FIFA President Gianni Infantino received the “full support” of senior directors yesterday, but world football’s governing body apologised for the controversy surrounding the now-shelved plan to open the World Cup to private investment. Facing a barrage of criticism following the aborted plan, FIFA’s leadership acknowledged “errors”, while none...
FIFA President Gianni Infantino said today he has scrapped a plan to allow private investment in the World Cup following fierce backlash from football officials worldwide. “Our purpose has always been — and will always be — to unite and improve,” Infantino said in a statement. “As a result, this proposal will not proceed.” FIFA, […]...
World football governing body FIFA hit back at critics on Friday, vowing to press ahead with an “open and democratic” consultation with stakeholders on a proposed private investment plan. European football’s governing body UEFA said it was ready to boycott the World Cup over the proposal to create a commercial subsidiary to run FIFA’s biggest ...
•FIFA President Gianni Infantino FIFA has said it plans to sell a stake in the business operations of the World Cup and its other competitions through the creation of a semi-private subsidiary. World football’s governing body said it would retain a majority share in FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE) but hoped to raise $4.2 billion later […]...
•Argentina’s forward #10 Lionel Messi celebrates goal against England with his teammates, yesterday A British minister today called for FIFA to investigate after Argentina’s players held up a banner reading “Las Malvinas son Argentinas” (The Falklands are Argentine) after their 2-1 victory over England. Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s Dow...
•US YouTuber and online streamer Darren Jason Watkins Jr, a.k.a. IShowSpeed (C) broadcasts to his followers in Lagos on January 21, 2026 FIFA has launched a probe into alleged racist insults directed at the streamer known as IShowSpeed at last week’s World Cup match between Argentina and Cape Verde. The global football body said in […]...
•Trump and Balogun President Donald Trump yesterday thanked FIFA for suspending Folarin Balogun’s one-match ban and allowing the US striker to play in the World Cup co-hosts’ last-16 showdown against Belgium. Balogun had been set to miss today’s match after being shown a straight red card following a VAR review for stepping on the foot [&helli...
•Kansas City Stadium FIFA said yesterday it will allow fans to bring one “soft, plastic” disposable water bottle into World Cup venues after its ban on refillable bottles sparked an outcry. “All fans will be permitted to bring in one, soft, plastic 20 ounces (590ml), factory sealed disposable water bottle into any FIFA World Cup […]...
The Federation of International Football Associations has announced a new pre-match ceremony format for the 2026 World Cup that will involve all players named in a matchday squad rather than only the starting line-ups. The new format marks a departure from the traditional World Cup pre-match routine, where only the starting 11 players from eac...
•Kansas City Stadium entrance Defending champions Argentina and England will have their World Cup teams based in Kansas City under a list of training sites announced by FIFA on Monday. The record 48 teams competing in the global football showdown that begins next month will have 39 teams based in the United States, seven more […]

