Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Education
Education

Gunmen attack varsity hostels, rob students of mobile phones, other items

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 9, 2026 1102 Minutes read0

•OOU main gate

For the second time in less than two weeks, about seven armed hoodlums in the early hours of yesterday reportedly invaded hostels occupied by students of the College of Engineering, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ibogun campus.

The gunmen were said to have shot sporadically before dispossessing the students of their valuables, including a car and several mobile phones.

Not less than 15 students were reportedly affected by the latest security breach plaguing the institution in recent times, reports Saturday PUNCH.

The hoodlums were said to have operated for about two hours between 1am and 3am before escaping with a Lexus ES 350 belonging to one of the students.

The President of the Nigerian Universities Engineering Students Association, OOU, Ibogun, Oluwafemi Aderupatan, confirmed the incident to our correspondent yesterday.

Aderupatan lamented that criminals had continued to disturb the peace of students and cart away their valuables, blaming the attacks on the absence of strong security presence in the area.

Speaking with our correspondent, Aderupatan said, “The armed robbers, about seven of them, attacked students in their hostels in the early hours of Friday.

“They were shooting and threatening to kill the students. They robbed about 15 students of their phones and also went away with a black Lexus ES 350 belonging to one of the students. We actually called for police intervention and they came around after the robbers had left, but the deed had already been done.

“We are also of the strong opinion that if there had been a strong security presence, these hoodlums would not have been having a field day and the effrontery to terrorise the students.”

He lamented that the police and the school management had yet to provide the security facilities promised after the first attack.

“We are equally not happy that the police post and robust security architecture that the police, the school management and community leaders promised to put in place about two weeks ago when we had a similar armed robbery incident have not become a reality.

“The truth is that these hoodlums are only exploiting the absence of strong security presence. Once we have good security presence, like a military base or a functional police post, the challenge will become history.

“We are only calling on Governor Dapo Abiodun to come to our rescue. We can’t continue to live in palpable fear or keep losing our valuables to these criminals. Enough is enough,” he added.

When contacted for reaction, the spokesperson for the Ogun State Police Command, Omolola Odutola, said the command had launched an investigation into the incident.

She said, “I can however confirm that the matter is under investigation and the police are already acting on the information available.

“The Ogun State Police Command takes every security concern within the Ibogun campus environment seriously, and efforts are ongoing to ascertain the facts surrounding the report and take necessary action where required.”

About two weeks ago, 12 gunmen reportedly attacked some students in their hostels, injuring some of them and carting away a car, phones and other valuables.

Tags
GunmenMobile phonesstudentsvarsity hostels
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post TRAGEDY: Lightning strike kills police inspector
next post South Africa must return my slain brother’s corpse – Sibling
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Education

Varsity orders investigation into viral video of lecturer assault over alleged sexual misconduct •VIDEO

August 16, 20260
Education

WAEC defends 2026 WASSCE results, dismisses unverified social media claims

August 14, 20260
Education

Nigerian governors task states on early childhood education commitments

August 13, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

At last, Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri

August 17, 20260
Sports

Cameroon beat fairytale finalists Malawi to win historic 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations

August 17, 20260
Politics

Frozen account: I’ve instructed my Attorney General to drop suit against EFCC — Governor Adeleke

August 17, 20260
Politics

2027 elections: I never reached agreement with Tinubu on his second term ambition – Governor Adeleke

August 17, 20260
Politics

Watch moment Governor Adeleke shows dancing skills on TV after electoral victory •VIDEO

August 17, 20260
Politics

Osun election: We will adopt Governor Adeleke’s victory template for 2027 elections – Opposition

August 16, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

At last, Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri

August 17, 2026

Cameroon beat fairytale finalists Malawi to win historic 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations

August 17, 2026

Frozen account: I’ve instructed my Attorney General to drop suit against EFCC — Governor Adeleke

August 17, 2026

2027 elections: I never reached agreement with Tinubu on his second term ambition – Governor Adeleke

August 17, 2026

Watch moment Governor Adeleke shows dancing skills on TV after electoral victory •VIDEO

August 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

At last, Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

ADC coalition to Tinubu’s wife: National Library can’t be reduced to personal pet project

September 3, 2025
3

JUST IN: Military confirms killing of soldiers by terrorists, silent on Army General

April 9, 2026
4

Abuja Police counters military, denies assassination attempt on Lt. Yerima

November 17, 2025
5

Panic as parents evacuate students from Federal Government Girls’ College Abuja area amid insecurity •PHOTOS

November 23, 2025
6

South Korea’s economy shrinks in Q1 as trade war hits exports

April 24, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Popular Nollywood actress announces separation from husband, says it’s better to stay alive

June 3, 2025
3

2027: Former President Buhari’s minister dumps APC

June 2, 2025
4

Japa: You can’t deny workers decent wages, still forcefully keep them – NLC President Ajaero tells FG

October 31, 2024
5

REVEALED: How my father, mother killed each other at home — 13-year-old boy

February 22, 2025
6

National Security Summit: Stakeholders reject plan, flay stalled proposals, high military casualties

May 14, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

The quiet comeback of HIV/AIDS: A Call to stay vigilant, By Sylvester Ojenagbon

October 22, 2025

National Dialogue to determine constitutional future of Nigeria holds in Lagos

March 12, 2024

Tinubu directs immediate employment for 200 Youth Corps members, N250,000 cash awards

July 30, 2025

Lagos govt warns against repeat of #ENDSARS experience

July 25, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4904
  • Politics4545
  • Crime4393
  • International3024
  • Sports2442
  • Business & Economy2262
  • Headlines2214
  • Education1356
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health868
  • Entertainment803
  • Africa566
  • Religion483
  • Environment361
  • Special277
  • Info Tech243
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade129
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact