Skip to content
Thursday 21 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Politics
Politics

Questions over Tinubu’s 2027 election campaign posters •PHOTOS

The FrontierThe FrontierJuly 9, 2025 2957 Minutes read0

•Tinubu’s campaign posters along Airport Road, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja

Campaign posters and billboards promoting President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s re-election bid in 2027 have continued to surface across Abuja, despite the fact that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is yet to release a timetable or lift the ban on political campaigns.

The development comes in spite of President Tinubu’s earlier warning to those behind the posters and billboards to desist, saying the actions violate Nigeria’s electoral laws, reports Daily Trust.

The early campaigning —which included rallies held earlier in the year in some northern states and endorsements by party leaders—alongside the campaign posters and billboards, has drawn criticism from the opposition and political analysts. They allege that the actions breach the Electoral Act and the 1999 Constitution (as amended).

Legal experts and political commentators have warned that such premature activities undermine democracy, the rule of law and electoral discipline.

The billboards, prominently displayed at strategic locations in Abuja, feature Tinubu alongside inscriptions promoting him for re-election in 2027. One major billboard was reportedly sponsored by the Grassroots Mobilisation Group, which campaigned actively for Tinubu during the 2023 elections.

Others were said to have been sponsored by Government Oweizide Ekpemupolo (Tompolo), who is calling for mass mobilisation for Tinubu’s re-election, especially along Airport Road in Abuja.

While President Tinubu has not formally declared his intention to contest in 2027, he has already been endorsed as the sole candidate for the election by his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Presidency’s earlier warning

Fresh efforts to get the reaction of the presidency on the renewed spread of campaign materials were unsuccessful, as the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, and the Special Adviser on Policy Communications, Daniel Bwala, could not be reached by phone.

However, in an earlier interview with our correspondent, Onanuga said President Tinubu had not endorsed the individuals or groups putting up the posters and billboards in his name.

“We are also warning them that the president does not endorse all that they are doing (those putting posters); that is why there was a statement to that effect. The president is not in support of those erecting billboards. The president is lawful; he wants to stick to the law and wants people to obey the law. But he cannot stop people from doing what they are doing,” he said.

Recall that on April 13, the presidency issued a statement distancing itself from the billboards promoting Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima for the 2027 elections.

“While President Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima greatly appreciate their teeming and loyal supporters for their enthusiasm, the two leaders do not support any campaign that violates the laws of the land,” Onanuga had said.

He stressed that the Electoral Act prohibits premature campaigning and warned that such actions could distort the electoral process and create unfair advantages.

He added that the president had not authorised any individual or group to initiate a 2027 campaign through any medium—whether out-of-home, print, digital, radio, or television.

“Therefore, we urgently call on individuals and groups funding this 2027 political campaign through the ongoing deployment of materials on billboards nationwide to cease immediately,” he said.

Despite the warning, the posters and billboards have remained in place, with new ones reportedly erected.

Though not legally wrong, president bears moral responsibility – Senior Advocate

Commenting on the matter, Nwoko Uwemedimo (SAN) described the situation as “concerning”, noting that the Presidency has remained silent since the initial caution, despite the increasing visibility of campaign materials.

“What can be presumed is that the presidency either approves of it or is deliberately turning a blind eye. It’s difficult to convince someone who claims not to see what is clearly visible. Former President Jonathan once quoted an Indian proverb: that it’s easy to wake someone who is asleep but not someone pretending to be asleep. That’s the dilemma we face now,” he said.

“About three months ago, the president warned individuals and groups engaging in early campaigning, especially through posters and billboards. Ironically, since that directive, the volume of these materials has increased, almost as though the warning was a green light to escalate the activity,” he added.

Uwemedimo, an Uyo-based legal expert, said that while there is no evidence directly linking Tinubu to the campaign materials, he could not be absolved of moral responsibility.

“Legally, the president is not in violation of the Electoral Act because there’s no proof he authorised or endorsed the posters. He has not held any campaign rally. It’s even possible that political opponents are behind the posters to get at him. The law only prohibits official campaigning before INEC lifts the ban, which he has not done,” he explained.

However, Uwemedimo insisted that the president bears moral responsibility.

“As president, he owes Nigerians the duty of setting a good example. Even if he is legally right, morally, he should have condemned the posters. If the federal government wanted to identify those responsible, intelligence services could do so within 24 hours. Their inaction suggests deliberate indifference,” he said.

Also speaking, Timothy Ashaolu (SAN) said the president’s earlier warning reflects his awareness of constitutional provisions but emphasised that those putting up the posters are acting independently.

“We cannot hold the president responsible. He has not violated any electoral law,” he maintained.

Atiku’s campaign banners sighted in Kano

The campaign banners of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar were also sighted at the weekend around the Malam Aminu Kano International Airport in Kano.

Recall that Atiku visited Kano on Sunday, July 6, 2025, to offer condolences over the death of Alhaji Aminu Dantata. Ahead of his arrival, some of his loyalists erected giant banners along the airport road, especially near the Babangwari roundabout.

On his arrival, the supporters, who lined up to welcome him also raised his posters, calling on him to contest for the presidency in 2027.

A resident of Kano, who works at the airport, said some of the banners were erected on Saturday and were left by the roadside for about two days.

“I saw the banners; they were not billboards, they were temporary in design just to show the former vice president that he has admirers.

“They were all removed after he came back to the airport, on his way back to Abuja,” he said.

One of our correspondents who visited the airport yesterday also saw Atiku’s name written on the tarred road leading to the airport, even though all banners have been removed. One of the writings on the road read: ‘Atiku 2027’.

INEC must return to warning politicians – Prof Saliu

President of the Nigerian Political Science Association (NPSA), Professor Hassan Saliu, said ideally, INEC should have already announced a timeline for electioneering, describing politicking as one of the most vibrant industries in Nigeria.

“According to the Electoral Act, the time for politicking has not yet arrived. But Nigerian politicians often disregard laws. So, what is happening is not surprising,” he said.

On INEC’s role, Prof. Saliu argued that the political environment is highly polarised and that the commission itself is viewed with suspicion.

He urged the electoral umpire to revisit its past tradition of issuing public warnings to politicians.

“Beyond the moral weight of such a release, INEC may find it difficult to prosecute anyone. Any attempt might be perceived as acting under government influence,” he said.

What the law says

Section 94 (1) of the Electoral Act 2022 (as amended) states: “For the purpose of this Act, the period of campaigning in public by every political party shall commence 150 days before polling day and end 24 hours prior to that day.”

Subsection (2) adds: “A registered political party which, through any person acting on its behalf during the 24 hours before polling day—(a) advertises on the facilities of any broadcasting undertaking; or (b) procures for publication or acquiesces in the publication of an advertisement in a newspaper for the purpose of promoting or opposing a particular candidate—commits an offence under this Act and is liable on conviction to a maximum fine of N500,000.”

Similarly, Section 95 (1) states: “A candidate and his or her party shall campaign for the elections in accordance with such rules and regulations as may be determined by the Commission.”

When contacted, Rotimi Oyekanmi, Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, said the commission was not aware of any registered political party campaigning.

“The Independent National Electoral Commission has not issued the Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 General Elections, and we are not aware of any of the 19 registered political parties openly embarking on campaign for the election at this point,” he said when asked to comment on the president’s posters and what the commission intends to do to enforce the Electoral Act.

Tags
2027 electioncampaign postersQuestionsTinubu
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post CBN ends loan waivers, gives banks deadline to submit capital plans
next post 38 Cameroonians locked up in Ogun building rescued
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Politics

APC declares Chinda Rivers governorship candidate

May 21, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Court nullifies 2027 election timelines issued by INEC

May 21, 20260
Politics

JUST IN: Deputy Governor Hamzat emerges Lagos APC governorship candidate, hails process

May 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
International

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
Politics

APC declares Chinda Rivers governorship candidate

May 21, 20260
Religion

Hajj: NAHCON concludes airlift operation to Saudi Arabia

May 21, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Court nullifies 2027 election timelines issued by INEC

May 21, 20260
News

Commission seals real estate firms in Abuja for failure to address consumer complaints

May 21, 20260
Education

Varsity lecturers reject move by FG to abolish Humanities courses

May 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 2026

APC declares Chinda Rivers governorship candidate

May 21, 2026

Hajj: NAHCON concludes airlift operation to Saudi Arabia

May 21, 2026

BREAKING: Court nullifies 2027 election timelines issued by INEC

May 21, 2026

Commission seals real estate firms in Abuja for failure to address consumer complaints

May 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

TRAGIC: Pregnant woman dies in Lagos hospital after alleged denial of treatment over N500,000 deposit •VIDEO

April 2, 2025
3

BREAKING: Labour Party suspends Governor Otti, 2 senators, others •FULL LIST

May 7, 2025
4

Due Process not optional: Why National Assembly’s authentication of Tax Reform Acts upholds law, order, democratic integrity

December 30, 2025
5

Rivers helicopter crash: Black Box recovered, search for 3 missing persons continues

November 8, 2024
6

PSquare’s Peter Okoye slams elder brother Jude, says being older doesn’t equate respect

June 30, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Equities sink, oil rallies on fears of Iran-Israel conflict

April 16, 2024
3

APC NWC issues certificate of return to Okpebholo today

February 24, 2024
4

Manchester United post £71.4 million loss in latest financial results

July 10, 2024
5

HAPPENING NOW: Obasanjo, Atiku, Obi, others attend Sule Lamido’s book launch in Abuja

May 13, 2025
6

Messi scores 900th career goal as Inter Miami crash out of CONCACAF Champions Cup

March 19, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Heartbreaking stories of NOUN law students as varsity cancels programme

July 29, 2024

Barcelona to face Athletic Club at renovated Camp Nou

November 17, 2025

Notorious Lagos killer gang kingpin Olori Eso in Police net

June 21, 2025

BREAKING: Kidnappers of 15 students demand N20million ransom

March 12, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4554
  • Politics4108
  • Crime3902
  • International2748
  • Sports2267
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1261
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa465
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact