Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Middle East War: Israeli airstrike on Beirut kills top Hezbollah commander while in meeting

The FrontierThe FrontierApril 1, 2026 1663 Minutes read0

•Site of an Israeli airstrike

Israel killed a top Hezbollah commander today, two sources told our correspondent, with a strike in Beirut that Lebanon’s health ministry said killed seven people, as Israel pursues the armed group’s leadership.

A Lebanese security source and a Hezbollah source told our correspondent that the commander, Youssef Hashem, had been responsible for the group’s military affairs in Iraq and was in a meeting inside a tent when Israel struck, reports AFP.

Israel’s military said Hashem was Hezbollah’s commander for its south Lebanon front.

Lebanon was drawn into the Middle East war in early March when the Tehran-backed Hezbollah launched rockets towards Israel to avenge a US-Israeli attack that killed Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Israel has responded with massive strikes across Lebanon and a ground offensive.

A source close to Hezbollah said Hashem is “the highest-ranking official to be targeted since the start of the war”.

Another Hezbollah member, Mohammad Baqir al-Naboulsi, was also killed in the strike on the Beirut area of Jnah, the group said.

‘Sleeping In The Open’

Several large blasts were heard across the city on Wednesday and a column of smoke was seen rising from Jnah, which is home to apartment buildings, cafes and shops.

Hassan Jalwan, who lives nearby, told our correspondent he heard “big explosions” overnight.

“Nobody knows what’s happening,” he said, adding that “displaced people have been sleeping in the open” across the area.

Lebanese authorities say the war has forced more than one million people from their homes.

An earlier strike on a car in Khaldeh, just south of the capital, late yesterday killed two more people and wounded three, the health ministry said.

Our correspondent there saw a charred vehicle and paramedics taking a wounded person away on a stretcher.

Lebanese state media also reported a strike early today on the Hadath district near Beirut’s southern suburbs, which has largely emptied of residents following repeated Israeli strikes.

State media said Israeli artillery and airstrikes also hit Lebanon’s south and east.

Army Repositions

In the south near the border, Israel has said it intends to reoccupy a swathe of Lebanon to create what officials have called a buffer zone to push back Hezbollah. Israel already occupied southern Lebanon for around two decades until 2000.

Defence Minister Israel Katz said yesterday that “all the houses in the villages adjacent to the border in Lebanon will be demolished”.

Katz’s Lebanese counterpart Michel Menassa decried those plans, while Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney denounced what he called an “illegal invasion”.

The Lebanese army announced today “a repositioning and redeployment operation” in the south “as a result of the escalation of the Israeli aggression”.

A Lebanese military source told our correspondent that the army had withdrawn from some southern towns but remained in others.

“Where there is an Israeli incursion or advance, we evacuate,” the source said.

“Because… there is a possibility of a direct targeting of the Lebanese army… and even if there is no direct targeting, there is a risk the army could be encircled.”

The source said the Israelis had advanced up to 10 kilometres in some places.

Hezbollah early today claimed cross-border attacks against Israel and said its fighters were engaged in “fierce clashes” with soldiers in the Lebanese town of Shamaa, around five kilometres (three miles) from the border. It also said it was behind rocket fire targeting a group of Israeli soldiers in another area.

Late last night, air raid sirens sounded across northern Israel’s Galilee region, according to the Israeli military’s Home Front Command, hours after what Israeli media said was a barrage of more than 40 rockets fired by Hezbollah.

Israel’s military has reported several casualties among its ranks in recent days in south Lebanon.

Lebanese authorities say the war has so far killed more than 1,200 people.

Tags
BeirutIsraeli airstrikeMiddle East wartop Hezbollah commander
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Chelsea announce pre-tax loss of £262.4 million
next post UAE set to help US open Strait of Hormuz by force
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

RED ALERT: Mad cow disease case confirmed on UK farm

August 19, 20260
International

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

August 19, 20260
International

JUST IN: US lawmaker rejects lifting Nigeria’s ‘Country of Particular Concern’ status after Plateau attack

August 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

August 20, 20260
Arts & Culture

Isese Day: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo declare today work-free

August 20, 20260
Entertainment

REVEALED: Afrobeats star Davido was target of Osun governor’s convoy gun attack – Police

August 20, 20260
Interview

Nigeria’s reforms must be judged by results, not propaganda — Mayor of Urhoboland

August 20, 20260
Sports

Senate launches war on sports bodies over Nigeria’s football collapse

August 20, 20260
News

Tinubu appoints Abel Enitan as new Head of Federal Civil Service

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

August 20, 2026

Isese Day: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo declare today work-free

August 20, 2026

REVEALED: Afrobeats star Davido was target of Osun governor’s convoy gun attack – Police

August 20, 2026

Nigeria’s reforms must be judged by results, not propaganda — Mayor of Urhoboland

August 20, 2026

Senate launches war on sports bodies over Nigeria’s football collapse

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Sorrow, tears as victims of Plateau Christmas attacks get mass burial

December 26, 2023
3

Bandits kill 6 soldiers, abduct Captain •Military silent

April 21, 2024
4

Alleged coup plot: Labour Party raises alarm over harassment of leaders by security agencies

July 30, 2025
5

FRSC stops conveying of humans in trailers

March 19, 2024
6

Ibom Air passenger brouhaha: Aviation Minister Keyamo condemns release of indecent footage, says staff to face sanctions

August 11, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Earthquake hits US cities

February 15, 2025
3

Supreme Court: Sweet victory for Sanwo-Olu, 6 other governors

January 12, 2024
4

Me sef wan japa

February 17, 2024
5

ROMANCE GONE SOUR: My wife sleeps around like a dog, never satisfied with sex. I caught her with fellow pastor, other men

October 5, 2024
6

Tinubu’s inconsistent policies affecting businesses – Peter Obi laments

February 21, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Another aspirant seeks for cancellation of Ondo APC guber primary

April 21, 2024

2027: Labour Party denies zoning of presidential ticket to South-East

February 18, 2025

US lifts sanctions on Venezuelan interim leader Delcy Rodriguez

April 2, 2026

Councillors suspend LG chairman over alleged fund misappropriation

July 29, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4917
  • Politics4569
  • Crime4407
  • International3032
  • Sports2452
  • Business & Economy2267
  • Headlines2218
  • Education1367
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact