Skip to content
Friday 22 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Headlines
Headlines

Nigeran workers allege plot to disrupt nationwide protest tomorrow, threaten indefinite strike

The FrontierThe FrontierDecember 16, 2025 2033 Minutes read0

•Workers

Nigeran workers, under the aegis of the Nigeria Labour Congress, today, warned that any attempt to interfere with tomorrow’s National Day of Protest and mourning could spark a nationwide indefinite strike.

Acting General Secretary, Benson Upah, said in a statement that the union had received intelligence suggesting that unscrupulous agencies and desperate political hirelings might try to infiltrate or violently disrupt the demonstrations.

He added that harming even a single worker or citizen would trigger an immediate and indefinite shutdown across all sectors of the economy, reports The PUNCH.

“Our action tomorrow is not just a mere procession; it is a collective act of grief, a roar of despair from the oppressed, and a democratic demand for the fundamental right to life and security,” the statement read.

The union highlighted the deaths of countless members, teachers, farmers, miners, and other artisans amid escalating insecurity and government inaction.

The union urged all workers, students, traders, and citizens to remain disciplined, peaceful, and united.

“Solidarity is our shield,” it said.

The NLC also called on the police, who have been informed of the protest, to protect citizens’ democratic right to assemble and express their grievances.

The protest, first announced following the NLC’s National Executive Council meeting on December 4, 2025, is intended as a response to a wide range of national crises.

The NEC had expressed serious concern over the country’s worsening security situation, including the abduction of 24 schoolgirls in Kebbi State on November 17, 2025, during which two staff members were killed.

The union condemned the withdrawal of security personnel prior to the attack and called for urgent government intervention.

According to the World Bank’s Nigeria Development Update, released in October 2025, approximately 139 million Nigerians, about 61–62 per cent of the population, are living in poverty, a sharp increase from previous years.

The union has previously stressed that protests are necessary to draw attention to government failures in addressing insecurity, economic hardship, industrial disputes, and political accountability.

The union raised concerns about the tertiary education sector, noting that university infrastructure continues to deteriorate, teaching and research resources remain outdated, and staff allowances are often unpaid.

The NEC criticised the federal government’s use of divide-and-rule tactics, which undermine union unity and stall negotiations.

It urged the government to implement a fair and uniform remuneration framework for all university workers while recognising the unique needs of different professional groups.

The ongoing strike by the Joint Health Sector Unions, which began on 14 November 2025, was also reviewed.

The NLC expressed concern over the withdrawal of nurses from the industrial action and warned that, should negotiations fail, it and its affiliates would join the strike in full solidarity.

The NEC also directed the revival of the Labour–Civil Society Coalition, originally formed under Adams Oshiomhole, to strengthen collaboration between labour organisations and civil society in addressing national issues.

On political matters, the NLC criticised the Labour Party, stating that it had been hijacked by mercantile interests through the Nenadi Usman-led Caretaker Committee.

The union resolved to withdraw from these committees and focus on building coalitions with parties whose ideologies align with working-class principles, while continuing to engage with the Labour Party where possible.

The NLC warned those plotting to disrupt tomorrow’s protest to desist immediately. Any attack on peaceful protesters will be treated as a direct declaration of war on the entire Nigerian working class and its allies.

The union emphasised that if even a single worker, comrade, or citizen is harmed during the protest, the NLC will declare an immediate, comprehensive, and indefinite nationwide strike, shutting down all production, services, and sectors of the national economy.

“Any attack on our protest will be an attack on the very engine of Nigeria. The consequence will be an escalation and a total shutdown,” the union stated.

Tags
indefinite strikeNationwide protestNigeran workers
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Family, Lagos hospital at loggerheads over woman’s death after childbirth
next post National Chairman Turaki tightens grip on PDP as ex-governors, ministers close ranks
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Headlines

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 20260
Headlines

REVEALED: People told Tinubu I planned to kill him – Vice President Shettima opens up at last

May 19, 20260
Headlines

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

Court sentences man to death for killing 62-year-old woman

May 22, 20260
Politics

Deputy Speaker, 15 other Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets in Niger

May 22, 20260
International

Right to strike: Organised Labour hails International Court of Justice ruling as a triumph for freedom, justice

May 22, 20260
Politics

Don’t burn political bridges over primary losses – Lawmaker warns politicians

May 22, 20260
Politics

2027: Former Governor Amaechi’s presidential campaign posters flood Katsina

May 22, 20260
Politics

INEC to review court ruling on 2027 election timetable

May 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Court sentences man to death for killing 62-year-old woman

May 22, 2026

Deputy Speaker, 15 other Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets in Niger

May 22, 2026

Right to strike: Organised Labour hails International Court of Justice ruling as a triumph for freedom, justice

May 22, 2026

Don’t burn political bridges over primary losses – Lawmaker warns politicians

May 22, 2026

2027: Former Governor Amaechi’s presidential campaign posters flood Katsina

May 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Court sentences man to death for killing 62-year-old woman

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Abuja-Kaduna train services resume after disruption

March 18, 2026
3

Ghana’s president sacks finance minister

February 14, 2024
4

Kogi govt sponsoring Natasha’s recall from Senate, says her lawyer

March 25, 2025
5

Budgets: FG spends N38.2 billion on former Heads of State Gowon, Obasanjo, IBB, others in 22 years

January 17, 2026
6

Ecological fund: Despite over N100 billion spent, states risk flooding

April 19, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Kenyan protesters defy crackdown as police, marchers clash

July 7, 2025
3

How Bishop Kukah was convinced to chair governing council of new varsity – FG

March 22, 2025
4

Saudi Arabia executes 6 Iranians for drug trafficking

January 1, 2025
5

EPL: Arsenal beat Liverpool to close gap at the top

February 5, 2024
6

Boxing superstar Anthony Joshua’s driver to appear in court today

January 2, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Death served fresh: How Nigerians are unknowingly eating poison every day

November 6, 2025

REVEALED: People told Tinubu I planned to kill him – Vice President Shettima opens up at last

May 19, 2026

Youth Party chieftain tags Lagos APC LG primary ‘political MMM’

May 14, 2025

Ighodalo emerges winner of parallel PDP governorship primary in Edo

February 22, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4557
  • Politics4123
  • Crime3907
  • International2749
  • Sports2272
  • Business & Economy2121
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1262
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health803
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa468
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact