Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Education
Education

EXPOSED: How soldiers broke into our hostels, stripped female students – UNIOSUN

The FrontierThe FrontierJune 30, 2026 2003 Minutes read0

•UNIOSUN main gate

Military personnel allegedly attached to the Army Depot in Osogbo on Monday night invaded off-campus hostels housing students of the University of Osun (UNIOSUN), with the university accusing the operatives of assaulting students and confiscating their belongings.

The university said the incident has been reported to the management of the Army Depot, while efforts are ongoing to ensure those responsible are held accountable, reports Daily Trust.

The Vice Chancellor of UNIOSUN, Clement Adeboye, confirmed the incident to journalists during a visit to the affected hostels on Tuesday, describing the development as unfortunate.

“We have reported to the management of the depot. It is sad that the Army Depot, located close to the campus, which we felt would give us security cover, could eventually release men that will subject our students to this kind of harrowing experience,” Adeboye said.

The university’s spokesperson, Ademola Adesoji, alleged that more than 20 students were directly affected during the operation, claiming the soldiers assaulted both male and female students.

“Over 20 have already been identified as the victims. We counted the affected students. The soldiers came from Osogbo Army Depot. They assaulted the students,” Adesoji said.

He further alleged that some female students were stripped and subjected to indecent touching by the soldiers.

“Some female students said they were stripped by the soldiers. They also said they were touched indecently. Some male students were also assaulted,” he added.

According to Adesoji, two students sustained injuries serious enough to require hospital treatment, although one of them had been discharged as of Tuesday morning.

He also alleged that the soldiers seized more than 60 electronic devices, including mobile phones, from the students during the raid.

“Over 60 gadgets, including phones, were seized from the students. Five of the perpetrators were identified and brought to the campus this morning,” he said.

Adesoji, however, noted that the identified soldiers were later returned to the military base after being presented on campus.

“But they were later returned to the military base. The army division said they would be dismissed.

“The VC has taken the matter up with the army authority. We can’t confirm the alleged rape yet,” he said.

The university said it is engaging the military authorities over the incident and expressed hope that appropriate disciplinary measures would be taken against any personnel found culpable.

Army orders investigation

Reacting to the allegations, the Nigerian Army said it had commenced an investigation into the incident following a petition by the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), Southwest Zone D.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Public Relations Officer of the Depot Nigerian Army, Osogbo, Major Yahaya Ibrahim, said the Commandant had ordered a comprehensive investigation to establish the facts surrounding the allegations and ensure that any personnel found culpable would be held accountable.

The Army said its response followed a press statement issued by NANS Southwest Zone D accusing some soldiers of misconduct against students.

It reaffirmed its commitment to protecting citizens, stressing that no law-abiding Nigerian should be subjected to harassment, intimidation or assault by security personnel.

“The Nigerian Army exists to protect all citizens, especially the youth, who are the future of the nation. Any conduct that falls short of that mandate is unacceptable,” the statement said.

To facilitate the investigation, the Army called on the Coordinator of NANS Southwest Zone D, Comrade Adeyemo Josiah Kayode, to provide all available evidence, including witness statements and other relevant materials relating to the alleged incident.

The Army maintained that the alleged actions do not reflect the values, training and professionalism expected of its personnel, assuring that any officer found guilty after the investigation would face the full weight of military law.

It also disclosed that the Commandant had expressed willingness to meet with the leadership of NANS at the earliest opportunity to discuss the matter and chart a way forward.

The Army reiterated its commitment to accountability, transparency and maintaining the highest standards of discipline among its personnel.

 

Tags
female studentshostelssoldiersUNIOSUN
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Gunmen kill two Police officers at Rivers checkpoint
next post NYSC reforms: All you need to know about 11 specialised streams, new camp structure
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Education

WAEC under fire over 2026 results, alleged grading anomalies

August 18, 20260
Education

ASUU strike threat: Why Nigerian universities keep returning to same crisis

August 18, 20260
Education

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

August 18, 20260
Entertainment

Angelique Kidjo to become first African musician to get Hollywood star

August 18, 20260
Entertainment

Children cry out for help as popular Nollywood actor battles stage 4 cancer

August 18, 20260
Crime

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 20260
Business & Economy

Nigerians react as bureaucracy cripples FG’s free business registration drive

August 18, 20260
Africa

ECOWAS dangles $65,000 cash prize for top 60 startups

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

August 18, 2026

Angelique Kidjo to become first African musician to get Hollywood star

August 18, 2026

Children cry out for help as popular Nollywood actor battles stage 4 cancer

August 18, 2026

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 2026

Nigerians react as bureaucracy cripples FG’s free business registration drive

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Barewa Old Boys honour late former military ruler General Murtala Muhammed, urge return to decisive leadership

February 27, 2026
3

Managing Man United is ultimate role – Carrick

February 20, 2026
4

Repair works on Lagos–Ibadan Expressway to last 2 months, says FRSC

February 7, 2026
5

Court nullifies Lagos Speaker Obasa’s removal, voids Assembly proceedings

April 16, 2025
6

5 Akeredolu’s men quit Aiyedatiwa’s cabinet, governor shops for deputy

December 29, 2023
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Extend urgency in rescuing AIG Odumosu’s wife to ordinary Nigerians – Peter Obi tells Police

January 24, 2025
3

95 dead, 130 injured in Tibet earthquake

January 7, 2025
4

Governor Hope Uzodimma and the gamble for Imo West Senatorial seat

June 13, 2026
5

BREAKING: Ireland opens fully funded scholarship applications for Nigerians •HOW TO APPLY

June 26, 2026
6

The 10th Senate, Nigeria at 65 and legislative imperative, By Ken Harries Esq

October 5, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Those leading coalition are simply handing over 2027 elections to Tinubu – Former presidential adviser, Baba-Ahmed

June 26, 2025

No stopping the strike today – Petroleum workers insist

September 8, 2025

Impeachment plot: PDP governors to meet with Wike today

November 1, 2023

Miss Mexico wins Miss Universe contest after week of drama, accusations

November 21, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4555
  • Crime4402
  • International3029
  • Sports2444
  • Business & Economy2265
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1361
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health872
  • Entertainment807
  • Africa570
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact