Skip to content
Tuesday 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

US-Israel-Iran war: More stranded travellers evacuated from Middle East

The FrontierThe FrontierMarch 4, 2026 903 Minutes read0

•A Tupolev Tu-204-300 aircraft operated by Russia’s Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos) flies over Fujairah International Airport in the gulf emirate of Fujairah, today 

More relieved passengers arrived home from the Gulf region today as further flights resumed five days into the war triggered by US-Israeli attacks on Iran.

Aviation analytics company Cirium said that of the more than 36,000 flights scheduled to fly to or from the Middle East, more than 20,000 had been cancelled since Saturday, reports AFP.

As airlines resumed limited flights out of hubs including Dubai and Riyadh, governments also chartered planes to bring home citizens affected by the turmoil, which stranded tens of thousands of travellers worldwide.

Passengers touching down at airports in Australia, France, Germany, India, Russia, Taiwan, and beyond told of sleepless nights and days-long ordeals to get out of the Middle East when war erupted.

Max Lin, a student from Taiwan, was riding a motorcycle on the beach during a long layover in Dubai when he got the news that upended his trip on Saturday, the day the United States and Israel launched strikes on Iran.

“My friend messaged me asking if anything had happened where I was,” he said.

“I looked it up and realised there seemed to be a war, so my flight that night was cancelled,” he told our correspondent after disembarking from the first direct Emirates flight from Dubai to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport since the conflict began.

Fanny Wu, who had travelled to Dubai with her two children, said bombs were “going off right next to us” as the air strikes began.

“Although Taiwan has always been close to war, we had never experienced anything like this,” she said.

Evacuations

A Russian emergency services flight evacuated 117 citizens, including 54 children, from Azerbaijan after they left Iran overland across the border.

France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, and the United States also organised special evacuation flights from countries including Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

Passenger Emmy Coutelier, 18, hugged her sister at Charles de Gaulle airport after touching down in Paris from the UAE.

When the first strikes hit Dubai, she was in a hotel swimming pool with her boyfriend, she recounted.

“We never thought this would happen,” she told our correspondent.

“An alarm sounded in the middle of the night telling us not to stay near the windows,” she said.

“We went down to the basement,” she added. When Coutelier boarded the repatriation flight, she said she felt as if she were “fleeing danger, even though it’s a relatively safe country”.

France said it would organise further evacuation flights, but government minister Eleonore Caroit called it “a complex process, with constant uncertainty because we are in a very fluid situation”.

An evacuation flight from Abu Dhabi repatriated 175 passengers to the Spanish capital Madrid.

Carolina Garcia, a student, recounted going through “a lot of anxiety”.

“And exhaustion,” added her friend Adriana Mecia.

“A lot of exhaustion. We hadn’t slept for about three days.”

The United States said more than 9,000 Americans had returned from the region since Saturday, including more than 300 from Israel.

The State Department urged Americans in all of the Middle East, from Egypt eastward, to leave for their own safety.

Israel reopening airspace 

As of today, Cirium data indicated that air traffic was virtually completely grounded in Qatar and Bahrain. In Israel, nearly three-quarters of flights were cancelled, and just over two-thirds in the UAE.

Israel’s transport minister said the country would gradually reopen its airspace overnight between Wednesday and Thursday, “subject to security developments”.

The initial flights will be to repatriate Israelis, a transport ministry spokesperson told our correspondent, saying there would be no departures for now.

The reopening had initially been scheduled for next week, but was moved up “following security assessments with professional and security experts,” said Transport Minister Miri Regev.

Sharon Kedmi, director general of the Israel Airports Authority, told reporters the re-opening will begin “very cautiously, with one aircraft per hour during the first 24 hours — a narrow-body aircraft”.

 

Tags
Middle Eaststranded travellersUS-Israel-Iran war
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post World Bank warns Nigeria, others of looming job crisis
next post We have a national treasure – Former President Obasanjo hails Nollywood diva Omotola on directorial debut
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

US to screen for Ebola at airports

May 19, 20260
International

Bodies of 4 missing Italian divers found in undersea cave

May 19, 20260
International

Russian drone hit Chinese cargo ship overnight in Black Sea

May 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

May 19, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Peter Obi emerges sole presidential aspirant of NDC

May 19, 20260
Business & Economy

Dangote refinery reduces jet fuel price

May 19, 20260
Headlines

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 20260
Africa

FG deploys troops to Benin Republic in regional anti-terror push

May 19, 20260
Politics

Killing of school teacher by terrorists reflection of worsening insecurity under Tinubu – PDP

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

May 19, 2026

BREAKING: Peter Obi emerges sole presidential aspirant of NDC

May 19, 2026

Dangote refinery reduces jet fuel price

May 19, 2026

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 2026

FG deploys troops to Benin Republic in regional anti-terror push

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Security breach: NIMASA shuts ShellPlux, TMDK terminals in Lagos

July 18, 2025
3

TRAGIC: Truck crashes into building, kills entire family of 9

January 16, 2025
4

ASUU rejects wage award, insists on negotiated salary for members

May 9, 2024
5

Bus crash leaves 14 dead, 31 injured in Mexico

April 29, 2024
6

Fourth body of Rivers helicopter crash victims recovered — Investigation bureau

October 28, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Nigerian films must meet global criteria to qualify for Oscars — Censors Board boss

October 3, 2025
3

Saudi, Europe, need our goats, sheep but…

June 7, 2025
4

Teenager locked inside dog cage for visiting female classmate

November 20, 2024
5

Nigeria sanctions Qatar Airways for consumer protection infractions

November 19, 2025
6

Army prepares for Oluyede’s leadership as wait for Lagbaja continues

November 1, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: 18 people killed in US-Israeli strikes near Iranian capital

April 7, 2026

Gunmen attack Governor’s mother, sister

December 7, 2024

I receive death threats every day – MohBad’s wife

November 8, 2023

PDP, Labour Party condemn Benue killings, ask Tinubu to act decisively

June 17, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4076
  • Crime3890
  • International2737
  • Sports2258
  • Business & Economy2114
  • Headlines2074
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment734
  • Africa461
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact