Skip to content
Tuesday 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Nnamdi Kanu scraps IPOB’s 5-year Monday sit-at-home order in South East

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 9, 2026 1012 Minutes read0

•Incarcerated IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has announced the immediate and permanent termination of the Monday sit-at-home across the South-East, bringing to an end a protest that has disrupted social and economic life in the region for nearly five years.

In a statement issued yesterday, IPOB spokesperson Emma Powerful said the directive was issued by the group’s detained leader, Nnamdi Kanu, who urged residents to resume normal activities, reopen markets, and return children to school without fear.

According to the statement, Kanu said there is “no longer any justification” for the sit-at-home, stressing the need for the full restoration of normal life across the region.

“The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), under the supreme leadership of Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, hereby announces to the entire world that the Monday sit-at-home across the South-East is officially and permanently cancelled with effect from Monday, February 9, 2026,” the statement read.

IPOB warned that any individual or group attempting to enforce the sit-at-home going forward would be acting contrary to Kanu’s directive, declaring that “the era of Monday sit-at-home is over.” Residents were urged to remain law-abiding and vigilant.

The Monday sit-at-home was introduced in 2021 following Kanu’s arrest and continued detention after his extradition from Kenya to Nigeria to face terrorism-related charges, reports The Guardian.

Initially limited to dates of Kanu’s court appearances, the protest later became a weekly exercise, often enforced violently by armed groups.

Although IPOB on several occasions announced a suspension of the action, compliance persisted across many parts of the South-East due to fear, threats, and attacks.

The prolonged shutdowns led to significant economic losses, repeated school closures, and sustained pressure from South-East governors urging residents to ignore the order.

In recent months, some state governments took firmer steps to dismantle the practice. Anambra State Governor, Chukwuma Soludo, ordered the reopening of markets and schools on Mondays and warned that enforced shutdowns would no longer be tolerated.

Soludo directed that markets closed under the guise of sit-at-home be reopened and threatened sanctions against public servants, including teachers, who failed to report for duty. He also warned that salaries would be deducted from erring workers, insisting that there was no official sit-at-home policy in the state.

IPOB had previously accused state governments of using intimidation tactics —such as market closures and demolition threats — against traders and workers, arguing that governors had no right to coerce citizens who chose to stay at home out of “personal conviction.”

However, the group has now reaffirmed that Kanu has ordered a total end to the Monday sit-at-home and has called on residents of the South-East to go about their lawful activities without fear or intimidation.

Tags
IPOBMonday sit-at-home orderNnamdi KanuSouth East
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Music icon 2Baba names Burna Boy as the current king of Afrobeats
next post Electoral Act: Nigerian workers threaten mass action
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Nigerian Army expands formations nationwide, honours fallen heroes, wounded soldiers

May 18, 20260
News

Human rights lawyer Falana urges Tinubu to rely on Defence HQ for security intelligence

May 17, 20260
News

Transparency Watch Initiative ranks two agencies among Nigeria’s best performing public institutions

May 16, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

I thought Tinubu approved Lagos Speaker Obasa’s removal — Actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot

May 19, 20260
Politics

JUST IN: Former President Jonathan buys 2027 PDP presidential form, says party chieftain

May 19, 20260
Headlines

REVEALED: People told Tinubu I planned to kill him – Vice President Shettima opens up at last

May 19, 20260
Business & Economy

Nigeria’s tax system must align with global best practices, says expert

May 19, 20260
Politics

NDC sets up 17-member screening committee for presidential, governorship, National Assembly aspirants •FULL LIST

May 19, 20260
Crime

Abductions in Oyo show South-West must prepare to address insecurity — Yoruba leader Gani Adams

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

I thought Tinubu approved Lagos Speaker Obasa’s removal — Actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot

May 19, 2026

JUST IN: Former President Jonathan buys 2027 PDP presidential form, says party chieftain

May 19, 2026

REVEALED: People told Tinubu I planned to kill him – Vice President Shettima opens up at last

May 19, 2026

Nigeria’s tax system must align with global best practices, says expert

May 19, 2026

NDC sets up 17-member screening committee for presidential, governorship, National Assembly aspirants •FULL LIST

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

I thought Tinubu approved Lagos Speaker Obasa’s removal — Actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: Suspected Lagos notorious hired killer arraigned for murder

August 5, 2025
3

Constitution Review: Northern, Southern Senators disagree over regional govt

September 29, 2024
4

CBN suspends charges on large cash deposits

December 11, 2023
5

At last peace returns in Rivers as Wike, Fubara reconcile, say ‘we have agreed to work together’ •VIDEO

June 27, 2025
6

Lagos govt announces traffic diversion at Ikeja

March 23, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

1,319 diphtheria deaths recorded as vaccination gaps persist – NCDC

March 17, 2025
3

FG flags off CNG bus initiative •PHOTOS

October 28, 2023
4

DIA gets court order to detain policeman, 19 others for terrorism

August 28, 2024
5

Channels TV Chairman John Momoh bags lifetime achievement award in broadcasting

April 9, 2026
6

See me, see wahala dis new year (2)

January 17, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

BREAKING: Nottingham Forest beat Liverpool, break Anfield’s 55-year jinx

September 14, 2024

Former Governor El-Rufai appears traumatised by failure to secure ministerial position — APC

March 17, 2025

Arsenal reach Champions League quarter-finals with 9-3 aggregate win

March 13, 2025

Kenyan President hits back at Tinubu, mocks Nigerians

April 24, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4081
  • Crime3895
  • International2740
  • Sports2259
  • Business & Economy2116
  • Headlines2075
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment735
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact