Skip to content
Thursday 21 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

2025 budget: Ministries in dilemma as fund requests suspended

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 14, 2025 1557 Minutes read0

•Accountant-General of the Federation, Shamseldeen Ogunjimi

The federal government may extend the 2025 budget into 2026, as slow capital project implementation, procurement delays, and a shutdown of the cash-planning portal have left many projects stalled about eight months into the fiscal year.

The possibility of a rollover came to light at a stakeholders’ engagement in Abuja yesterday, organised by the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation to review progress and challenges in implementing the extended 2024 capital budget and the 2025 capital budget under the Bottom-Up Cash Planning Policy.

It was learnt that before any contract is signed, ministries, departments, and agencies must submit a monthly cash plan on an online platform provided by the OAGF, reports The PUNCH.

This cash plan, which sets out the projects to be funded and the amounts required, is reviewed and consolidated by the OAGF into a federal cash plan.

The consolidated plan is then sent to the Ministry of Finance for approval. Once approved, the ministry issues warrants—formal authorisations to spend—which are returned to the OAGF to be uploaded on the same portal. Only then can MDAs upload their payment plans, after which funds are released directly to contractors, suppliers, or beneficiaries.

However, since May, the portal has been locked for uploading cash plans for 2025 expenditures and contracts. Without cash plans, warrants cannot be issued; without warrants, payment plans cannot be uploaded; and without payment plans, no funds can be released.

A director-general under an agency in the health sector told our correspondent that “we are complaining that the platform has been blocked since none of us could upload our cash plans since May.”

Presiding over the meeting, the Accountant-General of the Federation, Shamseldeen Ogunjimi, said the BUCPP was designed to ensure the government spent within its means by requiring warrants or Authorities to Incur Expenditure before commitments were made. He accused some MDAs of breaching the Public Procurement Act 2007 and other regulations, awarding contracts simply because they were budgeted for, without regard to cash availability.

He also faulted the trend of loading cash needs heavily with staff-related costs and mobilisation fees while leaving ongoing and completed projects unfunded. This, he said, had forced some contractors to borrow from banks at high interest rates and left priority government projects unattended.

“Without [a warrant], no MDA is allowed to award a new contract or process any capital payments in the GIFMIS platform,” Ogunjimi warned. He added that cash plans submitted between February and March for the extended 2024 budget had already been warranted, and that payments authorised but unused were now being finalised.

Ogunjimi assured participants that previously captured commitments would be honoured. “For those who have awarded contracts, the contract has been loaded on the GIFMIS platform, cash one has been done, it has become a liability to the government that we are ready to fund and we will fund them,” he said.

But he made it clear that when the portal reopens, “any new entrance” will be treated as a new contract and must comply with the revised process.

He urged accounting officers to start payment initiation where warrants had been issued, insisting there were enough funds in the Capital Development Fund to cover them.

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, backed the Treasury’s stance. He stressed that “no letter of award is to be issued, contract signed, or any financial obligation entered into unless corresponding warrants and AIEs covering the full or committed portion have been duly released.”

Edun said the BUCPP was intended to make the payment system “more rigorous, more transparent, more accountable” by paying contractors and suppliers directly, without any middlemen.

He acknowledged that the government must meet existing obligations but said the priority was to direct new funds into productive investments that would expand the economy, create jobs, and lift millions out of poverty.

“We spend what we have earned,” he said, warning that the old habit of committing funds without authority had to stop “right now, right here.”

Also speaking, the Director-General of the Budget Office of the Federation, Tanimu Yakubu said Nigeria had lost nearly 60 per cent of its gross oil revenue to deductions under the Petroleum Industry Act 2022, which allocates 30 per cent to the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited as management fees and another 30 per cent to the Frontier Exploration Fund.

“Once the Act came into effect without new revenue sources to replace the loss, we lost a sizable part of what used to fund 80 per cent of public expenditure,” Yakubu said. He added that oil revenues had performed even worse in the first half of 2025 due to low prices and output shortfalls.

Matters were made worse, he said, by the fact that 2025 revenues were used early in the year to fund the extended 2024 budget, forcing the government to rank all spending into Category A, B, and C projects. Yakubu said he had begun moves in the National Assembly to amend the PIA to recover part of the lost revenue.

He also disclosed that not all the loans approved under the 2024 National Borrowing Plan were raised, but the Finance Ministry would raise the balance to close the extended 2024 capital budget without further eating into 2025 funds.

On procurement, the Director-General of the Bureau of Public Procurement, Dr Adebowale Adedokun, backed the warrant-first approach. He said projects without adequate warrants or proper planning would “no longer be issued with relevant certification,” and reminded MDAs that mobilisation fees were capped at 30 per cent under the Finance Act.

He urged them to use open advertising as the default procurement method, warning that too many requests for selective tendering made funding more difficult.

“Our job is to ensure that we deliver and make Nigerians have value for every kobo spent,” he said.

Auditor-General of the Federation, Shaakaa Chira, told accounting officers they would be personally accountable for ensuring compliance.

“Our collective legacy will be judged not by the size of the budget we manage, but by the quality and sustainability of the result we deliver,” he said, promising audits focused on compliance, performance, and value for money.

Chairman of the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission, Dr Mohammed Shehu, emphasised the need to mobilise more revenue.

He noted that monthly allocations shared to states had risen from about N700bn in 2022–2023 to N1.7tn currently, and described ongoing reforms, especially in tax, as vital to plugging leakages and increasing funds for development.

Director of Funds at OAGF, Steve Ehikhamenor, broke down the operational changes. On 28th February 2025, he said, the total amount of capital transfers from 2024 was automatically added to the 2025 capital budget on the OAGF platform, increasing the funding requirement.

Under the revised BUCPP, MDAs must upload their legal and financial commitments as monthly cash needs, which the OAGF consolidates and sends to the Finance Ministry for warrants. Once warrants are issued, the OAGF funds the portal and pays beneficiaries directly.

He confirmed that cash plans submitted between February and March under the extended 2024 budget had been warranted and that other outstanding plans were being processed. Going forward, MDAs must submit separate annual implementation plans for the extended 2024 and the 2025 budgets, and no expenditure—including staff payables—can be incurred without a warrant.

He urged MDAs with existing warrants to begin payments immediately, saying the funds were ready and would not be diverted. The interactive session laid bare the tensions. Agriculture officials complained that waiting for warrants could make seasonal projects, such as fertiliser distribution, miss their planting windows.

Others asked what would happen to the award letters already issued while the portal remained shut. Ogunjimi replied that contracts already loaded on the portal with completed cash plans would be funded. “It is a commitment and we are going to fund it,” he said.

A permanent secretary urged issuing warrants first so MDAs could prioritise realistically, warning that contractors were increasingly refusing to accept award letters without cash backing. Another participant pointed out that delays between budget approval and release meant some constituency projects became obsolete before they were funded.

Yakubu from the Budget Office later presented compliance “guardrails” to ensure spending stayed within National Assembly approvals, that warrants matched appropriated rollover amounts, that quarterly cash plans reflected legislative priorities, and that unspent 2024 balances were ring-fenced for their original projects.

By the end of the stakeholder engagement, there was still no specific date for reopening the portal for uploading 2025 cash plans. Senior officials in attendance admitted that a rollover into 2026 may be considered, similar to the ongoing extension of the 2024 budget to December 31, 2025.

It was earlier reported that the Senate and the House of Representatives, for the second time, extended the implementation of the capital component of the 2024 budget to December 31, 2025, sparking renewed criticism against President Bola Tinubu and the National Assembly.

A source at a federal ministry earlier disclosed that the implementation of the 2025 national budget is yet to commence.

Speaking off the record due to the fear of being victimised, the senior official said all expenses and operations at the ministry were still being executed under the 2024 budget, which has led to widespread delays in payments to contractors and government workers.

A development economist based in Abuja, Dr Aliyu Ilias, had described the repeated extension of the capital budget as a worrying precedent that could distort the country’s budgetary process. In a phone interview with our correspondent, Ilias warned that running two capital budgets concurrently could create room for duplication and reduce transparency in project implementation.

Tags
2025 budgetdilemmafund requestsministries
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Jail-break: Governor decries large number of inmates awaiting trial
next post Cyber attack hits Customs, disrupts cargo clearance
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Dispatch rider dies in Lagos road crash

May 20, 20260
News

JUST IN: Three injured as mosque collapses

May 20, 20260
News

7 feared killed as LG chairman survives road accident

May 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Business & Economy

Multi-billionaire businessman Otedola to invest $100 million in Dangote refinery

May 20, 20260
News

Dispatch rider dies in Lagos road crash

May 20, 20260
News

JUST IN: Three injured as mosque collapses

May 20, 20260
Crime

Insecurity: South-West now becoming landscape of fear – Actor Lateef Adedimeji

May 20, 20260
Crime

School proprietor sentenced to life imprisonment for defiling 6-year-old pupil

May 20, 20260
Politics

Political storm sinks actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot’s fourth-term ambition

May 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Multi-billionaire businessman Otedola to invest $100 million in Dangote refinery

May 20, 2026

Dispatch rider dies in Lagos road crash

May 20, 2026

JUST IN: Three injured as mosque collapses

May 20, 2026

Insecurity: South-West now becoming landscape of fear – Actor Lateef Adedimeji

May 20, 2026

School proprietor sentenced to life imprisonment for defiling 6-year-old pupil

May 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Multi-billionaire businessman Otedola to invest $100 million in Dangote refinery

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Corruption remains substantial barrier to trade, investment in Nigeria — US govt opens up

April 28, 2025
3

Cut governance cost by 60 %, not reducing travel entourage – Peter Obi tells Tinubu

January 11, 2024
4

Kwara residents flee to Niger after terrorist attack

February 8, 2026
5

NABTEB vows stronger exam system as 60% secure 5 credits

February 9, 2026
6

Epistles of Anthony Kila: For love of nation and of democracy – Being an imaginary withdrawal speech by Joe Biden

July 5, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: Mass casualty earthquake rocks Thailand •PHOTOS

March 28, 2025
3

Benue Police Command gets DSP Udeme Edet as new image maker

May 31, 2025
4

US air strikes: Military steps up watch on fleeing terrorists

December 30, 2025
5

Tinubu returns to Nigeria after 3 weeks abroad

January 18, 2026
6

9mobile subscribers groan over service downtime

March 21, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Benue Assembly suspends Dajoh days after resignation as Speaker

August 26, 2025

BREAKING: Court jails IPOB kingpin Simon Ekpa for terrorism offences

September 1, 2025

Emir dethrones village head for alleged kidnapping, rape

May 20, 2025

2027 Presidency: PDP invites former President Jonathan to run against Tinubu •APC reacts

December 14, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4549
  • Politics4094
  • Crime3898
  • International2744
  • Sports2266
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1254
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment739
  • Africa465
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact