Skip to content
Monday 18 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Environment
Environment

BREAKING: Lagos returns to monthly environmental sanitation

The FrontierThe FrontierMarch 14, 2026 884 Minutes read0

The Lagos State government has revived the monthly environmental sanitation exercise as Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu officially flagging off the exercise at the Mushin–Agege Motor Road corridor, alongside his deputy, Obafemi Hamzat.

The exercise, which had been abandoned for years following a court ruling that nullified compulsory restriction of movement during sanitation hours, will now hold on the last Saturday of every month between 6:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. without any restriction on movement, reports The Nation.

Speaking during the flag-off, Sanwo-Olu said the reintroduction of the sanitation exercise was part of efforts by the state government to restore environmental cleanliness and instill civic responsibility among residents.

He lamented the level of dirt across several parts of the state, noting that the monthly sanitation previously observed nationwide contributed significantly to the cleanliness recorded in the past.

The governor said Mushin was deliberately selected for the flag-off because of the noticeable environmental challenges in the area, urging residents to voluntarily participate in the exercise.

“This monthly exercise used to be a national pride. This flag-off is a defining moment for us. We decided to choose this corridor because of the amount of filth here. A clean city is built by the people who live in it,” he said.

Sanwo-Olu stressed that the condition of drains and gutters in many communities showed the need for collective action, adding that maintaining a clean environment must be seen as a civic duty rather than a government obligation alone.

The governor explained that the exercise would be voluntary in compliance with the court judgement which stopped the enforcement of compulsory stay-at-home sanitation in the state.

Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, described the reintroduction of the sanitation exercise as a major step toward improving public health and environmental sustainability in the state.

Wahab said the initiative aligned with the T.H.E.M.E.S Plus Agenda of the Sanwo-Olu administration, aimed at ensuring a safe, clean, flood-free and livable environment for residents.

He commended the governor for his commitment to providing a conducive environment for Lagosians, noting that the monthly sanitation exercise was once a strong culture in the state used to promote cleanliness, community participation and disease prevention.

According to him, residents are expected to clean their homes, surroundings and drainage channels in front of their houses, while officials of the Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) will be on ground to evacuate properly bagged waste.

Wahab stressed that environmental sanitation helps promote hygiene, safeguards public health and contributes to longer life expectancy through a cleaner environment.

He said the government would continue to educate residents on the need to take ownership of their environment by disposing of waste responsibly and keeping their surroundings clean at all times.

The commissioner added that agencies under the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources, including LAWMA, LASPARK, LASEPA and the Kick Against Indiscipline (KAI) corps, would strengthen collaboration to ensure a cleaner Lagos.

He warned residents against illegal waste disposal, trading on undesignated spaces, burning refuse, patronising cart pushers and other environmental offences, stressing that the Lagos Environmental Law remains in force.

Wahab also noted that sustained sanitation would help reduce flooding across the state, urging residents to support government efforts by complying with environmental regulations.

In 2015, Lagos lawyer, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, filed a suit against the Inspector-General of Police and the Lagos State Government, challenging the legality of restricting residents’ movement during the monthly sanitation exercise.

He argued that there was no law in Lagos State authorising the compulsory stay-at-home order for three hours on the last Saturday of every month for environmental sanitation.

The Lagos State government had, however, argued that Section 41 of the 1999 Constitution allowed laws that could limit freedom of movement in the interest of public safety, adding that the Environmental Sanitation Law of Lagos State, 2000, permitted such action.

The government also maintained that the restriction was necessary to ensure a clean and safe environment, noting that essential workers, emergency responders and ambulance services were exempted.

In his judgement, Justice Mohammed Idris of the Federal High Court, Lagos, nullified the monthly restriction of movement, holding that there was no existing law in the state that made it compulsory for residents to remain indoors during sanitation hours.

The court ruled that the Constitution guarantees freedom of movement and that such freedom cannot be withdrawn without a valid law backing the restriction.

Justice Idris further held that there was no regulation authorising the government to confine residents to their homes on the last Saturday of every month for environmental sanitation.

Following the ruling, the exercise gradually went into decline until its reintroduction by the present administration.

Sanwo-Olu said the new approach would focus on voluntary compliance, community participation and enforcement of environmental laws without infringing on citizens’ rights.

He called on residents, traders and transport operators to keep their surroundings clean, clear blocked drains and properly dispose of waste.

The governor also urged market leaders, community development associations and local government authorities to mobilise residents ahead of each sanitation exercise.

According to him, environmental cleanliness remains critical to public health, flood control and sustainable urban development.

Sanwo-Olu reiterated that the government would continue to strengthen waste management and sanitation enforcement across the state to achieve a cleaner and safer Lagos.

Tags
Lagosmonthly environmental sanitation
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post BREAKING: Former Super Eagles star Henry Nwosu is dead
next post 20 things to know about late former Super Eagles star Henry Nwosu •FULL LIST
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Environment

Kaduna govt warns against flood, launches awareness campaign

May 14, 20260
Environment

RED ALERT: 19 states exposed to flooding – NiMet warns •FULL LIST

May 7, 20260
Environment

Rainstorm kills two, destroys over 50 houses in Kaduna

May 6, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

PSG’s Dembele to undergo treatment for leg issue before UCL final

May 18, 20260
Crime

DSS picks up former Governor El-Rufai after court grants bail; family kicks

May 18, 20260
Politics

JUST IN: APC makes U-turn, clears Ben Murray-Bruce, 4 others for senatorial primary

May 18, 20260
Politics

Former Governor El-Rufai being treated as political prisoner – ADC

May 18, 20260
Politics

Accord Party leaders raise alarm over plans to arrest stakeholders

May 18, 20260
Education

NYSC to enforce new certificate requirement for Corps members from 2026 Batch B

May 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

PSG’s Dembele to undergo treatment for leg issue before UCL final

May 18, 2026

DSS picks up former Governor El-Rufai after court grants bail; family kicks

May 18, 2026

JUST IN: APC makes U-turn, clears Ben Murray-Bruce, 4 others for senatorial primary

May 18, 2026

Former Governor El-Rufai being treated as political prisoner – ADC

May 18, 2026

Accord Party leaders raise alarm over plans to arrest stakeholders

May 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

PSG’s Dembele to undergo treatment for leg issue before UCL final

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Despite initial savings, FG deducts N700 billion from federation account to distribute free electricity meters

December 8, 2024
3

Al-Nassr manager Stefano Pioli faces sack amid rift with Cristiano Ronaldo

March 29, 2025
4

Commission warns content creators against filming citizens without consent

March 13, 2026
5

Suspected murderer of 2 undergraduates dies under police watch •Students demand corpse

July 20, 2025
6

BBNaija 10: Bright Morgan opens up on bond with Mide, says enjoys her ‘Shakara’

August 27, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Stop harassing opposition if you’re confident of your popularity – Former Governor Aregbesola tells APC

October 19, 2025
3

Illegal fuel depot discovered in Lagos, 5 suspects nabbed

April 4, 2024
4

Hardship, insecurity threaten annual Igbo women August meeting

August 14, 2024
5

Senate President Akpabio mourns Audu Ogbeh, hails life of service and integrity

August 10, 2025
6

I no dey for Keresimesi day, I don travel

December 21, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Man City agree fee with AC Milan for midfielder Reijnders

June 4, 2025

Lagos demolition: CSOs advocate immediate development of Makoko for safety

February 26, 2026

Arsenal pick advantage as Man City held in 6-goal Everton thriller

May 5, 2026

2027: We’re building a virile opposition in Bauchi — Former Vice President Atiku

January 19, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4073
  • Crime3889
  • International2735
  • Sports2256
  • Business & Economy2113
  • Headlines2073
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment734
  • Africa460
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact