Skip to content
Friday 22 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

US-Russia talks on Ukraine begin in Saudi Arabia

The FrontierThe FrontierMarch 24, 2025 2563 Minutes read0

•Zelensky, Trump and Putin

US and Russian officials opened talks in Saudi Arabia today on a partial ceasefire in the Ukraine war, a day after delegates from Washington and Kyiv had their own discussions.

US President Donald Trump is pushing for a rapid end to the three-year war and hopes talks in Riyadh could pave the way for a breakthrough, reports AFP.

Both sides have proposed different plans for temporary ceasefires, but cross-border attacks have meanwhile continued unabated.

Originally planned to take place simultaneously to enable shuttle diplomacy — with the United States going back and forth between the delegations — the talks are now taking place one after the other.

Russia’s TASS news agency said at around 0730 GMT that the US-Russian talks had begun.

The meeting between the Ukrainian team, led by defence minister Rustem Umerov, and the Americans finished up late last night.

“The discussion was productive and focused — we addressed key points including energy,” Umerov said on social media, adding Ukraine was working to make its goal of a “just and lasting peace” a reality.

Trump envoy Steve Witkoff voiced optimism that any agreement struck would pave the way for a “full-on” ceasefire.

“I think you’re going to see in Saudi Arabia on Monday some real progress, particularly as it affects a Black Sea ceasefire on ships between both countries. And from that you’ll naturally gravitate to a full-on shooting ceasefire,” he told Fox News.

– ‘Only at the beginning’ –

But the Kremlin yesterday downplayed expectations of a rapid resolution.

“We are only at the beginning of this path,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Russian state TV.

He said there were many outstanding questions over how a potential ceasefire might be implemented.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has rejected a joint US-Ukrainian call for a full and immediate 30-day pause, proposing instead a halt in attacks only on energy facilities.

“There are difficult negotiations ahead,” Peskov said in the interview, published on social media.

Peskov said the “main” focus in its talks with the United States would be a possible resumption of a 2022 Black Sea grain deal that ensured safe navigation for Ukrainian farm exports via the Black Sea.

“On Monday, we mainly intend to discuss President Putin’s agreement to resume the so-called Black Sea initiative, and our negotiators will be ready to discuss the nuances around this problem,” Peskov said.

Moscow pulled out of the deal — brokered by Turkey and the United Nations — in 2023, accusing the West of failing to uphold its commitments to ease sanctions on Russia’s own exports of farm produce and fertilisers.

A senior Ukrainian official previously told our correspondent that Kyiv would propose a broader ceasefire, covering attacks on energy facilities, infrastructure and naval strikes.

Both sides launched fresh drone attacks on the eve of the negotiations.

– Deadly attack on Kyiv –

Ukrainian officials said a Russian drone attack overnight Saturday killed three civilians in Kyiv, including a five-year-old girl and her father.

Our reporters in the capital saw emergency workers treating the wounded early Sunday in front of damaged residential buildings hit in the strike.

Deadly strikes on the well-protected city are rarer than elsewhere in the country.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky urged his country’s allies to put fresh pressure on Russia.

“New decisions and new pressure on Moscow are needed to bring an end to these strikes and this war,” he posted on social media yesterday.

Moscow heads into the Saudi talks after a rapprochement with Washington under Trump that has boosted confidence in the Kremlin.

Peskov said yesterday that the “potential for mutually beneficial cooperation in a wide variety of spheres between our countries cannot be overstated”.

“We may disagree on some things but that does not mean we should deprive ourselves of mutual benefit,” he added.

Tags
Saudi ArabiaUkraineUS-Russia
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Suspended Governor Fubara denies links with militants, warns against fake social media posts
next post US companies with high hiring rate for H-1B visa •FULL LIST
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
International

Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk’s X

May 21, 20260
International

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

Research alone can’t fix Nigeria’s Healthcare crisis — Prof. Onoka

May 22, 20260
Business & Economy

Chinese investors may acquire majority stake in Port Harcourt, Warri refineries

May 22, 20260
Politics

Judgment on INEC timetable will push many out of APC, says ADC

May 22, 20260
Africa

India-Africa summit postponed due to Ebola outbreak

May 22, 20260
Politics

INEC timetable: Relief for opposition as parties weigh options after court ruling

May 22, 20260
News

Nigerian Navy kick-starts 70th anniversary celebrations

May 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Research alone can’t fix Nigeria’s Healthcare crisis — Prof. Onoka

May 22, 2026

Chinese investors may acquire majority stake in Port Harcourt, Warri refineries

May 22, 2026

Judgment on INEC timetable will push many out of APC, says ADC

May 22, 2026

India-Africa summit postponed due to Ebola outbreak

May 22, 2026

INEC timetable: Relief for opposition as parties weigh options after court ruling

May 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Research alone can’t fix Nigeria’s Healthcare crisis — Prof. Onoka

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Court throws out Nnamdi Kanu’s N50 billion suit against FG

April 10, 2025
3

Apollo Sports Capital acquires majority share in Atletico Madrid

November 10, 2025
4

Nike unveils new jerseys for Super Falcons

May 14, 2025
5

Senate raises alarm as terrorists from Mali, Burkina Faso invade Nigerian states

November 20, 2024
6

ADC renews call for INEC chairman’s removal, alleges bias, interference •Threatens nationwide civil action

April 8, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Premier League chief fears Club World Cup’s impact on Man City, Chelsea

January 2, 2025
3

JUST IN: Court suspends police tinted glass permit enforcement

October 3, 2025
4

JUST IN: Legendary TV series, The Village Headmaster star, ‘Kabiyesi’ dead

December 23, 2023
5

Today’s elections test for APC, ADC, NNPP, 15 other parties in Abuja, Kano, Rivers

February 21, 2026
6

Workers in 109 Nigerian embassies abroad groan over 6-month unpaid salaries

February 19, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Insecurity: Canada designates Nigeria, others as high-risk in new travel advisory

November 26, 2025

FG defends overseas medical trips by Nigerian leaders

November 2, 2024

Go to court – Tinubu tells aggrieved candidates in Ondo governorship election

November 18, 2024

UK economy to grow faster than expected in 2024/25

October 30, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4555
  • Politics4112
  • Crime3903
  • International2748
  • Sports2268
  • Business & Economy2120
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1261
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health801
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa466
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact