Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Biden rejects calls to step down from presidential race

The FrontierThe FrontierJuly 20, 2024 2573 Minutes read0

•US President Joe Biden

US President Joe Biden yesterday pledged to stay in the White House race, defying a growing Democratic party revolt that raised speculation he could bow out as soon as this weekend.

“The stakes are high, and the choice is clear. Together, we will win,” the 81-year-old said in a statement from the Delaware beach home where he is in Covid isolation, reports AFP.

“I look forward to getting back on the campaign trail next week,” Biden added, as his doctor said the president was bouncing back from the symptoms of the disease.

But Biden’s political health appeared to be in far worse shape, with ten more House Democrats and two senators joining the list of lawmakers publicly calling on him to quit November’s election clash with Donald Trump.

A disastrous debate performance against Trump three weeks ago triggered panic about Biden’s age and health. More than 30 House Democrats and four senators have now called on him to drop out.

A key donor, Silicon Valley investor Michael Moritz, also joined other supporters such as actor George Clooney who want Biden to make way.

“Sadly, President Biden has a choice — vanity or virtue,” the New York Times quoted Moritz as saying.

With reports that top Democrats have also expressed concerns, polls showing Trump on course for a return to the Oval Office, and fundraising drying up, the walls appeared to be closing in.

NBC News reported that some of Biden’s family had “discussed what an exit from his campaign might look like” although there was no final decision to do so.

Vice President Kamala Harris, the front-runner to succeed him as the Democratic presidential candidate if Biden does drop out, was holding an emergency call with donors yesterday.

Biden’s campaign however pushed back against reports that he would bow out, saying that while there had been some “slippage” in support, he was still the best candidate.

“Absolutely the president’s in this race,” campaign chairwoman Jen O’Malley Dillon told MSNBC’s Morning Joe program. “Joe Biden is more committed than ever to beat Donald Trump.”

– ‘Dark vision’ –

Biden’s statement blasted his rival’s speech at the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee on Thursday, saying that “Donald Trump’s dark vision for the future is not who we are as Americans.”

But the split-screen between the two campaigns has been stark, with Trump receiving a triumphant reception from newly unified Republicans after surviving an assassination attempt on Saturday.

The pressure on Biden has soared in the last 48 hours, with reports that former president Barack Obama, ex-House speaker Nancy Pelosi and the party’s congressional leaders had all expressed concerns behind the scenes.

Top House Democrat Hakeem Jeffries was evasive yesterday, saying that the “ticket that exists right now is the ticket we can win on” but saying it was Biden’s “decision to make.”

The scene could now be set for the most crucial weekend of Biden’s presidency, with media speculation that the US leader is using his time hunkered down in Rehoboth Beach to consult family members and mull over the path ahead.

The NBC report said it could involve a “carefully calculated plan” to step aside based on his own timing, to give some dignity to what would be a historically late decision by a sitting US president not to run.

Any decision by Biden to step aside less than four months from the election would also have to try to avoid chaos in the Democratic Party over his successor as nominee.

Biden beat Trump in 2020, becoming the oldest president in US history in the process.

But a series of polls have shown him trailing Trump in the 2024 race despite his rival being a convicted felon, while some polls show Harris as more competitive.

Tags
Bidencallspresidentialracerejectsstep down
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Reps ask Dangote, Lafarge to justify cement price hike
next post Mother of teenager gang-raped by church guards cries for justice
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
International

Tinubu’s alleged drug trafficking: Why we can’t release his record – FBI

August 21, 20260
International

India clamps down on Nigerians overstaying visa, four arrested already

August 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
News

IPOB condemns Britain’s ‘selective outrage’ over Israel, Nnamdi Kanu

August 22, 20260
Africa

Another batch of Nigerians to be evacuated from South Africa next week – Association

August 22, 20260
News

REVEALED: Enugu Air runway incident linked to auto brake failure — Investigation Bureau

August 22, 20260
Sports

Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style

August 22, 20260
Crime

Another fake govt agency uncovered, Tinubu orders arrest, suspension of three permanent secretaries

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 2026

IPOB condemns Britain’s ‘selective outrage’ over Israel, Nnamdi Kanu

August 22, 2026

Another batch of Nigerians to be evacuated from South Africa next week – Association

August 22, 2026

REVEALED: Enugu Air runway incident linked to auto brake failure — Investigation Bureau

August 22, 2026

Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Babangida, his memoir and his critics, By Kassim Afegbua

March 10, 2025
3

Day 2: #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protesters in Rivers •VIDEOS

August 2, 2024
4

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY – Flood disaster: CHRAN commends Governor Umo Eno’s visit to affected communities

July 23, 2026
5

Don’t plunge Rivers into chaos, anarchy – Reps member tells State Assembly

March 22, 2024
6

Lagos govt announces closure of Marine Bridge

October 9, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Top 10 ranked universities in the world; plus Nigeria’s best •FULL LIST

October 9, 2024
3

Couple who lost older son to NDLEA officials’ bullets battle to save second baby’s sight

March 30, 2024
4

Dilapidated police barracks: 22,000 officers await relocation claims 7 months after quit notice

December 7, 2023
5

I’m now looking for money, no more trouble, says controversial street musician Portable after N2 million bail

February 21, 2025
6

We were beaten, didn’t bathe for 2 weeks in bandits’ den — Rescued Kaduna worshippers narrate ordeal

February 6, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Stop taking uncertified herbal drugs – Lagos govt warns residents

April 24, 2025

FG opens applications for 2026 overseas scholarships

January 19, 2026

Nigerians in Australia endorse Oyo aspirant’s governorship ambition

November 10, 2025

New US strike on alleged drug boat kills 4 in Caribbean

November 14, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4927
  • Politics4588
  • Crime4410
  • International3041
  • Sports2458
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2221
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health877
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa577
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact