Skip to content
Monday 18 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

FCT residents protest demolitions, seek Tinubu’s intervention

The FrontierThe FrontierNovember 8, 2024 2022 Minutes read0

•FCT protest

Residents of Ruga Community, along the Lugbe-Airport Expressway in the Federal Capital Territory, have appealed to President Bola Tinubu to intervene and stop the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, from carrying out further demolitions in the area.

It was reported that a Special Ministerial Task Team of the FCT Administration had, on Wednesday, demolished illegal settlements in the community, while shanties made from sacks, scrap roofing materials, and planks were destroyed and set ablaze, reports The PUNCH.

Speaking during the demolition exercise, the FCT Mandate Secretary for Security, Adamu Gwary, represented by the Secretary of the FCT Command and Control Unit, Peter Olumuji, explained that the settlements were built on people’s plots of land and obstructed a rail corridor, adding that their occupation could pose a threat to residents using the Abuja Metro Line.

However, the counsel for the residents and human rights lawyer, Deji Adeyanju, who spoke on behalf of the residents today, disclosed that the demolition exercise would affect over 15,000 residents in the area, adding that there was no justification for the ongoing demolitions.

He also alleged that a resident had been shot in the foot during the demolition exercise.

“The reason why we are here is because of the ongoing massive demolitions in the FCT by the Honourable Minister of the FCT, Nyesom Wike. The reason why we have come to this particular location, there are four different locations, affecting more than 15,000 residents of the FCT in this location alone.

“We were briefed just yesterday by all the affected residents that we should take up their matter in court on their behalf. So, we have come not just to sympathise, but to assess the level of damage. But before we do that next week, we are using this medium to appeal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to consider the plight of FCT residents who are barely surviving.

“Many of the residents here are people who were driven away from Borno, Adamawa, Yobe, and Zamfara because of insecurity and insurgency. They live here, they work in the FCT, they are builders, painters, and shoemakers, and they do so much good work for the community. There is no justification for this demolition. They help the security agencies to detect crime in the FCT. There is no justification for these demolitions. They are unconscionable, too frequent, and we are appealing to Mr. President and the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces to do something,” he said.

Adeyanju also warned against the consequences of demolishing the homes of the poor to reallocate them to the rich, stating, “The only way the ruling elite can sleep is when the poor can sleep.”

Also speaking, social media influencer Martins Otse, popularly known as VeryDarkMan, said the repercussions of the demolition would affect everyone in the FCT.

He called on Wike and Tinubu to stop the demolition, adding that while the minister was attempting to develop Abuja, it wasn’t right to displace the poor in the community.

“The repercussions of something like this will cost us a lot. What would happen after this demolition is terrorism, stealing, snatching of phones, and killing people to collect things from their hands because these people will be desperate. At the end of the day, it is so crazy that the elite are thinking that the poor people are not one of us. The poor people are your brothers and sisters,” he said, among other statements.

Some of the residents held placards that read, “Wike, stop demolishing our house and giving it to your friends,” “Stop demolitions,” and “Wike, the land grabber.”

Tags
DemolitionsFCT residentsInterventionprotestTinubu’s
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post EFCC arrests 2 Chinese, others over illegal solid mineral export
next post 6 Nigerian artistes make 2025 Grammy nominations •FULL LIST
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Nigerian Army expands formations nationwide, honours fallen heroes, wounded soldiers

May 18, 20260
News

Human rights lawyer Falana urges Tinubu to rely on Defence HQ for security intelligence

May 17, 20260
News

Transparency Watch Initiative ranks two agencies among Nigeria’s best performing public institutions

May 16, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

PSG’s Dembele to undergo treatment for leg issue before UCL final

May 18, 20260
Crime

DSS picks up former Governor El-Rufai after court grants bail; family kicks

May 18, 20260
Politics

JUST IN: APC makes U-turn, clears Ben Murray-Bruce, 4 others for senatorial primary

May 18, 20260
Politics

Former Governor El-Rufai being treated as political prisoner – ADC

May 18, 20260
Politics

Accord Party leaders raise alarm over plans to arrest stakeholders

May 18, 20260
Education

NYSC to enforce new certificate requirement for Corps members from 2026 Batch B

May 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

PSG’s Dembele to undergo treatment for leg issue before UCL final

May 18, 2026

DSS picks up former Governor El-Rufai after court grants bail; family kicks

May 18, 2026

JUST IN: APC makes U-turn, clears Ben Murray-Bruce, 4 others for senatorial primary

May 18, 2026

Former Governor El-Rufai being treated as political prisoner – ADC

May 18, 2026

Accord Party leaders raise alarm over plans to arrest stakeholders

May 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

PSG’s Dembele to undergo treatment for leg issue before UCL final

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Concerns over regional representation as Tinubu nominates 2 INEC commissioners

November 20, 2024
3

Nigeria on verge of losing democracy – Former Vice President Atiku

January 28, 2025
4

Coach Chelle unveils 23-man Super Eagles team for October World Cup qualifiers •FULL LIST

October 3, 2025
5

Liverpool’s rematch excites PSG coach

March 21, 2026
6

Lookman makes Africa Cup of Nations group stage Best XI

January 2, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Real reason Tinubu govt is afraid about my return to Nigeria – Former Governor El-Rufai

February 13, 2026
3

Buhari sent DSS to assassinate me – Sunday Igboho

February 23, 2024
4

BREAKING: Corpse of suspected killer of Rivers DPO exhumed

February 23, 2024
5

Ogunmodede joins coach Eguavoen’s Super Eagles team as assistant for AFCON 2025

September 2, 2024
6

I still love Nigerian men, says American woman after falling victim of Yahoo Boys

November 25, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

BREAKING: Senate President Akpabio makes U-turn, withdraws all defamation suits following New Year sermon by priest

January 1, 2026

REVEALED: Actual people behind Tinubu’s rise to presidency – Gbajabiamila

January 10, 2024

8 Nigerian soldiers killed in terrorists’ attack – Sources

February 19, 2026

Tinubu jets out to Saudi Arabia for Islamic summit

November 10, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4073
  • Crime3889
  • International2735
  • Sports2256
  • Business & Economy2113
  • Headlines2073
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment734
  • Africa460
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact