Skip to content
Friday 22 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Africa
Africa

Rwanda, Congo sign peace deal in US after rebel sweep

The FrontierThe FrontierJune 28, 2025 1713 Minutes read0

Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo signed a peace agreement yesterday in Washington to end fighting that has killed thousands, with the two countries pledging to pull back support for guerrillas — and President Donald Trump boasting of securing mineral wealth.

“Today, the violence and destruction comes to an end, and the entire region begins a new chapter of hope and opportunity,” Trump said as he welcomed the foreign ministers to the White House, reports AFP.

“This is a wonderful day.”

The agreement comes after the M23, an ethnic Tutsi rebel force linked to Rwanda, sprinted across the mineral-rich east of the DRC earlier this year, seizing vast territory including the key city of Goma.

The deal — negotiated through Qatar since before Trump took office — does not explicitly address the gains of the M23 in the area torn by decades of on-off war but calls for Rwanda to end “defensive measures” it has taken.

Rwanda has denied directly supporting the M23 but has demanded an end to another armed group, the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), which was established by ethnic Hutus linked to the massacres of Tutsis in the 1994 Rwanda genocide.

The agreement calls for the “neutralisation” of the FDLR, with Rwandan Foreign Minister Olivier Nduhungirehe saying the “irreversible and verifiable end to state support” to the Hutu militants should be the “first order of business.”

The process would be “accompanied by a lifting of Rwanda’s defensive measures,” Nduhungirehe said at a signing ceremony at the State Department.

But he added: “We must acknowledge that there is a great deal of uncertainty in our region, and beyond, because many previous agreements have not been implemented.”

His Congolese counterpart, Therese Kayikwamba Wagner, highlighted the agreement’s call for respecting state sovereignty.

“It offers a rare chance to turn the page, not just with words but with real change on the ground. Some wounds will heal, but they will never fully disappear,” she said.

The agreement also sets up a joint security coordination body to monitor progress and calls vaguely for a “regional economic integration framework” within three months.

Trump has trumpeted the diplomacy that led to the deal, and started his White House event by bringing up a journalist who said he deserved the Nobel Peace Prize.

Speaking to reporters earlier yesterday, Trump said the United States will be able to secure “a lot of mineral rights from the Congo.”

The DRC has enormous mineral reserves that include lithium and cobalt, vital in electric vehicles and other advanced technologies, with U.S. rival China now a key player in securing the resources.

Trump, in an uncharacteristic expression of modesty, said he had been unfamiliar with the conflict as he appeared to allude to the horrors of the 1994 Rwanda genocide, in which hundreds of thousands of people, mostly Tutsis, were killed in just 100 days.

“I’m a little out of my league on that one because I didn’t know too much about it. I knew one thing — they were going at it for many years with machetes,” Trump said.

The agreement drew wide but not universal praise.

Bintu Keita, a senior U.N. official in the DRC, said it “marks a decisive step toward peace and stability,” while Germany hailed the “excellent news” and called for implementation.

French President Emmanual Macron also praised the “historic step forward,” adding that “peace must hold.”

But Denis Mukwege, a gynecologist who shared the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize for his work to end the DRC’s epidemic of sexual violence in war, voiced alarm about the agreement, saying it effectively benefited Rwanda and the United States.

The deal “would amount to granting a reward for aggression, legitimising the plundering of Congolese natural resources, and forcing the victim to alienate their national heritage by sacrificing justice in order to ensure a precarious and fragile peace,” he said in a statement ahead of the signing.

Physicians for Human Rights, which has worked in the DRC, welcomed the de-escalation but said the agreement had “major omissions,” including accountability for rights violations.

Tags
Congopeace dealRwandaUS
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Billionaire business icon Aminu Dantata dies at 94
next post Amusan returns as Nigeria’s number 1, overtakes Ofili
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Africa

Ebola risk upgraded to very high — WHO chief

May 22, 20260
Africa

Riot hits DR Congo hospital as Ebola response angers victims’ families

May 22, 20260
Africa

India-Africa summit postponed due to Ebola outbreak

May 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
News

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

May 22, 20260
Health

EBOLA: Airlines warned against transporting suspected cases

May 22, 20260
Politics

APC has lost its bearing, vision – Former Governor Fayemi

May 22, 20260
Education

Varsity scholarship beneficiaries cry out to FG over delayed allowances since 2024

May 22, 20260
Crime

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

May 22, 20260
Politics

Women, youths threaten to dump APC after Senator Shehu Buba’s withdrawal from Bauchi governorship primary

May 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

May 22, 2026

EBOLA: Airlines warned against transporting suspected cases

May 22, 2026

APC has lost its bearing, vision – Former Governor Fayemi

May 22, 2026

Varsity scholarship beneficiaries cry out to FG over delayed allowances since 2024

May 22, 2026

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

May 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Sexual harassment in Military: Female soldiers face unending battle with depression, abandonment

February 17, 2024
3

Nigerians sleep at airport over Lufthansa strike

April 19, 2026
4

American school writes EFCC, seeks to refund $760k of ex-Governor Yahaya Bello’s children fees

April 26, 2024
5

Forgery of tax law treason against Nigerians – Former Vice President Atiku

December 24, 2025
6

Enugu celebrates former Governor Jim Nwobodo at 85

May 11, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

How unprofessional conducts by estate agents influence rent

May 5, 2025
3

Crystal Palace vs Tottenham: Preview, team news, head-to-head

October 27, 2023
4

It’s wicked rumour – Kano grain dealers deny hoarding foodstuffs

February 17, 2024
5

Poly bans sign-out ceremonies

July 22, 2025
6

Tinubu swears in Kekere-Ekun as acting CJN

August 23, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Nigerian Guild of Editors, SERAP sue Niger governor, NBC over shutdown of Badeggi FM

August 11, 2025

Report public servants living above their means – CCB boss tells Nigerians

May 16, 2025

Senate to debate Electoral Act Amendment Bill today •CSOs protest delayed passage

January 29, 2026

Northern group rejects calls to relocate ICT Park from Kano

August 7, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4557
  • Politics4118
  • Crime3906
  • International2748
  • Sports2272
  • Business & Economy2121
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1262
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health803
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa468
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact