Skip to content
Tuesday 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 19, 2026 733 Minutes read0

•Former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq

The Federal Capital Territory High Court sitting in Apo, Abuja, on Monday sustained the arrest warrant earlier issued against former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Umar Farouq, over alleged fraud involving $1.3m and N746.7m.

Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie held that the bench warrant issued against the former minister on April 16, 2026, would remain in force, reports The PUNCH.

Farouq is being prosecuted alongside Bashir Nura Alkali and Sani Nafiu Mohammed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on charges bordering on alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of office, and diversion of public funds.

At the resumed proceedings, counsel for the EFCC, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), informed the court that the matter was slated for arraignment, but noted that the first defendant, Farouq, was absent without explanation.

Jacobs said, “My lord, we were here on April 16, 2026, when your lordship granted us a bench warrant to arrest the first defendant. It was because of that the second defendant immediately approached the commission and surrendered himself in obedience to your lordship’s order.”

He urged the court to vacate the warrant against the second defendant while sustaining the order against the former minister.

The prosecutor further recalled that Farouq’s counsel, Oladipo Okpesheyi (SAN), had earlier pleaded with the court to grant him one month to produce his client.

According to Jacobs, despite the court’s reluctance to grant a lengthy adjournment under the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, the judge accommodated the defence’s plea.

“My expectation this morning will be for my colleague to say that the client he promised to produce is in court today, but alas, he did not do so,” Jacobs said.

He added, “I will urge your lordship to ensure that the undertaking is enforced by counsel to produce his client instead of asking the court to discharge the order. My lordship should not listen to them until the undertaking is enforced.”

When asked by the court to explain Farouq’s absence, Okpesheyi told the judge that the former minister was currently in Egypt receiving medical treatment.

“My lord, she is in Egypt. I learnt that her doctor said she is not medically fit to appear today,” he said.

“There is a medical report I received on my phone last night that she is in the hospital on the doctor’s advice in Egypt. She will need about two months to recover before she can come. We will be humbly asking for an adjournment.”

Justice Onwuegbuzie, however, frowned on what he described as repeated attempts to frustrate and delay the trial.

“At the last adjournment, M.S. Ibrahim promised the court to produce the first defendant. It will be impossible to grant another adjournment.

“I will not tolerate unnecessary adjournment in my court. I will give you a short adjournment, and you will go and bring her, even if she is in a wheelchair. And if she is not here, the court will do what it needs to do,” the judge said.

The judge subsequently ruled that the arrest warrant against Farouq remained active and adjourned the matter till June 8, 2026, for arraignment.

Recall that the EFCC, in the past week, declared the former minister wanted for alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of office, and diversion of public funds.

In the notice signed by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale, the anti-graft agency with knowledge of the ex-minister’s whereabouts is to contact the commission.

The EFCC directed anyone with useful information to contact its offices in Ibadan, Uyo, Sokoto, Maiduguri, Benin, Makurdi, Kaduna, Ilorin, Enugu, Kano, Lagos, Gombe, Port Harcourt, or Abuja, or call 08093322644, or email info@efcc.gov.ng, or contact the nearest police station.

Tags
arrest warrantCourtformer minister Sadiya Farouq
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post BREAKING: Peter Obi emerges sole presidential aspirant of NDC
next post JUST IN: Togo removes visa requirements for all Africans
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

30 Malians rescued from human trafficking ring in Nigeria

May 19, 20260
Crime

DSS picks up former Governor El-Rufai after court grants bail; family kicks

May 18, 20260
Crime

Oyo school attack: Christian Association of Nigeria urges FG, states to tackle situation with forceful action

May 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
International

Finland plans stricter rules for international students

May 19, 20260
Environment

Contaminated water in Lagos inflicts deadly illnesses on children

May 19, 20260
Politics

APC National Assembly tickets: A battle of wits between governors and senators

May 19, 20260
International

Global oil price jumps as Middle East tensions deepen

May 19, 20260
Africa

Africa Centre for Disease Control declares Ebola outbreak continental emergency as death toll hits 106

May 19, 20260
International

Trump holds off attack on Iran after intervention by Gulf leaders

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Finland plans stricter rules for international students

May 19, 2026

Contaminated water in Lagos inflicts deadly illnesses on children

May 19, 2026

APC National Assembly tickets: A battle of wits between governors and senators

May 19, 2026

Global oil price jumps as Middle East tensions deepen

May 19, 2026

Africa Centre for Disease Control declares Ebola outbreak continental emergency as death toll hits 106

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Finland plans stricter rules for international students

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Elder statesman Clark to northern governors: Stop arrogance of power, tax reforms must go on

December 23, 2024
3

Education, Agriculture candidates now exempted from UTME, says JAMB

May 11, 2026
4

BREAKING: US embassy in Abuja cancels all visa appointments over killing of Iran’s supreme leader Khamenei

March 4, 2026
5

Man City players face Christmas weigh-in as Guardiola issues fatty warning

December 22, 2025
6

Iran war: Police allay fears over possible riot in Nigeria today, arrest ‘fake alarmist’

March 6, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Meet Michael Boulos, Trump’s son-in-law with Nigerian roots

February 5, 2025
3

President Putin vows retribution against those trying to divide Russia

July 25, 2024
4

RED ALERT: Nigerian website owners warned of critical security flaw in WordPress plugin

March 6, 2025
5

2027 realignment: 3 ex-ministers, top politicians set to join ADC — Party chairman

June 18, 2025
6

39 killed in Kenya anti-tax protests, says national rights watchdog

July 1, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Stop politicising my private life, face nation’s challenges – UK-based Peter Obi’s son writes open letter to Nigerian critics

August 22, 2025

Nigerians lining up to collect palliative is height of indignity – Bishop Kukah

April 1, 2024

Kidnap kingpin Wadume gets heroic welcome after jail term

April 8, 2024

Your vehicles will last longer – Dangote assures Nigerians as refinery rolls out petrol

September 3, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4077
  • Crime3891
  • International2740
  • Sports2258
  • Business & Economy2114
  • Headlines2074
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment734
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact