Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Peter Obi seeks end to killings as fresh attacks claim over 58 lives in Sokoto, Benue, Plateau

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 19, 2026 143 Minutes read0

•Peter Obi

Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has called on the federal government and other relevant authorities to take urgent steps to end the persistent killings and insecurity across the country.

Obi made the call in a statement shared on his official X handle yesterday while reacting to the reported killing of 32 Nigerians in Ungushi, Sokoto State, and recent attacks in Ukum, Benue State, where many people were reportedly killed and others injured.

He described the incidents as “deeply painful,” stressing that the victims were not merely statistics but parents, children and breadwinners, whose deaths had left families and communities devastated.

“Let’s end this cycle of killings. The killings in Ungushi, Sokoto, where 32 Nigerians reportedly lost their lives, and the recent attacks in Ukum, Benue, where more lives have been lost and many others injured, are deeply painful. We cannot continue with a cycle of killings, condolences, promises and inaction. The government at all levels must prioritise addressing insecurity.

“We need better intelligence, proactive security, swift responses, protection for vulnerable communities and the diligent prosecution of perpetrators. The government must endeavour to protect the lives and property of its citizens. Nigerians should be able to sleep peacefully in their homes, travel safely on the roads, and go to their farms without fear,” the presidential hopeful stated.

He extended condolences to the families and communities affected by the killings, praying God to comfort the bereaved, forgive the departed and grant Nigeria lasting peace.

OBI’S message came as no fewer than 26 persons were killed and many others injured after gunmen attacked Binper community in Mangu Local Council of Plateau State. The attack, according to residents, occurred between midnight on Monday and the early hours of yesterday.

A witness, Daniel Musa, told journalists that the heavily armed attackers moved from house to house, forcing their way into homes and slaughtering sleeping residents.

He said: “As of this morning, we have confirmed over 26 deaths, while others sustained serious injuries and some are still missing.”

Another resident, John Dalyop, who confirmed the attack, described the situation as terrible, adding,

“We expected the new Commissioner of Police in the state to act quickly and go after those responsible.”

He said the injured had been taken to nearby hospitals for treatment, while community leaders and residents were making efforts to account for those still missing.

Security operatives were also reportedly deployed to the community yesterday morning to restore calm and prevent further attacks.

The Mwaghavul Youth Movement (MYM) condemned the deadly attack and decried the government’s failure to protect law-abiding citizens.

It called on Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau and President Bola Tinubu to urgently reassess the security situation across vulnerable communities and take concrete steps to prevent further attacks.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Alfred Alabo, confirmed the attack, adding that the Commissioner of Police, Faniyan Ayodeji, and his team were on their way to the scene to assess the situation.

Also, in Adamawa State, a police inspector and seven civilians were confirmed dead after a suspected Boko Haram attack on Monday night in Gaya community of Hong Local Council.

The Chairman of Hong, Aliyu Sa’ad, and a witness, Abdu Ahmadu, said the attackers invaded the community at night, razed two houses and killed eight persons.

The chairman disclosed that the military, police, hunters and other security operatives had been deployed to the area to search for the attackers.

Sa’ad added that the military barracks at Garaha, near one of the major routes used by insurgents into the Sambisa Forest, had yet to commence operations.

The state police command’s spokesperson, Suleiman Nguroje, also confirmed the attack in a statement yesterday in Yola.

He said: “The report we received from the area is that on Monday night, bodies of four civilians and an inspector of police were recovered after the attackers left. We are still waiting for an update, since troops have been deployed with all the security agencies, including vigilante and hunters, to hunt for the attackers.”

Tags
Benuefresh attacksKillingsPeter ObiPlateauSokoto
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post New 180-bed General Hospital in Somolu to become Lagos’ Head and Neck Super-Specialty Centre
next post ‘How I escaped meal that killed my fellow Almajirai’
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Man nabbed over sexual abuse of 12-year-old boy in Edo

August 19, 20260
Crime

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 20260
Crime

JUST IN: Over 20 people feared killed in attack on Plateau community

August 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
News

From theory to the lab: How two Nigerian brothers are changing science education in Africa

August 19, 20260
Crime

Man nabbed over sexual abuse of 12-year-old boy in Edo

August 19, 20260
Health

‘How I escaped meal that killed my fellow Almajirai’

August 19, 20260
Health

New 180-bed General Hospital in Somolu to become Lagos’ Head and Neck Super-Specialty Centre

August 19, 20260
Business & Economy

Commission probes price manipulation as cement hits N15,000 per bag

August 19, 20260
Education

200 lecturers did not resign from Kaduna State University over poor conditions — VC counters claims

August 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

From theory to the lab: How two Nigerian brothers are changing science education in Africa

August 19, 2026

Man nabbed over sexual abuse of 12-year-old boy in Edo

August 19, 2026

‘How I escaped meal that killed my fellow Almajirai’

August 19, 2026

Peter Obi seeks end to killings as fresh attacks claim over 58 lives in Sokoto, Benue, Plateau

August 19, 2026

New 180-bed General Hospital in Somolu to become Lagos’ Head and Neck Super-Specialty Centre

August 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

From theory to the lab: How two Nigerian brothers are changing science education in Africa

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

US detains hundreds of South Koreans in factory immigration raid

September 5, 2025
3

Canada bars visitor visa holders from applying for work permits

August 29, 2024
4

Sporting stun Man City in Champions League as Liverpool, Milan claim fine wins

November 6, 2024
5

Don’t escort VIPs in mufti – Force Headquarters warns; deploys Special Squads to airports

December 4, 2025
6

New York Times editorial board asks Biden to leave presidential race

June 29, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Sallah: Travellers spend hours on Abuja–Kaduna highway

June 6, 2025
3

We’ve serviced N63 billion of debts incurred by ex-Governor Ganduje – Kano govt

November 12, 2024
4

Separated Nigerian conjoined twins return home after successful surgery in Saudi Arabia

September 12, 2025
5

Israel strike in Lebanon kills Hamas commander, wife, 2 daughters

October 5, 2024
6

Improved gas supply drives increased power generation after vandalism repairs

December 27, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Oil prices bounce back on Iran war escalation

April 20, 2026

Why I take the bullet for PDP — Acting national chairman, Damagum

September 14, 2024

Rivers crisis draining me, family – Gov Fubara opens up

January 30, 2024

Youths set for massive protest in Abuja over undemocratic practices

July 19, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4913
  • Politics4561
  • Crime4404
  • International3030
  • Sports2448
  • Business & Economy2266
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1363
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment808
  • Africa571
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact