Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Outrage as suspected land grabbers invade Lagos estates, vandalise property

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 7, 2026 625 Minutes read0

Residents of Santos Layout, Valley Estate and adjoining communities in the Alimosho area of Lagos State have accused suspected land grabbers and hundreds of armed thugs of unleashing terror on their neighbourhood while enforcing a disputed court judgment.

The residents alleged that homes and businesses were vandalised during the operation, reports The PUNCH.

They claimed that shops were sealed, buildings damaged and property destroyed during the three-day operation, which reportedly took place between Thursday, July 30, and Saturday, August 1.

Speaking with our correspondent yesterday, a resident, Funmilola Ajayi, alleged that several shops and business premises were forcibly shut, while the roofs of some structures were removed.

“The thugs were very violent when they came into the area on Thursday. They locked some shops and removed the roofs of several buildings, including a sawmill. Some owners who settled them have reopened their businesses, while those who refused to pay still have their shops locked,” she alleged.

The auditor of the Santos Layout Phase 1 Residents’ Association, Saburi Odunmbaku, maintained that the estate was lawfully established and approved by the Lagos State Government in 1976.

According to him, neither the estate nor its residents were parties to the court case being relied upon by those enforcing the judgment.

“Santos Layout was approved by the Lagos State Government in 1976, and over 300 houses were built with government approval. We were never parties to the suit from which these people claim to have obtained judgment.

“We did not derive our title from them. If there is any dispute, let everyone return to court. Someone cannot wake up after we have lived here for over 15 years and ask us to vacate our homes because of a judgment in a case we knew nothing about,” he said.

Odunmbaku said the enforcement affected Santos Layout Phases 1 and 2, Valley Estate, Ajimotoko, Alimotu, Aluminium Village and other adjoining communities, adding that some banks and business premises were also shut.

He further alleged that about 400 armed thugs stormed the communities during the operation.

“They came in their hundreds. They were violent, armed with bottles and smoking openly. Anyone who questioned or challenged them was beaten.

“There was even a journalist they assaulted. Whenever they saw residents recording videos, they seized their phones and smashed them. That was what happened on Thursday and Friday.

“The police were there throughout. We were told they had been deployed to maintain peace and order, but the hoodlums carried on with the attacks. The situation remained tense from Thursday to Saturday before it eventually calmed down on Sunday,” he alleged.

The suspected thugs were also alleged to have assaulted The Guardian correspondent, Eniola Daniel, and forced him to delete footage during the operation.

Residents further claimed that other journalists at the scene were forced to flee for safety.

In a video obtained by our correspondent, another resident accused the suspected thugs of invading homes and destroying property indiscriminately.

“These people are entering our houses and breaking our gates without restraint. Is it until they start sleeping with our wives before the government acts? We don’t trust the police or the military anymore. They even told us the courts are not sitting now, so what are we supposed to do? We are begging the government to come to our aid. Some of the hoodlums came with bottles, and some even carried guns apart from the police officers who were there,” the resident said.

Another resident, Oshobodu Oluwabukola, said the community had sought the intervention of the lawmaker representing the area but claimed the attacks continued despite assurances.

According to her, the suspected thugs returned the following day in larger numbers and removed one of the estate’s gates.

“We met Honourable Akin-Johnson, and he asked us to be patient while he looked into the matter with his legal team. But despite that, they returned. We have videos and pictures of them.

“They vandalised houses in Valley Estate and Santos Layout and even carted away an entire gate. This morning they returned in even larger numbers. Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu should please come to our rescue. We bought our land legally, we live here and we have Certificates of Occupancy. Please help us,” she pleaded.

Another video showed suspected thugs pulling down the gate of one of the properties while moving around the premises in large numbers.

A woman, whose voice was heard in the footage, raised the alarm as she accused the invaders of damaging her property and taking away some of her belongings.

“They came to our compound and broke the fence and gate of our house, which has a Certificate of Occupancy,” she lamented.

The woman was also seen struggling with one of the suspected invaders over a shovel he allegedly attempted to remove from the compound.

However, the attorney to the Yaku family, Alhaji Hassan Ali, dismissed the residents’ allegations, insisting that the operation was a lawful execution of a valid court judgment carried out by court officials.

Ali told our correspondent that the Yaku family had been involved in litigation over the disputed land for several years and eventually secured judgment in its favour, making it the lawful owner of the property.

“This is purely a judgment enforcement issue. The Yaku family are the judgment creditors. They won the case against some other families and subsequently obtained an order for possession from the court.

“It was the court sheriff who took possession and locked the affected properties. Whoever owns the land owns everything on it. If anyone believes they have a better title than the Yaku family, they should challenge the judgment in court because all the relevant documents are available,” he said.

The lawyer also dismissed allegations of violence and intimidation during the enforcement, describing the operation as peaceful.

“They can say whatever they like, but the owner of the land is the Yaku family. This was a lawful execution of a court judgment and a peaceful possession exercise,” he said.

Ali further denied claims that a journalist was assaulted during the operation.

“There is nothing like that. The journalist was not assaulted by anyone enforcing the judgment. He was challenged by one of the residents while making a video. Reports alleging that enforcement officials attacked him are false,” he added.

He maintained that any aggrieved party should seek legal redress rather than challenge the court-backed enforcement.

Tags
Lagos estatespropertysuspected land grabbers
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Nigeria urged to nominate late M.K.O. Abiola’s wife for UN Secretary-General seat
next post Health crisis: Lagos short of 40,000 doctors, says Governor Sanwo-Olu
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Man allegedly kills 60-year-old mother with cutlass

August 17, 20260
Crime

Lawyers task FG on detained, missing persons in Igboland

August 17, 20260
Crime

27-year-old man charged for allegedly stealing 27 women’s underwear

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 20260
Education

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 20260
Sports

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 20260
Headlines

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 20260
International

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 20260
Politics

Edo Assembly: Why we removed Agbebaku – New Speaker

August 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 2026

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 2026

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 2026

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 2026

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Trump heads for Asia and Xi talks as Kim speculation swirls

October 25, 2025
3

TRAGEDY: Bodies of 2 children recovered from drain after torrential rain

July 2, 2025
4

Ban of new song “Tell Your Papa”: Veteran musician Eedris Abdulkareem fires back at Tinubu

April 10, 2025
5

November 11 guber election: 40 polling units without registered voters — INEC

November 2, 2023
6

Singapore hangs third drug trafficker in one week

November 22, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Rivers crisis: I was offered ₦5billion bribe to impeach Governor Fubara – Chief of staff Edison Ehie •VIDEO

March 31, 2025
3

Car dealer gets fake alert, customer absconds during test drive

November 8, 2023
4

Flood looms as Kainji, Jebba, Shiroro, Zungeru Dams get set to discharge excess water

October 3, 2025
5

Agbakoba to Tinubu: Shake up the system, kick out 38 Ministers, cut down cost •State police idea fake

March 2, 2024
6

Israeli Army carries out airstrikes on Gaza

May 6, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Kidnapped 2 bus-load passengers: Abductors want N15million to free my wife — Chude

February 6, 2024

JUST IN: Journalists shut out of National Assembly gallery ahead of Tinubu’s address

June 12, 2025

Learn from transparent UK’s local council elections – HURIWA urges INEC

May 9, 2026

Former Vice President Atiku meets ADC leaders in Abuja, urges collective action

December 2, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4549
  • Crime4400
  • International3027
  • Sports2443
  • Business & Economy2263
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1359
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health870
  • Entertainment805
  • Africa568
  • Religion483
  • Environment363
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact