Skip to content
Monday 18 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

France, US tell Iran opportunity to avoid nuclear sanctions still open

The FrontierThe FrontierSeptember 25, 2025 923 Minutes read0

•French President Emmanuel Macron

French President Emmanuel Macron and a US envoy said yesterday that Iran still had a last chance to avoid deep UN sanctions if it addresses concerns on its nuclear program.

France, Britain and Germany have set the clock through the UN Security Council to reimpose sweeping sanctions at the end of Saturday on Iran, which they say has not cooperated on the long-running nuclear row, reports AFP.

Macron met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly and urged him to reverse a series of steps taken by Tehran following an Israeli and US attack in June.

Iran must allow full access to UN nuclear inspectors, immediately resume nuclear negotiations and offer transparency on highly enriched uranium whose whereabouts have been the subject of speculation, Macron said.

“An agreement remains possible. Only a few hours are left. It’s up to Iran to respond to the legitimate conditions we have raised,” Macron wrote on X after meeting Pezeshkian.

Steve Witkoff, Trump’s real-estate friend and roving envoy who had been negotiating with Iran until Israel attacked, said without further elaboration that he was still in touch with Iran.

Witkoff said that Iran was in a “tough position” ahead of the return of the so-called snapback sanctions.

“I think that we have no desire to hurt them. We have a desire, however, to either realise a permanent solution and negotiate around snapbacks,” Witkoff told the Concordia summit on the sidelines of the General Assembly.

“If we can’t, then snapbacks will be what they are. They’re the right medicine,” Witkoff said.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi met Tuesday with his European counterparts, leading to no clear progress other than an agreement to keep talking.

Iran denies bomb pursuit

Ahead of meeting Macron, Pezeshkian insisted before the annual UN gathering that Iran was not at fault.

“I hereby declare once more before this assembly that Iran has never sought and will never seek to build a nuclear bomb,” he said.

“The one disturbing peace and stability in the region is Israel, but Iran is the one that gets punished,” he said.

Iran has long contended that it is not seeking nuclear weapons, pointing to an edict by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and US intelligence has not concluded that the country has decided to build a nuclear weapon.

But Israel, the United States and European countries have long been skeptical due to the country’s advanced nuclear work, believing it could quickly pursue a bomb if it so decided.

The snapback sanctions would restore wide-ranging UN economic measures that had been suspended under a 2015 nuclear deal that was negotiated by former US president Barack Obama.

Trump withdrew from the deal in his first term and imposed major unilateral US sanctions.

Pezeshkian accused the Europeans of bad faith, saying that Iran’s lack of cooperation was in response to Trump’s withdrawal from the nuclear deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

“They falsely presented themselves as parties of good standing to the agreement, and they disparaged Iran’s sincere efforts as insufficient,” Pezeshkian said.

“All of this was in pursuit of nothing less than the destruction of the very JCPOA which they themselves had once held as a foremost achievement.”

Standing at the General Assembly rostrum, Pezeshkian showed pictures of people killed in the 12-day Israeli military campaign against Iran in June, which Tehran says killed more than 1,000 people.

The United States joined in the campaign on June 22, striking several of Iran’s nuclear facilities.

“Aerial assaults of the Zionist regime and the United States of America against Iran’s cities, homes and infrastructure at the very time we were treading the path of diplomatic negotiations constituted a grave betrayal of diplomacy,” he said.

Tags
FranceIrannuclear sanctionsUS
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post All 23 trapped in collapsed Colombian mine brought out alive •PHOTOS
next post Olubadan: Separate tradition from politics – Former President Obasanjo tells Ladoja
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Military confirms killing of senior ISIS commander al-Minuki in Nigeria-US joint operation

May 16, 20260
International

Russia’s President Putin set to visit China days after Trump trip

May 16, 20260
International

Israel, Lebanon extend ceasefire despite fresh strikes

May 16, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

2027: Powerful forces behind Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Makinde •Amaechi, Adebayo too

May 17, 20260
Crime

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors

May 17, 20260
Headlines

INSECURITY: Mothers cry as terrorists kidnap over 45 schoolchildren

May 17, 20260
Politics

APC primaries: Former Governor Osoba’s son picks 4th term ticket in Ogun

May 17, 20260
News

Human rights lawyer Falana urges Tinubu to rely on Defence HQ for security intelligence

May 17, 20260
Politics

Aggrieved aspirants kick as allegations of violence, self-declaration of victory mar Ekiti APC primaries

May 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2027: Powerful forces behind Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Makinde •Amaechi, Adebayo too

May 17, 2026

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors

May 17, 2026

INSECURITY: Mothers cry as terrorists kidnap over 45 schoolchildren

May 17, 2026

APC primaries: Former Governor Osoba’s son picks 4th term ticket in Ogun

May 17, 2026

Human rights lawyer Falana urges Tinubu to rely on Defence HQ for security intelligence

May 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2027: Powerful forces behind Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Makinde •Amaechi, Adebayo too

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Frankfurt Airport opens again after climate activists

July 25, 2024
3

Governor Bago orders immediate reopening of IBB University after deadly robbery incident

August 1, 2025
4

EXPOSED: How women labourers working at construction sites defy abuses to survive

June 22, 2025
5

Anambra, Imo top list of UTME exam malpractice centres — JAMB

July 8, 2025
6

BREAKING: Planned Christmas Day massacre in 3 states by terrorists uncovered

December 13, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Pro-Amaechi Rivers APC faction denies defecting to PDP, working for Wike

February 23, 2024
3

BREAKING: Like Bobrisky, EFCC to arraign Cubana Chief Priest tomorrow for Naira abuse

April 16, 2024
4

Thousands of Abuja dispatch riders storm secretariat over multiple taxation

February 19, 2026
5

Niger Delta demands apology, compensation for raid on Clark’s residence

March 29, 2024
6

2027: How Atiku, Obi, El-Rufai’s coalition against Tinubu may play out

March 21, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Why report on Mohbad’s death probe not out – Police

December 29, 2023

Tinubu will defeat coalition group in 2027 – Pentecostal Bishop

July 11, 2025

Hot Lyrics: WHY LOVE, by Asake

February 15, 2025

INEC publishes final list of candidates for Feb 3 by-elections

January 17, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4544
  • Politics4060
  • Crime3882
  • International2734
  • Sports2252
  • Business & Economy2112
  • Headlines2068
  • Education1252
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health798
  • Entertainment733
  • Africa459
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech219
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade116
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact