Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Africa
Africa

42 dead in latest Ebola outbreak in DR Congo — WHO

The FrontierThe FrontierOctober 1, 2025 1111 Minutes read0

An Ebola outbreak declared in the DR Congo in early September has caused 42 deaths out of 64 confirmed cases.

The risk of it spreading in the region is moderate, the WHO said today.

Health authorities in DR Congo began rolling out a vaccine programme against the often fatal virus two weeks ago.

The highly contagious haemorrhagic fever has killed some 15,000 people in Africa over the past 50 years.

The deadliest Ebola outbreak in the DRC, between 2018 and 2020, killed nearly 2,300 people.

Last month’s vaccination campaign followed the announcement of a resurgence of the disease in the central province of Kasai.

‘Increased Risk Of Spread’

World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus posted on X that “at this time, 64 people have had Ebola in the DRC, of which 42 have died.”

He added that the UN health agency and its partners are supporting the government-led response.

The WHO estimates a risk of further spread as high on a national level but moderate in the wider region.

It says the outbreak is fuelled by insufficient protective equipment, incomplete contact tracing, late detection, and unsafe burial practices.

It added that high population mobility in the country and reliance on traditional healers, increased the risk of spread.

Ebola is a deadly viral disease spread through direct contact with bodily fluids, causing severe bleeding and organ failure.

It was first identified in 1976 and thought to have crossed over from bats.

The WHO estimated the mortality rate for the latest outbreak at 45.7% compared with between 25 and 90 for previous outbreaks.

The Zaire strain of the virus, for which there is a vaccine, is behind the new outbreak.

The WHO says the International Coordination Group on Vaccine Supply has approved shipment of 45,000 more doses to DRC.

The group manages the global stockpile of vaccines against several viruses, including Ebola,

Tags
DR CongoEbola outbreakwho
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Nigeria at 65: Nigerians hungry for food, not just statistics – CAN
next post Governor Fubara dissolves cabinet, holds valedictory session
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Africa

88 Nigerians to return from South Africa today

August 19, 20260
Africa

BREAKING: No survivors as helicopter carrying tourists crashes

August 19, 20260
Africa

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema wins second term

August 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

August 20, 20260
Arts & Culture

Isese Day: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo declare today work-free

August 20, 20260
Entertainment

REVEALED: Afrobeats star Davido was target of Osun governor’s convoy gun attack – Police

August 20, 20260
Interview

Nigeria’s reforms must be judged by results, not propaganda — Mayor of Urhoboland

August 20, 20260
Sports

Senate launches war on sports bodies over Nigeria’s football collapse

August 20, 20260
News

Tinubu appoints Abel Enitan as new Head of Federal Civil Service

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

August 20, 2026

Isese Day: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo declare today work-free

August 20, 2026

REVEALED: Afrobeats star Davido was target of Osun governor’s convoy gun attack – Police

August 20, 2026

Nigeria’s reforms must be judged by results, not propaganda — Mayor of Urhoboland

August 20, 2026

Senate launches war on sports bodies over Nigeria’s football collapse

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Security audit of Lagos, Abuja airports commences

March 12, 2024
3

REVEALED: How Cabal withheld funds late former President Buhari approved for my office – Ex-National Security Adviser Monguno

December 17, 2025
4

PDP condemns Lagos LG election, urges INEC to probe state electoral commission

July 15, 2025
5

INEC asked to deregister NDC, fresh suit in court

June 8, 2026
6

Nigeria’s Top 10 Songs, with ITTY OKIM •Week 31

August 2, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Akpabio to service chiefs: Adopt proper synergy in your operations

February 14, 2024
3

8 alleged fake Pastors arraigned in Anambra

June 5, 2026
4

Trump rules out meeting Canada’s Carney amid tariff row

October 27, 2025
5

Nissan to halt production at Japanese plant

July 15, 2025
6

Labour Party Senators ask Governor Okpebholo to withdraw comment against Peter Obi, apologise to Nigerians

July 20, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Avenge your death – Aggrieved mother in Jos gives dead son cutlass •VIDEO

April 4, 2026

Murder of Enugu musician: Killer cop dismissed, remanded

October 29, 2024

2024 UTME: JAMB accredits 747 CBT Centres as registration begins today

January 15, 2024

AFCON: Iwobi deletes photos on Instagram page amid criticisms

February 12, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4917
  • Politics4569
  • Crime4407
  • International3032
  • Sports2452
  • Business & Economy2267
  • Headlines2218
  • Education1367
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact