Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

JUST IN: Israeli security cabinet approves Gaza ceasefire deal

The FrontierThe FrontierJanuary 17, 2025 3104 Minutes read0

•Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (right) attends a meeting in the command center of the defense ministry 

Israel’s security cabinet approved in a vote today a Gaza ceasefire and hostage release deal that should take effect this weekend, the prime minister’s office said.

The agreement, which must now go to the full cabinet for a final green light, would halt fighting and bombardment in Gaza’s deadliest-ever war, reports AFP.

It would also launch on Sunday the release of hostages held in the territory since Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack on Israel.

Under the deal struck by Qatar, the United States and Egypt, the ensuing weeks should also see the release of hundreds of Palestinian prisoners from Israeli jails.

Israeli strikes have killed dozens of people since the deal was announced. Israel’s military said yesterday it had hit about 50 targets across Gaza over the past day.

The full cabinet will convene later today to approve the deal. The ceasefire would take effect on the eve of Donald Trump’s inauguration as US president.

Saying the proposed deal “supports achieving the objectives of the war”, the office of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced that the security cabinet recommended that the government approve it.

His office had earlier said the release of hostages would begin on Sunday.

Even before the start of the truce, Gazans displaced by the war to other parts of the territory were preparing to return home.

“I will go to kiss my land,” said Nasr al-Gharabli, who fled his home in Gaza City for a camp further south in the territory.

“If I die on my land, it would be better than being here as a displaced person.”

In Israel, there was joy but also anguish over the 251 hostages taken in the deadliest attack in the country’s history.

Kfir Bibas, whose second birthday falls tomorrow, is the youngest hostage.

Hamas said in November 2023 that Kfir, his four-year-old brother Ariel and their mother Shiri had died in an air strike, but with the Israeli military yet to confirm their deaths, many are clinging to hope.

“I think of them, these two little redheads, and I get shivers,” said 70-year-old Osnat Nyska, whose grandchildren attended nursery with the Bibas brothers.

‘Confident’

Two far-right ministers had voiced opposition to the deal, with one threatening to quit the cabinet, but US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said he believed the ceasefire would go ahead on schedule.

“I am confident, and I fully expect that implementation will begin, as we said, on Sunday,” he said.

Gaza’s civil defence agency said Israel pounded several areas of the territory, killing more than 100 people and wounding hundreds since the the deal was announced on Wednesday.

Hamas’s armed wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, warned that Israeli strikes were risking the lives of hostages due to be freed under the deal, and could turn their “freedom… into a tragedy”.

The war began with the October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,210 people, mostly civilians, according to our tally of Israeli official figures.

Of the 251 people taken hostage, 94 are still in Gaza, including 34 the Israeli military says are dead.

Israel’s retaliatory campaign has destroyed much of Gaza, killing 46,788 people, most of them civilians, according to figures from the Hamas-run territory’s health ministry that the UN considers reliable.

Trump and Biden

The ceasefire agreement followed intensified efforts from mediators after months of fruitless negotiations, and with Trump’s team taking credit for working with US President Joe Biden’s administration to seal the deal.

“If we weren’t involved in this deal, the deal would’ve never happened,” Trump said in an interview yesterday.

A senior Biden official said the unlikely pairing had been a decisive factor in reaching the deal.

Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al-Thani, announcing the agreement on Wednesday, said an initial 42-day ceasefire would see 33 hostages released, including women, “children, elderly people, as well as civilian ill people and wounded”.

The Israeli authorities assume the 33 are alive, but Hamas has yet to confirm that.

Also in the first phase, Israeli forces would withdraw from Gaza’s densely populated areas and allow displaced Palestinians to return “to their residences”, he said.

Two sources close to Hamas told our correspondent three Israeli women soldiers would be the first to be released on Sunday evening.

The women may in fact be civilians, as the militant group refers to all Israelis of military age who have undergone mandatory military service as soldiers.

Once released they would be received by Red Cross staff as well as Egyptian and Qatari teams, one source said on condition of anonymity.

They would then be taken to Egypt where they would undergo medical examinations and then to Israel, the source said.

Israel “is then expected to release the first group of Palestinian prisoners, including several with high sentences”, the source added.

Egypt was today hosting technical talks on the implementation of the truce, according to state-linked media.

French President Emmanuel Macron said French-Israeli citizens Ofer Kalderon and Ohad Yahalomi were on the list of 33 hostages to be freed in the first phase.

Biden said the second phase could bring a “permanent end to the war”.

In aid-starved Gaza, where nearly all of its 2.4 million people have been displaced at least once, aid workers worry about the monumental task ahead.

“Everything has been destroyed, children are on the streets, you can’t pinpoint just one priority,” Doctors Without Borders (MSF) coordinator Amande Bazerolle told our correspondent.

Tags
approvesceasefire dealGazaIsraelsecurity cabinet
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post BREAKING: Julius Abure remains national chairman of Labour Party – Appeal Court declares
next post BREAKING: Power outage throws Presidential Villa, Abuja into darkness
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

US, Canada unable to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

EPL: Semi Ajayi scores as Hull City beats Manchester United

August 22, 20260
Environment

Ogoni youths demand 500 NNPC jobs as oil exploration resumption sparks divisions

August 22, 20260
Headlines

Meet head of Nigeria’s latest ‘fake’ govt agency, 20 state coordinators, diaspora reps •PHOTOS

August 22, 20260
Crime

Kidnapped Borno schoolchildren: Families cry out to Tinubu after 100 days in captivity

August 22, 20260
Politics

Peter Obi draws 2027 battleline, says Nigeria must work

August 22, 20260
Politics

Tinubu’s Campaign Council for 2027 elections •FULL LIST

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

EPL: Semi Ajayi scores as Hull City beats Manchester United

August 22, 2026

Ogoni youths demand 500 NNPC jobs as oil exploration resumption sparks divisions

August 22, 2026

Meet head of Nigeria’s latest ‘fake’ govt agency, 20 state coordinators, diaspora reps •PHOTOS

August 22, 2026

Kidnapped Borno schoolchildren: Families cry out to Tinubu after 100 days in captivity

August 22, 2026

Peter Obi draws 2027 battleline, says Nigeria must work

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

EPL: Semi Ajayi scores as Hull City beats Manchester United

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Former Arsenal player Jack Wilshere appointed Luton Town manager

October 13, 2025
3

Speaker Abbas raises alarm over rising cases of drug abuse, domestic violence in northwest

February 24, 2025
4

Row over alleged lesbian, gay deal by Nigeria escalates

July 7, 2024
5

Bandits have taken over 64 communities in Plateau – Governor Muftwang laments

April 9, 2025
6

How woman died in auto crash 2 days to daughter’s beauty contest

December 15, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

DSS interrogates former Minister Malami over attack on his convoy

September 23, 2025
3

BREAKING: My father is dying of cancer — Former US President Joe Biden’s son cries out

August 8, 2026
4

Customs intercept arms at Onne Port

November 9, 2023
5

Dangote Refinery: Declare crude supply emergency – Oil producers tell Tinubu

July 3, 2024
6

Social media X restored in Venezuela after more than a year block by deposed President Maduro

January 14, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Real reason they are after my life – Peter Obi

January 7, 2025

2027: Why coalition against Tinubu may fail – Former Labour Party DG

March 26, 2025

2027 election: Planned coalition will only give Tinubu return ticket, says activist Sowore

June 4, 2025

PDP crisis: 3,000 delegates set for high-stakes convention

November 10, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4928
  • Politics4592
  • Crime4411
  • International3043
  • Sports2460
  • Business & Economy2273
  • Headlines2223
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health878
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment365
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact