7 attacks by Hamas, reports AFP.

White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said the pauses were “significant steps forward” as heavy fighting took hold of Gaza City in the north of the Gaza strip.

“Israel will begin to implement four-hour pauses in areas of northern Gaza each day, with an announcement to be made three hours beforehand,” Kirby told reporters.

“We’ve been told by the Israelis that there will be no military operations in these areas over the duration of the pause (and) that this process is starting today.”

The pauses would allow humanitarian aid to get into the area and allow civilians to flee the fighting, he said.

Israel had also opened up “humanitarian corridors” for the past few days that had already allowed “many thousands” of people to leave the worst-hit area of north Gaza to the south, Kirby added.

“We would like to see pauses continue for as long as humanitarian assistance is needed,” he said.

– Downplayed by Israel –

But Israeli military spokesman Richard Hecht appeared to downplay the pauses.

“It’s not a shift,” he told reporters. “These are tactical local pauses for humanitarian aid, which are limited in time and area.”

Fighting has raged since gunmen from the Islamist group Hamas poured over the Gaza border with Israel and, according to Israeli officials, killed 1,400 people and seized about 240 hostages in the worst attack in the country’s history.

Vowing to destroy Hamas, Israel retaliated with an aerial bombing and ground offensive that the health ministry in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip says has killed more than 10,800 people, many of them children.

International calls for a ceasefire have mounted, as have protests, including one at the weekend which targeted the White House. However, Biden ruled out a longer truce for now.

“None. No possibility,” Biden told reporters when asked about the chances of a ceasefire.

He said he was “still optimistic” about freeing hostages — including the fewer than 10 US citizens held in Gaza. “We’re not going to stop until we get them out.”

He later confirmed that in a call with Netanayhu that “I’ve asked for a pause longer than three days”. When asked if he was frustrated with Netanyahu, he said, “it’s taken a little longer than I hoped.”

The United States has firmly stood by key ally Israel since the attacks, saying that Hamas cannot be allowed to remain in control of Gaza.

But Washington has also been publicly calling on the Israeli military to obey the “laws of war” and avoid civilian casualties, while privately pushing Israel to scale back its offensive and to develop a plan for what comes next.

Biden visited Israel in October in a show of support. During the trip he announced that Egypt had agreed to open the Rafah crossing into southern Gaza to let aid trucks in.

Israel has pressed on with its offensive and has encircled northern Gaza in recent days. It said Thursday it had fought a 10-hour battle that toppled one of the Palestinian militants’ strongholds.

Biden has also warned Iran and its ally Hezbollah against widening the conflict, but repeated attacks on US forces by Tehran’s proxies in recent weeks have raised tensions.

Asked why US warplanes had carried out fresh strikes on an Iran-linked weapons facility in eastern Syria on Wednesday, Biden said “because they struck us” and said US forces would strike again “if we have to.”

Tags
‘pauses’beginGazaIsraelUS
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Organised Labour to Tinubu: Act fast over brutalization of Ajaero •Explains why Abuja airport was blocked today, plans more mass actions
next post Osimhen, Ndidi missing, Uzoho called up for Nigeria’s World Cup qualifiers •FULL LIST OF INVITED PLAYERS
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Russian drone hit Chinese cargo ship overnight in Black Sea

May 18, 20260
International

Military confirms killing of senior ISIS commander al-Minuki in Nigeria-US joint operation

May 16, 20260
International

Russia’s President Putin set to visit China days after Trump trip

May 16, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

Ben Murray-Bruce, 46 others disqualified from APC senatorial race •FULL LIST

May 18, 20260
Headlines

Fresh airstrikes launched on ISIS terrorists enclave in Nigeria, 20 killed

May 18, 20260
Politics

NDC announces new deadline for legislative, governorship forms

May 18, 20260
Politics

Former Governor Gbenga Daniel withdraws from Ogun East APC Senatorial primary •Cites alleged planned attack

May 18, 20260
Crime

HORROR: Terrorists cut-off head of kidnapped Oyo teacher •VIDEO

May 18, 20260
Headlines

HAPPENING NOW: Teachers protest over school attack by terrorists in Oyo •One teacher killed in captivity

May 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Ben Murray-Bruce, 46 others disqualified from APC senatorial race •FULL LIST

May 18, 2026

Fresh airstrikes launched on ISIS terrorists enclave in Nigeria, 20 killed

May 18, 2026

NDC announces new deadline for legislative, governorship forms

May 18, 2026

Former Governor Gbenga Daniel withdraws from Ogun East APC Senatorial primary •Cites alleged planned attack

May 18, 2026

HORROR: Terrorists cut-off head of kidnapped Oyo teacher •VIDEO

May 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Ben Murray-Bruce, 46 others disqualified from APC senatorial race •FULL LIST

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Cyberstalking: Gistlover Blog operators in police net

January 6, 2024
3

Containers carrying arms worth N13.9 billion intercepted

July 1, 2024
4

New Ebola outbreak kills 15 in DR Congo – Health minister

September 4, 2025
5

REVEALED: How terrorists overran military base, killed General Braimah – Surviving soldiers narrate

April 11, 2026
6

We’ve killed big snakes, scorpions inside Anambra Assembly Complex – Staff association chairman

April 20, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Planned rally for FCT Minister Wike capable of causing crisis in Bayelsa — Governor Diri warns

March 28, 2025
3

LG chairman arrested for alleged attempt to assassinate State Assembly Speaker

January 23, 2024
4

BREAKING: Lion kills veterinary technologist at varsity zoo

February 19, 2024
5

JUST IN: Court sacks first class monarch in Kogi

February 3, 2025
6

DSS summons Awujale nominees as kingmakers cancel ‘meet-and-greet’

January 21, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Japa: 32,462 Nigerians apply for passports in 2 weeks

January 24, 2024

2 Nollywood crew members found dead on location •Police quiz producer, food vendor

February 16, 2026

Mbappe returns to France squad as PSG’s Doue earns first call-up

March 13, 2025

Budget defence: Senate fixes new resumption date

January 26, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4544
  • Politics4066
  • Crime3887
  • International2735
  • Sports2254
  • Business & Economy2113
  • Headlines2071
  • Education1252
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health798
  • Entertainment733
  • Africa460
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact