Skip to content
Wednesday 20 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Court admits more evidence against Owo Catholic Church attackers

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 19, 2026 682 Minutes read0

•Scene at St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State after the bloody attack by terrorists

The Federal High Court in Abuja today admitted additional confessional statements and Digital Forensic Examination Report against the accused persons standing trial for their alleged complicity in the June 5, 2022 terror attacks against St Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State in which 41 people died and 140 others injured.

Justice Emeka Nwite admitted the statement, Digital forensic examination report along with a Techno Telephone that revealed the exchange of communications among the defendants before and after the terror attack, reports The Guardian.

The judge admitted the exhibits following absence of objections to their admission by the counsel to the five defendants Mr Abdullahi Mohammed.

The five defendants are Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza (25 years), Al Qasim Idris (20 years), Jamiu Abdulmalik (26 years), Abdulhaleem Idris (25 years) and Momoh Otuho Abubakar (47 years).

At today’s proceedings, the federal government which put the accused persons on trial formally closed its case after calling 11 witnesses that testified against the defendants to establish the alleged offences against them.

Following the development, Justice Nwite gave the defendants who are facing 9-count charges March 4 and 5 to open their defence in the heinous crime.

A lawyer for the accused persons had earlier informed the court that only the defendants would give evidence for themselves and that he could complete the defense in just one day.

He however urged the court to direct the DSS to allow him access to the defendants in its custody so as to avoid obstacles in the defense.

At the proceedings, the last witness of the DSS code named PSSK a Senior Operative with DSS in charge of Forensic and Counter terrorism, revealed how he was drafted along with others to proceed to Owo, venue of the attack to trace, locate and apprehend the perpetrators of the crime.

He told the Court that geospatial network filtering was adopted and which filtered thousands of mobile phone lines that have contacts with Egbeka and Ifon.

As a result of the technology adoption, the witness said the result narrowed down to the phone of the 5th defendant, Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza leading to his arrest in Ifon town of Ondo state.

The witness further stated that the confession of Omeiza led to the arrest of the four others adding that forensic examination carried out on theirs revealed that they were in series of communication with each other before and after the attack.

Specifically, the federal government told the court that three of the defendants made several calls before and after the attack which showed that they knew one another adding their arrest was not by accident but by the use of technology.

Answering a question during cross examination, the federal government said that the post incident investigation lasted for more than a month adding that all the five defendants were apprehended in August 2022 at different locations in Kogi and Ondo states.

 

Tags
CourtevidenceOwo Catholic Church attackers
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Ramadan: Governor Adeleke cuts working hours for Ọsun civil servants
next post ‘The law must take its course’ – King Charles reacts to brother’s arrest
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Abductions in Oyo show South-West must prepare to address insecurity — Yoruba leader Gani Adams

May 19, 20260
Crime

No permanent terrorist base in South-West, says Military

May 19, 20260
Crime

BREAKING: EFCC arrests convicted former Power Minister Saleh Mamman

May 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

The wait is over! Arsenal win Premier League for first time in 22 years

May 20, 20260
Sports

How Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta turned from Pep Guardiola’s protégé to Premier League winner

May 20, 20260
Sports

REVEALED: 5 factors that propelled Arsenal to Premier League title victory

May 20, 20260
Sports

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

May 19, 20260
Headlines

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 20260
Entertainment

Wizkid, Tems, Burna Boy, Asake nominated for 2026 BET Awards •FULL LIST

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

The wait is over! Arsenal win Premier League for first time in 22 years

May 20, 2026

How Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta turned from Pep Guardiola’s protégé to Premier League winner

May 20, 2026

REVEALED: 5 factors that propelled Arsenal to Premier League title victory

May 20, 2026

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

May 19, 2026

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

The wait is over! Arsenal win Premier League for first time in 22 years

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

2 states postpone school resumption indefinitely

September 9, 2024
3

Top 10 youngest billionaires in the world

April 1, 2026
4

Former boyfriend jailed for life after stabbing UK student to death

February 5, 2026
5

Ex- BBNaija housemate unfollows husband on Instagram, deletes wedding photos 7 months after marriage

October 9, 2024
6

Hot Lyrics: LOST, by Fola and Kizz Daniel

May 17, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Kidnapped 150 Zamfara villagers: 3 dead as bandits remain silent on ransom

December 19, 2023
3

Osifo re-elected as TUC President, pledges to tackle unfair labour practices

April 29, 2025
4

Labour Party, NLC at war over planned national convention

March 16, 2024
5

Reps tell Ministry to stop UK lawyers from practicing in Nigeria

March 19, 2024
6

State of economy: Wale Edun, Cardoso, Bagudu to brief Reps today

February 6, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2 Chinese, police officer killed in Abia

April 6, 2025

Two Chinese companies owing over ₦15 billion in VAT — House of Representatives

July 11, 2025

Tinubu’s aide Dada Olusegun under fire for anti-protest comment

July 23, 2024

Airports authority contains fire outbreak in Lagos, says normalcy restored

February 24, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4546
  • Politics4082
  • Crime3895
  • International2740
  • Sports2263
  • Business & Economy2116
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment736
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact