Skip to content
Monday 18 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Business & Economy
Business & Economy

BREAKING: Protest rocks Osun State over high cost of living

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 9, 2024 4233 Minutes read0

•Osun youths protest

A group of youths today staged a peaceful protest in Osogbo, Osun State, decrying the rising cost of living, with a call on the government to immediately intervene.

The protesters, who wielded placards with inscriptions such as ‘change the unfavourable policies’, ‘Nigerians are suffering, we can’t cope again’, and ‘We are humans, stop mistreating the citizens’, among others, assembled along MDS Road, Osogbo very early, reports The PUNCH.

Despite the large presence of police operatives near the scene of the protest, the youth kept singing songs expressing the frustration of many Nigerians occasioned by the harsh economy.

Addressing the protesters, the chairman, Osun Civil Societies Coalition, Mr. Waheed Lawal, said the protest would continue until the federal government finds solutions to the current economic hardship ravaging the country.

He said, “Government must ameliorate the suffering of the people. They must do whatever they need to do to make sure that the people live in better conditions.

“Nigerians deserve the best. They promised us renewed hope but what they are giving us now is renewed hardship. We reject renewed hardship in our lives, and in our economy because Nigerians deserve the best.

“What Nigerians want is a peaceful atmosphere. We don’t want insecurity in our land again. We can’t travel from Osogbo to Ibadan without panicking. You will be thinking that they will kidnap you.

“The abduction of monarchs is the order of the day in our country now. We urge the government to provide security for the life and property of the citizens. It is their responsibility, it is a constitutional responsibility.

“Every government that fails to provide security for the lives of the citizens is no longer a government. What we are saying is simple, we are ready to face the government in this hardship and we are marathon runners.

“We have started this struggle today and if the government fails to listen to us, we will continue to mobilise our people to protest this hardship because enough is enough.”

Meanwhile, earlier in the week, youths and women took to the streets of Minna and Kano to protest what they described as the rising cost of living in the country.

In Niger, a group of women blocked the ever-busy Minna-Bida Road at the popular Kpakungu Roundabout and called on Tinubu to address the problem of ‘hunger in the land.’

Also yesterday, as a temporary response to the nation’s growing food crisis and the rising cost of commodities, President Bola Tinubu ordered the immediate release of more than 102,000 metric tons of various grain types from the National Food Reserve and the Rice Millers Association of Nigeria.

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, disclosed this to State House correspondents after the last leg of a series of three meetings of the Special Presidential Committee on Emergency Food Intervention at the Aso Rock Villa yesterday.

Idris said, “The first one is that the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security has been directed to release about 42,000 metric tons of maize, millet, garri, and other commodities in their strategic reserve so that these items will be made available to Nigerians; 42,000 metric tons immediately.

“The second one is that we have held meetings with the Rice Millers Association of Nigeria. Those who are responsible for producing this rice and we have asked them to open up their stores.

“They’ve told us that they can guarantee about 60,000 metric tons of rice. This will be made available and we know that that is enough to take Nigerians the next one month to six weeks, perhaps up to two months.”

 

Tags
Osunprotestrocksstate
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post JUST IN: Tinubu’s Ministers condemn subsidy removal, floating of Naira
next post Scarcity of Forex, high price of aviation fuel threatening our operations – Airline operators lament
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Business & Economy

Dangote Refinery drags FG to court over fuel import licences

May 16, 20260
Business & Economy

Billionaire businessman Otedola acquires additional N43 billion FirstHoldCo shares

May 14, 20260
Business & Economy

Dangote rejects NNPC offer to increase stake in refinery

May 14, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

2027: Powerful forces behind Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Makinde •Amaechi, Adebayo too

May 17, 20260
Crime

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors

May 17, 20260
Headlines

INSECURITY: Mothers cry as terrorists kidnap over 45 schoolchildren

May 17, 20260
Politics

APC primaries: Former Governor Osoba’s son picks 4th term ticket in Ogun

May 17, 20260
News

Human rights lawyer Falana urges Tinubu to rely on Defence HQ for security intelligence

May 17, 20260
Politics

Aggrieved aspirants kick as allegations of violence, self-declaration of victory mar Ekiti APC primaries

May 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2027: Powerful forces behind Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Makinde •Amaechi, Adebayo too

May 17, 2026

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors

May 17, 2026

INSECURITY: Mothers cry as terrorists kidnap over 45 schoolchildren

May 17, 2026

APC primaries: Former Governor Osoba’s son picks 4th term ticket in Ogun

May 17, 2026

Human rights lawyer Falana urges Tinubu to rely on Defence HQ for security intelligence

May 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2027: Powerful forces behind Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Makinde •Amaechi, Adebayo too

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Osifo re-elected as TUC President, pledges to tackle unfair labour practices

April 29, 2025
3

Tanker crashes in Ibadan, spills 15,000 litres of diesel

June 26, 2025
4

Presidency kicks as PDP governors accuse Tinubu of untold anti-democratic actions

August 24, 2025
5

Rashford, Garnacho, Sancho, 2 others inform Man Utd of exit

July 4, 2025
6

D-Day: Nigeria begin campaign for fourth Africa Cup of Nations title against Tanzania today

December 23, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

FCT Council elections conducted under unknown law, says ADC chieftain Kenneth Okonkwo

March 2, 2026
3

Medical Alumni call for withdrawal of UNIZIK VC advertisement

October 8, 2024
4

Nigeria @ 65: Tears of children leaders can’t ignore

September 27, 2025
5

Bandits attack Kano village, abduct 5 women

November 10, 2025
6

BREAKING: FG bows to Organised Labour ultimatum, begins payment of wage award

February 20, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: Nigeria, other countries hit by US President Trump’s new trade war levies effective today •FULL LIST

August 7, 2025

Governor Alia approves N75, 000 minimum wage for Benue workers

November 19, 2024

Marketers may lose N14 billion after Dangote petrol price cut

April 21, 2025

BREAKING: One dead, two injured in Lagos multi-vehicle accident

November 5, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4544
  • Politics4060
  • Crime3882
  • International2734
  • Sports2252
  • Business & Economy2112
  • Headlines2068
  • Education1252
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health798
  • Entertainment733
  • Africa459
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech219
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade116
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact