Skip to content
Thursday 21 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Health
Health

HAPPENING NOW: Abuja doctors’ strike grounds services in hospitals

The FrontierThe FrontierSeptember 16, 2025 1173 Minutes read0

•Hospital services grounded in Abuja

The Association of Resident Doctors (ARD), Federal Capital Territory (FCT) chapter, commenced an indefinite strike yesterday, grounding services in district hospitals and primary healthcare centres, and it’s ongoing.

The strike was announced in a communique by ARD-FCT, signed by its president, George Ebong, and general secretary, Agbor Affiong.

“The Association of Resident Doctors, FCTA, at its Emergency General Meeting held on 14 September 2025, resolved to embark on an indefinite strike action with effect from 8am, Monday, 15 September 2025.

“This decision follows the failure of management to address our legitimate demands, even after a one-week warning strike,” the communique said.

The ARD-FCT had earlier commenced a seven-day warning strike over what they called systemic failures in the FCT’s health sector, reports Daily Trust.

The doctors highlighted poor welfare conditions, unpaid salaries, unexplained deductions, acute manpower shortages, the psychological toll of long working hours, and the absence of new recruitment in FCT hospitals since 2011 as pressing concerns.

Checks at the Kubwa General Hospital revealed that the strike has crippled services.

Findings showed that patients now only visit for scans, X-rays, and laboratory tests, while the theatres where surgeries are conducted have remained shut since the warning strike began.

Some patients were seen leaving the facility without receiving medical services.

A source in the hospital, who did not want to be quoted, however, said that the impact of the strike is not really felt.

“Nurses and consultants are available. Just that sometimes they are overwhelmed, because it’s only them working,” the source said.

The Head of Theatre, Mr Sani Samaila, told our correspondent that a consultant performed an operation in the theatre yesterday.

“An emergency operation was carried out yesterday (Monday) morning by a consultant. It was a staff-related case,” he said.

A visiting patient, Hassan Abubakar, said he was in the hospital for a scan and possibly to consult a doctor, but was informed that no doctor was available.

He said, “I was in the hospital on Monday morning for a scan. I was attended to but couldn’t see a doctor. I thought they had called off the strike.

“These people must consider patients. They suffer mostly.”

Chuks Chinyere, a retired teacher receiving treatment for hypertension, said she had been left unattended since the strike began.

“I was at the hospital for my regular check-up and medication refill, but there was no doctor to attend to me. My blood pressure is rising and I am afraid for my life,” she lamented.

Mukailu Hammed, who brought his aged mother for treatment, said the strike has worsened her condition.

“She needs regular check-ups for arthritis, but the hospital is empty. We cannot afford private hospitals,” he said.

The patients called on both the government and striking doctors to resolve the impasse urgently to save lives.

It was learnt that at the Bwari General Hospital, nurses had continued to manage cases and attend to patients with urgent needs.

The situation is similar in Wuse, Asokoro, and Maitama district hospitals, where patients were observed leaving without receiving care.

Additional grievances

The doctors also decried the continued non-payment of salaries owed to members employed since 2023, despite repeated engagements with management.

They noted that the non-release of the 2025 Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF) has left members indebted and unable to meet mandatory training obligations.

They further condemned the lack of recruitment of new doctors, despite what they described as an “obvious manpower crisis” that has exposed members to unbearable physical, emotional, and psychological strain, sometimes leading to avoidable stress-related deaths.

Demands

The doctors are demanding, amongst others, the immediate payment of all outstanding salary arrears to members employed since 2023.

They also called for the immediate recruitment of new doctors, with written, time-bound commitments to conclude before the end of 2025, noting that this is of utmost urgency.

The doctors are also requesting the immediate payment of the 2025 MRTF for doctors’ medical training and payment of arrears from the 25/35 per cent CONMESS review.

Others are “Immediate stoppage of all erroneous deductions and correction of irregular salary payments, immediate payment of wage award arrears, as already done for colleagues at federal and state levels, payment of 13 months’ hazard allowance arrears and immediate payment of all arrears owed to 2025 external residents.

“Urgent renovation, equipping, and upgrading of all FCTA hospitals to globally acceptable standards.”

The doctors vowed to continue the action “until the government and management show genuine commitment to the welfare of doctors and the health of FCT residents.”

“We do hope that the management will do the urgent needful to meet all of our demands for the sake of our patients and ourselves,” it said.

FCT permanent Secretary, Health Services and Environmental Secretariat (HSES), Dr. Babagana Adam, could not be reached for comments.

 

 

Tags
Abuja doctors’ strikeHAPPENING NOWHospitalsservices
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Nigeria risks another Civil War, says NNPP chieftain Buba Galadima
next post JUST IN: Heavy rain causes Air Peace flight delays in Lagos
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Health

RED ALERT: Aviation authority orders tighten health surveillance at Nigerian airports over Ebola outbreak

May 20, 20260
Health

BREAKING: Fire outbreak at Abuja National Hospital forces evacuation of patients •PHOTOS

May 18, 20260
Health

Nigerian doctors slam EFCC over raid of Uyo teaching hospital, urge Tinubu to probe invasion

May 16, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
International

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
Politics

APC declares Chinda Rivers governorship candidate

May 21, 20260
Religion

Hajj: NAHCON concludes airlift operation to Saudi Arabia

May 21, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Court nullifies 2027 election timelines issued by INEC

May 21, 20260
News

Commission seals real estate firms in Abuja for failure to address consumer complaints

May 21, 20260
Education

Varsity lecturers reject move by FG to abolish Humanities courses

May 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 2026

APC declares Chinda Rivers governorship candidate

May 21, 2026

Hajj: NAHCON concludes airlift operation to Saudi Arabia

May 21, 2026

BREAKING: Court nullifies 2027 election timelines issued by INEC

May 21, 2026

Commission seals real estate firms in Abuja for failure to address consumer complaints

May 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Northern politicians form forum to shape 2027 election direction

August 12, 2025
3

New minimum wage: How Tinubu, Organised Labour can achieve take off date

January 21, 2024
4

Turkish Airlines threatens to cancel flight operations to Nigeria over picketing

March 11, 2026
5

Panic as parents evacuate students from Federal Government Girls’ College Abuja area amid insecurity •PHOTOS

November 23, 2025
6

Lagos govt extends bursary, scholarship registration deadline •HOW TO APPLY

March 2, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

2 engineers in trouble for certifying uncompleted projects

January 20, 2025
3

IPOB wants illegal checkpoints dismantled in South East

January 18, 2024
4

BREAKING: FG declares final termination of subsidies on fuel, foreign exchange

October 17, 2024
5

Yoruba elders reject agitation for Yoruba Nation

July 8, 2024
6

Naira depreciation escalates manufactured goods imports 139% to N5.74trn

July 15, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Group decries marginalisation of indigenes in Lagos affairs

February 26, 2025

Tinubu’s associate to handle N1.4 trillion Lagos ports project

March 23, 2026

Osun 2026: Why we can’t hold governorship primary — PDP

December 1, 2025

Families of missing Israeli hostages demand suspension of Gaza truce plan

October 27, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4554
  • Politics4108
  • Crime3902
  • International2748
  • Sports2267
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1261
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa465
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact