Skip to content
Monday 18 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Families of missing Ebonyi engineers demand fresh probe, accuse Works Minister Umahi of cover up

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 6, 2026 762 Minutes read0

•Minister of Works, David Umahi

Wives of five engineers linked to NELAN Consulting have rejected recent comments by the Minister of Works, David Umahi, accusing him of attempting to “sweep the truth under the carpet” over the disappearance and presumed killing of their husbands in 2021.

In a strongly worded rejoinder signed by the wives of the five engineers, namely Mrs Patricia Onyemeh, Mrs Lovette Edeani, Mrs Ifeoma Ejiofor, Mrs Esther Aneke, and Mrs Nwazulum, the women said Umahi’s response failed to address “grave factual and moral concerns that have persisted for nearly five years.”

The statement follows Umahi’s March 16, 2026, response in which he reportedly linked the engineers’ disappearance to communal unrest, reports The PUNCH.

But the families disputed this, insisting that “the characterisation of the disappearance of the five engineers… as a general consequence of communal crisis is completely outrageous, misconceived, misrepresented, and flawed.”

The engineers, who were supervising an African Development Bank-backed ring road project in Ebonyi State, went missing on November 3, 2021, during Umahi’s tenure as governor.

According to the families, their husbands had travelled for an official meeting arranged by the state government, and were last seen in connection with the project.

“Credible accounts indicate that the victims were last seen in connection with official engagements linked to the Ebonyi Ring Road project,” the statement read, raising “legitimate questions” about attempts to attribute the incident to communal violence.

The wives alleged irregularities in the handling of the case by security agencies, particularly the Department of State Services and the Nigeria Police Force.

They questioned why a DSS investigator, identified as Victor Chijioke Onyesom, was “suddenly sacked at the peak of his investigation,” alleging that he had been tracking communications linked to the case.

“Who influenced the conspiracy to terminate the investigation at DSS?” they asked.

The families also faulted the police for presenting skeletal remains without conducting DNA verification.

“The police presented them to the family as remains of the victims, but refused to do a DNA test.

“The test further showed that one of the five skeletal remains belonged to a female, whereas the five missing engineers are all men,” the statement said.

It further accused authorities of rushing to file charges against six suspects without concluding investigations or producing bodies.

“Without a doubt, the conspiracy in hurriedly filing the purported charge… was to tactically close the investigation… and shield the real culprits,” the wives said.

They added: “Where are the bodies of our husbands? You arrested their killers.”

The families also alleged intimidation after petitioning top government officials, including President Bola Tinubu, Senate President Godswill Akpabio, and House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas.

According to them, “an undisclosed person… threatened us not to push further for the reinvestigation of the case.”

Rejecting Umahi’s position outright, the wives said: “We totally reject David Umahi’s responses as misconceived and unfounded,” citing “interference in the investigative process, the sudden termination of the investigation, the removal of key investigators, and the suppression of critical evidence.”

They described the case as a “whitewash, cover-up, mischief, conspiracy, and plot to use the court to foreclose investigation.”

The families called on the President, National Assembly leadership, and civil society groups to compel security agencies to reopen the case.

“We will have no option but to embark on another protest if the investigation is not reopened.

“The blood of our dear husbands will never go in vain,” the wives said.

 

Tags
Familiesfresh probemissing Ebonyi engineersWorks Minister Umahi
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Alleged coup: I was deceived by co-suspects – Aso Rock worker
next post Senate amends rules to block former governors from holding principal offices in 11th National Assembly
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Nigerian Army expands formations nationwide, honours fallen heroes, wounded soldiers

May 18, 20260
News

Human rights lawyer Falana urges Tinubu to rely on Defence HQ for security intelligence

May 17, 20260
News

Transparency Watch Initiative ranks two agencies among Nigeria’s best performing public institutions

May 16, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

BREAKING: Fire outbreak at Abuja National Hospital forces evacuation of patients •PHOTOS

May 18, 20260
Headlines

Nigeria Revenue Service makes tax ID mandatory for all taxpayers

May 18, 20260
Headlines

FRSC cracks down on fake diplomatic number plates

May 18, 20260
Politics

Hardship: Governors also grumbling under Tinubu – Former Governor Amaechi

May 18, 20260
Politics

Gunshots rock APC senatorial primary election as senator escapes death

May 18, 20260
Politics

JUST IN: I’m still in APC Senatorial race – Ben Bruce counters party

May 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

BREAKING: Fire outbreak at Abuja National Hospital forces evacuation of patients •PHOTOS

May 18, 2026

Nigeria Revenue Service makes tax ID mandatory for all taxpayers

May 18, 2026

FRSC cracks down on fake diplomatic number plates

May 18, 2026

Hardship: Governors also grumbling under Tinubu – Former Governor Amaechi

May 18, 2026

Gunshots rock APC senatorial primary election as senator escapes death

May 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

BREAKING: Fire outbreak at Abuja National Hospital forces evacuation of patients •PHOTOS

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

DSS warns against crowded gathering over potential threat

March 8, 2024
3

APC chairmanship tussle: We won’t allow Ganduje destroy party in North Central – Forum

September 30, 2024
4

Japan births fall to new historic low

February 27, 2025
5

Rivers civil servants threaten mass protest over budget delay

March 18, 2025
6

Police parade 123 suspects arrested during Delta ‘Yahoo School’ raid

September 25, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

4 siblings rescued from Fulani herdsmen in Anambra

December 17, 2023
3

Cleric sentenced to death by hanging for killing client

May 28, 2025
4

10 road contracts terminated due to delays – Works Minister Umahi

October 29, 2024
5

Lagos govt increases BRT fares

February 24, 2026
6

Rivers crisis: PDP governors challenge emergency rule at Supreme Court

March 24, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Trump announces 100% tariff threat on movies made outside US

September 29, 2025

Global brain experts urge govt to fund dementia care

April 7, 2026

FCT Minister Wike not APC member, lacks right to dabble in Party affairs — National Secretary

January 5, 2026

Hardship: Ex-Governor Amaechi calls for protests against politicians

October 10, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4070
  • Crime3888
  • International2735
  • Sports2255
  • Business & Economy2113
  • Headlines2073
  • Education1252
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment733
  • Africa460
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact