Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Sports
Sports

World leaders join Liverpool to mourn Diogo Jota after tragic death

The FrontierThe FrontierJuly 4, 2025 2245 Minutes read0

•Late Diogo Jota

Tributes have continued to pour in across the football world following the tragic death of Liverpool forward Diogo Jota and his younger brother, André Silva, in a car accident in Spain.

Liverpool Football Club, in an official statement released yesterday, expressed deep sorrow over the loss of the 28-year-old Portuguese international, describing the news as a devastating blow to the club, his teammates, and fans around the world, reports Daily Trust.

“Liverpool Football Club are devastated by the tragic passing of Diogo Jota,” the club said.

“The club have been informed the 28-year-old has passed away following a road traffic accident in Spain along with his brother, Andre.”

The Merseyside club requested privacy for the grieving family, adding, “Liverpool FC will be making no further comment at this time and request the privacy of Diogo and Andre’s family, friends, teammates and club staff is respected as they try to come to terms with an unimaginable loss. We will continue to provide them with our full support.”

Portugal’s President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa said: “Jota represented Portuguese football at the highest level and demonstrated a high level of professionalism and dedication as part of a generation that has taken Portuguese football to the highest level.”

And Portugal’s Prime Minister Luis Montenegro added: “The news of the death of Diogo Jota, an athlete who greatly honoured Portugal’s name, and his brother is unexpected and tragic.”

UK Prime Minister Sir Kier Starmer was among those to pay tribute to Jota.

“I am sure I speak for everyone in saying our first thoughts are going to be with his family and his friends in particular,” he said.

“There are millions of Liverpool fans but also football fans and non-fans who will also be shocked by this. It is devastating and really important we bear in mind just how difficult a period this will be for his friends and for his family.”

Prince William, president of the Football Association since 2006 and its patron from last year, also expressed his condolences.

“As part of the footballing family, I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Diogo Jota and his brother. Our thoughts are with his family, friends, and all who knew him,” read a message on the social media account of the Prince and Princess of Wales that was signed ‘W’.

The FA said: “Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with Diogo’s family, friends and team-mates at Liverpool and Portugal.”

Clubs across the English Premier League also joined in mourning the Portugal international.

Chelsea Football Club shared its condolences on social media, stating, “Everyone at Chelsea FC is devastated to learn of the tragic passing of Diogo Jota and his brother, Andre. Our thoughts go out to their family, friends and all at Liverpool FC at this incredibly difficult time.”

Manchester City also issued a heartfelt message, stating, “Everyone at Manchester City is shocked and saddened to learn about the devastating news regarding the passing of Diogo Jota. We send our heartfelt condolences to his family and friends and everyone at Liverpool Football Club at this difficult time. Rest in peace, Diogo.”

Newcastle United added, “We are deeply saddened to learn the heartbreaking news of Diogo Jota’s passing. Our heartfelt condolences are with Diogo’s young family, friends and everyone at Liverpool Football Club during this incredibly difficult time. Rest in peace, Diogo.”

The Professional Footballers’ Association, said, “We are deeply shocked and saddened at the tragic passing of Diogo Jota and his brother, Andre Silva. Our thoughts and heartfelt condolences are with their family, loved ones, and Diogo’s teammates and friends at Liverpool FC. He was a loving father with a young family and a remarkable talent, hugely respected across the game. This is an unimaginable loss, and both will be greatly missed.”

Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo, who played alongside Jota, wrote on social media: “It doesn’t make sense. Just now we were together in the national team, you had just got married.”

Five-time Ballon d’Or winner Ronaldo sent his condolences to Jota’s family, wife and children, and added: “I know you will always be with them. Rest in Peace, Diogo e Andre. We will miss you.”

Jurgen Klopp, the former Liverpool manager who signed Jota for the Reds, said he was “heartbroken”.

“This is a moment where I struggle. There must be a bigger purpose. But I can’t see it,” the German coach posted on Instagram.

“Diogo was not only a fantastic player, but also a great friend, a loving and caring husband and father. We will miss you so much.”

Former Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea also reacted to the news, writing simply on social media, adding, “Sometimes life is very cruel.”

The tragic passing of Jota and his brother has sent shockwaves throughout the football world, with tributes continuing to flow in for the two brothers remembered for their talent, humility, and dedication to the sport.

Jota’s Liverpool team-mate Darwin Nunez said there were “no words of comfort for so much pain”.

“I will always remember you with your smile, as a good companion on and off the field,” he added.

“I send all my strength to his family, from where he is I’m sure he will always be with you, especially his wife and three children.”

Liverpool legend Sir Kenny Dalglish said “football is not important at this sad time”, adding: “You feel helpless, knowing there’s so little we can do to ease the pain for his wife of just two weeks, his three beautiful children.

“Thinking and praying for all their loved ones after the devastating loss of both Diogo and Andre. YNWA.”

Manchester United captain and Portugal team-mate Bruno Fernandes called Jota a “friend colleague and companion of a thousand battles”.

He added: “It’s hard to understand how can someone leave so soon.

“May you and your brother find the peace you need to watch over your loved ones who lost you too soon and suddenly. My condolences to all your family.”

Jota’s Portugal team-mate Ruben Neves, who is playing at the Fifa Club World Cup for Al-Hilal, said: “They say we only lose people when we forget them. I will never forget you.”

NBA legend and LA Lakers power forward LeBron James, who is a minority owner of Liverpool, wrote on X “my prayers go out to his loved ones”.

Legendary tennis player Rafael Nadal described Jota’s death as “sad and painful news”.

“All my love, affection and support go out to his wife, children, family and friends at this difficult time,” the 22-time Grand Slam champion added.

Tags
Diogo JotaLiverpooltragic deathWorld leaders
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Adam: A new family planning method for men?
next post Stray bullet kills 12-year-old boy during attack on Lagos community
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Sports

Coventry sign Nigeria’s Super Eagles striker Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest

August 18, 20260
Sports

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 20260
Sports

At last, Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Business & Economy

Concerns as cost-of-living pressure lingers despite easing inflation

August 18, 20260
Education

ASUU strike threat: Why Nigerian universities keep returning to same crisis

August 18, 20260
Politics

Workers hold victory rally for Governor Adeleke, back Tinubu’s second term bid

August 18, 20260
Politics

2027 elections: APC, NDC, ADC, others get INEC’s approval for campaigns, but…

August 18, 20260
Africa

83 more Nigerians to return from South Africa – FG

August 18, 20260
Politics

Only way to rig 2027 election is not to conduct it, says former aviation minister Chidoka

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Concerns as cost-of-living pressure lingers despite easing inflation

August 18, 2026

ASUU strike threat: Why Nigerian universities keep returning to same crisis

August 18, 2026

Workers hold victory rally for Governor Adeleke, back Tinubu’s second term bid

August 18, 2026

2027 elections: APC, NDC, ADC, others get INEC’s approval for campaigns, but…

August 18, 2026

83 more Nigerians to return from South Africa – FG

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Concerns as cost-of-living pressure lingers despite easing inflation

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Yuletide: Oyo, Ogun, Lagos, Osun govts reassure residents on adequate security

November 28, 2025
3

Hunger protest: How soldier’s bullet pierced my younger brother’s throat – Sibling laments

August 12, 2024
4

Political parties announce date to hold nationwide rally supporting new tax regime

January 2, 2026
5

Names of military personnel killed in Delta State •FULL LIST

March 19, 2024
6

Gunmen storm Abuja, kidnap 13, demand N900 million ransom

May 7, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

2024 budget too small to meet Nigeria’s needs — Budget Office

December 7, 2023
3

Senate orders arrest of former NNPCL boss Kyari over N210 trillion unaccounted funds

June 10, 2026
4

REVEALED: How I got phone recording of Bobrisky — VeryDarkMan tells House of Representatives

September 30, 2024
5

BIAFRA DAY: MASSOB urges members to sit at home on May 30

May 14, 2026
6

BREAKING: Another fuel tanker crashes on highway

March 3, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Labour Party to probe Governor Otti, others over ‘anti-party’ activities

May 2, 2025

We demand public apology from Dangote Refinery — Trade Union Congress

September 29, 2025

Spain to probe Meta for alleged privacy breaches, says Prime Minister Sanchez

November 19, 2025

REVEALED: Real reason Nigeria’s sensuous singer Ayra Starr was denied South African visa — Envoy

August 8, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4552
  • Crime4400
  • International3027
  • Sports2444
  • Business & Economy2264
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1360
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health870
  • Entertainment805
  • Africa569
  • Religion483
  • Environment363
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact