Skip to content
Thursday 21 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Politics
Politics

Governor Aiyedatiwa reacts to court ruling stopping him from seeking another term in office

The FrontierThe FrontierMarch 13, 2026 833 Minutes read0

•Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa of Ondo State

Ondo State governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has reacted to a ruling of the Federal High Court in Akure restraining him from seeking another term in office, describing the decision as premature and a distraction from governance.

The governor reacted to the judgement while speaking as a guest on Channels Television last night.

Aiyedatiwa said discussions about the 2028 off-cycle governorship election were unnecessary at this stage, noting that he had only recently secured a fresh mandate from the people of the state.

“This is too early. Why don’t you wait till 2027 or when the off-cycle timetable will be out in early 2028? Maybe at that time, I might begin to think, wait a minute, do I have the right to contest or not? At that time, one can begin to seek interpretation of some of these clauses in the constitution,” he said.

The governor stressed that his focus remains on delivering on the mandate given to him by voters in the November 16, 2024, governorship election.

“I went into a free and fair, conclusive election, which I won on the 16th of November 2024, so it is still fresh. I have never thought about any other election other than delivering on the mandate that has been given to me.

“Future elections were not in my mind at all because you have to go step by step, stage by stage,” Aiyedatiwa stated.

He added that although he was aware of the constitutional provision limiting a governor’s tenure to eight years, he had not begun considering how it might apply to him.

“I know the constitutional provision of eight years, but I have not even gone into that because I just won an election. All I was occupied with was to govern and deliver the dividends of democracy to the people until somebody woke up and began to challenge it,” the governor said.

Aiyedatiwa also described the suit as a distraction after the political battles he had already faced.

“You ask how I feel. I feel the same way. This distraction will be put to rest because it is a whole lot of distraction for me, having gone through election and survived impeachment,” he said.

Responding to political insinuations surrounding the suit, Aiyedatiwa dismissed claims that he was engaged in a political witch hunt or forcing members out of the All Progressives Congress.

According to him, the party remains dominant in Ondo State, and politics is ultimately “a game of numbers,” adding that he is not chasing anyone away from the party.

Court Ruling

Earlier yesterday, a Federal High Court sitting in Akure restrained the governor from seeking another term in office.

In the judgement delivered by Justice Toyin Bolaji Adegoke, the court held that the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria does not permit an elected president, vice president, governor, or deputy governor to remain in office for more than eight years.

The suit was filed by Kin Egbuwalo, a member of the All Progressives Congress, who sought an interpretation of Section 137(3) of the Constitution regarding Aiyedatiwa’s eligibility to seek another term.

Through his counsel, Chief Adeniyi Akintola (SAN), the plaintiff argued that allowing the governor to contest again could extend his tenure beyond the constitutional limit.

The defendants in the suit included the Independent National Electoral Commission, the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Governor Aiyedatiwa, the All Progressives Congress, and Deputy Governor Olayide Adelami.

Justice Adegoke ruled that the case had merit and granted the relief sought by the plaintiff, relying on the precedent established by the Supreme Court in the Marwa v. Nyako decision, which held that a President or Governor cannot remain in office for more than eight years.

 

 

Tags
court rulingGovernor Aiyedatiwa
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Airlines may refund passengers over Christmas fare hike, says Commission boss
next post I don’t believe it’s appropriate Iran should be at World Cup for safety — Trump
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Politics

Lagos APC primaries: Aspirants petition Tinubu over alleged irregularities, seek review

May 21, 20260
Politics

39 aspirants to contest ADC primary in Edo

May 21, 20260
Politics

Real reason I stepped down for Deputy Governor Hamzat in Lagos governorship race — Ajose

May 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

May 21, 20260
Crime

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 20260
News

INEC releases Supreme Court-ordered Warri delineation report

May 21, 20260
International

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 20260
Politics

Lagos APC primaries: Aspirants petition Tinubu over alleged irregularities, seek review

May 21, 20260
Politics

39 aspirants to contest ADC primary in Edo

May 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

May 21, 2026

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 2026

INEC releases Supreme Court-ordered Warri delineation report

May 21, 2026

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 2026

Lagos APC primaries: Aspirants petition Tinubu over alleged irregularities, seek review

May 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Tinubu to Akwa Ibom stakeholders: You have a good Governor

March 1, 2025
3

Unpaid pensions: Retirees set to occupy finance ministry

November 27, 2024
4

Only Forex, international crude cost can crash petrol price in Nigeria – Expert

November 28, 2024
5

How scavenger triggered military grenade explosion in Lagos

April 5, 2025
6

EFCC’s lawyer lied, I wasn’t harassed by former Governor Yahaya Bello’s security aides – Witness tells court

June 27, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Anthony Joshua to fight YouTube star Jake Paul

November 17, 2025
3

Hardship: We can’t travel for Christmas, New Year – Nigerians lament

December 21, 2024
4

BREAKING: BBNaija star Phyna escapes kidnap attempt, recounts ordeal

February 19, 2024
5

Cursing someone online is criminal offence – Police warn •Nigerians react

December 20, 2024
6

Nurses strike: Hospital rejects patients for admission

July 30, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

ADC slams FG for linking Trump’s post to renewed terrorist attacks in Nigeria

November 21, 2025

Super Eagles’ Tolu Arokodare signs for Wolves, Uche nears Crystal Palace switch

September 1, 2025

Trump convenes first cabinet meeting, including Musk

February 26, 2025

Arsenal face Man City in Premier League summit meeting

March 29, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4550
  • Politics4098
  • Crime3900
  • International2746
  • Sports2267
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1254
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment739
  • Africa465
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact