Skip to content
Tuesday 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Environment
Environment

Floods kill 7 in Jigawa, Kebbi

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 13, 2024 2614 Minutes read0

•A submerged area in Jigawa

Floods have wreaked havoc in several communities in Jigawa, Yobe, Bauchi and Kebbi states, submerging many houses and farmlands.

The incidents have also left many people displaced, even as major highways have been damaged, making mobility extremely difficult in some of the affected areas, reports Daily Trust.

More so, seven fatalities

were recorded, while other valuable property were destroyed in the affected states.

These incidents occurred weeks after the Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMET) had forecast heavy rainfalls and potential flash floods in several states across the country.

The agency had warned that many states in the six geopolitical zones of the country could experience flash floods.

According to NiMET, the states most likely to be impacted by heavy rains include Niger, Plateau, Benue, Kaduna, Taraba, Delta, Imo, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Bayelsa, Ekiti and Osun.

The agency had also predicted moderate to heavy rainfall in parts of Zamfara, Kano, Borno, Gombe, Adamawa, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Ogun, Oyo, Ondo, Lagos, Edo, Enugu, Ebonyi and Anambra states.

5 dead, highway submerged in Jigawa

In Jigawa State, following a heavy downpour that started on Friday, flood has rendered a major highway connecting Birnin Kudu to Malawa and Babaldu communities impassable, and this affected movement of people and goods to neighbouring Bauchi and Gombe states.

On Saturday, three girls reportedly drowned at Tulla village in Buji Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The victims: Fatima Sule, 12; Nasiya Sale, 12 and Huwaila Sa’adu were said to have been swept away by floodwaters while returning from a farm where they had gone to gather grass for their livestock.

Their bodies were recovered by the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), in collaboration with members of the local community, according to the agency’s spokesman in the state, Badruddeen Tijjani Muhammad.

A flooded house also collapsed at Made village in the state, killing one Hamza Garba and his son, Abdurrahman.

Residents said houses and farmlands were also destroyed in the areas.

In Gantsa town, Buji LGA, about 50 people were displaced from their homes, according to Aliyu Safiyanu Jahun, the information officer of the local government council.

He said those affected had been relocated to the local government quarters and nearby primary schools.

Displaced Aminu Abdulkadir, Saidu Ali and Kabiru Muhammad Tukur said they were seeking shelter elsewhere as their houses were submerged.

1,076 persons displaced in Yobe

The Yobe State Emergency Management Agency (YOSEMA) said 1,076 persons from 386 households were displaced by a flooding incident in the state.

The Executive Secretary of the agency, Goje Muhammad, told reporters yesterday in Damaturu that the flood, which led to the collapse of a bridge at Buskuri along the Potiskum-Kano highway, affected communities along the tributaries of Rivers Jama’are and Komadugu.

He said many households across 16 communities in five local government areas in the state were also affected.

According to the YOSEMA boss, the most affected areas were communities in Bursari, Jakusko, Potiskum, Yunusari and Machina local government areas where farmlands along riverine areas were submerged.

Muhammad asked residents to remain vigilant for potential hazards, including heavy rainfall, windstorms and possible disease outbreaks.

He said, as directed by Governor Mai Mala Buni, relief measures were being mobilised to assist the affected communities, particularly “at this period of economic hardship”.

Bauchi

The Kano-Maiduguri expressway, particularly at Malori-Guskuri villages and Sabon Gari in Katagum Local Government Area of Bauchi State, were also damaged.

The flood cut off the expressway, prompting Governor Bala Muhammad to appeal for federal government’s intervention.

Sabon Gari village and adjoining communities were also submerged, leaving property and farmlands destroyed and hundreds of residents, including women and children, displaced.

A resident, Abubakar Yau, told our correspondent that the flood began on Saturday evening and forced residents to evacuate their homes.

“No life was lost in the incident, but the floodwaters destroyed our houses, property and farmlands, with crops worth millions of naira lost”, he said.

He said the flood caused a truck carrying goods to crash along the expressway, thereby further disrupting traffic on the Kano-Maiduguri road for several hours.

The caretaker Chairman of Katagum LGA, Musa Azare, said: “Sabon Gari village on the outskirts of Azare town, along the Kano-Maiduguri road, has been completely submerged. Every household has been affected.

“We’ve successfully evacuated everyone from the village to nearby government quarters. Thankfully, no lives were lost in the tragic floods. We’re still assessing the damage to properties.

“Katagum Local Government Council is working with state and national emergency management agencies in this regard. The council has donated N1 million to assist the victims”, he said.

He said that Governor Mohammed had sent 900 bags of various grains—300 bags each of rice, sorghum and maize—as well as 250 mattresses and blankets to the affected residents.

The Emir of Katagum, Alhaji Umar Farouk II, during his condolence visit to the area, donated N2 million to assist the displaced victims.

Last week, two people were swept away by flood at Dakingari area of Kebbi State sequel to a heavy rainfall. Also, in Argungu area of the state, over 200 homes were also reportedly damaged.

Tags
floodsJigawaKebbikill
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Afrobeats crooner, Burna Boy launches Football Academy in Lagos •VIDEO
next post Bank directors slam FG over 70% windfall tax, say it’s excessive, ill-timed
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Environment

Kaduna govt warns against flood, launches awareness campaign

May 14, 20260
Environment

RED ALERT: 19 states exposed to flooding – NiMet warns •FULL LIST

May 7, 20260
Environment

Rainstorm kills two, destroys over 50 houses in Kaduna

May 6, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

May 19, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Peter Obi emerges sole presidential aspirant of NDC

May 19, 20260
Business & Economy

Dangote refinery reduces jet fuel price

May 19, 20260
Headlines

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 20260
Africa

FG deploys troops to Benin Republic in regional anti-terror push

May 19, 20260
Politics

Killing of school teacher by terrorists reflection of worsening insecurity under Tinubu – PDP

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

May 19, 2026

BREAKING: Peter Obi emerges sole presidential aspirant of NDC

May 19, 2026

Dangote refinery reduces jet fuel price

May 19, 2026

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 2026

FG deploys troops to Benin Republic in regional anti-terror push

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

2027 elections: Obidients take stand as coalition plots Atiku for one term, Peter Obi as VP

April 20, 2025
3

Akpabio, 10th Assembly racing against the clock, By Ola Awoniyi

September 19, 2025
4

Liverpool need ‘very special’ performance to stun PSG, says Slot

April 13, 2026
5

REVEALED: Why PDP has not won Lagos gov election since 1999 – Adediran

March 12, 2024
6

Youths protest deplorable roads in Delta

August 14, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

8 Chad opposition leaders jailed for 8 years, says lawyer

May 8, 2026
3

$4 billion refinery fund: Tinubu faces litmus test as lawyers petition EFCC on Kyari

September 18, 2025
4

Nigerian gifted movie producer Peters Adewumi dies in Canada

June 28, 2025
5

Brighton crush Chelsea to pile pressure on under-fire Rosenior

April 22, 2026
6

IMF warns Nigeria against reckless borrowing, spending

October 14, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

PDP group storms US embassy, urges Trump to protect Nigeria’s democracy

November 6, 2025

Nationwide blackout as power grid collapses again

March 29, 2024

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan may get automatic ticket – PDP

August 6, 2025

Patient drags Lagos hospital to court, seeks ₦800 million over alleged medical negligence

January 14, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4076
  • Crime3890
  • International2737
  • Sports2258
  • Business & Economy2114
  • Headlines2074
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment734
  • Africa461
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact