Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

2 killed, wedding guests kidnapped as bandits launch attack in Katsina

The FrontierThe FrontierJanuary 12, 2026 1172 Minutes read0

•Terrorists

Suspected bandits have reportedly attacked a wedding convoy at Unguwar Nagunda Community in the Kankara Local Government Area of Katsina State, killing at least two people.

Several others, including the bride, were injured, reports Channels TV.

During the attack, which occurred last night, an unspecified number of wedding guests were said to have also been abducted.

A security source said today that residents reported heavy gunfire and widespread panic upon the arrival of the bandits in the community on Sunday night.

As of this morning, families are still trying to confirm how many people were abducted,” the source said.

When contacted for comment, the Katsina State Police Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Abubakar Sadiq, was not available as text messages and phone calls put through to him were not responded to as of the time of filing this report.

The attack comes at a time when the state government was making plans to release 70 detained suspected bandits as part of measures to consolidate what it described as the “existing peace” deal between banditry-affected communities and repentant bandits in the state.

The government said the deal had led to the release of at least 1,000 persons held captive by the suspected bandits in different attacks.

It maintained that such tactics are adopted in war situations globally.

The government further disclosed that the deal had led to the release of at least 1,000 persons held captive by the suspected bandits in different attacks.

On January 2, 2026, an official letter came to the open detailing the state government’s plan to secure the release of the suspected bandits currently facing criminal trials for their involvement in banditry.

The letter, classified as “SECRET,” was issued by the Ministry of Justice and addressed to the state’s Chief Judge, Justice Musa Abubakar.

In the letter, the state government, through the Ministry of Justice, sought the intervention of the Administration of Criminal Justice Monitoring Committee (ACJMC) to facilitate the release of the detained suspected terrorists.

The letter, which was signed by the Director of Public Prosecutions, Abdur-Rahman Umar, revealed that a list containing the names of 48 individuals accused of various banditry-related offences had been forwarded to the justice ministry by the Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs.

According to the letter, the planned release of the suspected terrorists was to facilitate “their release from detention, as one of the conditions precedent for the continuance of the peace accord deal signed between the frontline local governments and the bandits.”

The government also said that while some of the suspects were already standing trial before the Federal High Court, some others remained in detention awaiting trial at various magistrates’ courts across the state.

Umar added that a separate list of about 22 inmates currently facing trial before different high courts across the state was submitted, seeking their release under the same peace arrangement, urging the state Chief Judge to take “necessary action” to that effect.

Tags
attackBanditsKatsinawedding guests
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Iran internet shutdown enters Day 4
next post Insecurity: Outsiders should obtain permits before settling in Edo communities – Group leader Oseremen
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 20260
Crime

JUST IN: Over 20 people feared killed in attack on Plateau community

August 18, 20260
Crime

Man allegedly kills 60-year-old mother with cutlass

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

UI, UNILAG lead Nigerian institutions in global ranking •FULL LIST

August 18, 20260
News

Tension as youths destroy shrine in Rivers

August 18, 20260
Politics

2027: Former military Head of State General Abdulsalami warns politicians against character assassination as campaigns kick off tomorrow

August 18, 20260
Sports

Nigerian fans drive SuperSport’s 19.1 billion World Cup digital views

August 18, 20260
Entertainment

Afrobeats star Davido considers quitting music for new generation

August 18, 20260
Health

What you need to know about stage-four cancer and chances of survival

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

UI, UNILAG lead Nigerian institutions in global ranking •FULL LIST

August 18, 2026

Tension as youths destroy shrine in Rivers

August 18, 2026

2027: Former military Head of State General Abdulsalami warns politicians against character assassination as campaigns kick off tomorrow

August 18, 2026

Nigerian fans drive SuperSport’s 19.1 billion World Cup digital views

August 18, 2026

Afrobeats star Davido considers quitting music for new generation

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

UI, UNILAG lead Nigerian institutions in global ranking •FULL LIST

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Greatness is a full-time job, says Popular singer Phyno

October 5, 2024
3

Lawyers hold massive protest against police brutality in Lagos

January 12, 2024
4

Empowerment: Senator Barau distributes 60 cars to Kano residents

January 2, 2024
5

Top 10 states with good road network in Nigeria

September 24, 2024
6

Multiple accidents cause gridlock on Lagos-Ibadan expressway

December 23, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

FG is deceptive, justice minister not sincere with LG autonomy, says lawyer •VIDEO

June 23, 2025
3

Governor Lawal appoints new Emir of Gusau emirate

July 29, 2025
4

They called us bottlers – Arsenal players celebrate historic English Premier League victory

May 20, 2026
5

Popular Bishop sentenced to 20 years imprisonment for rape of 12-year-old girl in Abuja

January 22, 2025
6

Real Madrid thrash Minera to reach Copa Del Rey last 16

January 7, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: Ibom Paints takes off with a Sole Administrator

June 12, 2025

JUST IN: Court adjourns trial of driver in boxing icon Anthony Joshua’s car crash

April 16, 2026

INEC adds Sylva to Bayelsa governorship candidates’ list after court order

November 7, 2023

JUST IN: No kobo was spent on ‘fake’ Presidential Council — Budget Office tells Reps

July 24, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4911
  • Politics4558
  • Crime4402
  • International3029
  • Sports2447
  • Business & Economy2265
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1362
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health873
  • Entertainment808
  • Africa570
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact