Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Israel rejects Gaza plan in new break from Trump

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 10, 2026 573 Minutes read0

•Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu yesterday rejected a US-led Gaza plan endorsed by Hamas, putting distance between himself and President Donald Trump as he tries to shore up his base ahead of close elections.

After more than a week of gradually escalating criticism of the plan, and despite receiving assurances that Israel would not need to start withdrawing in Gaza immediately, Netanyahu explicitly opposed the deal following pushback from his right-wing allies, reports AFP.

“Israel rejects the 15-point document,” Netanyahu said, referring to the plan Hamas agreed to in late July.

The Israeli military “will not carry out any withdrawal until Hamas is genuinely disarmed, and will continue to thwart threats against our forces and our citizens”, he told a cabinet meeting.

Netanyahu described Trump, who had hailed the Gaza deal as a milestone for peace, as “our greatest friend in the White House” — but quickly made clear he was willing to challenge him, saying Israel was raising its objections with the United States.

“They have ideas; some of them are acceptable to us and some are not, and we know how to stand our ground on these matters,” he said.

Netanyahu, Israel’s longest-serving leader, is running even or trailing in some polls ahead of October 27 elections, the country’s first since the devastating October 7, 2023 attack by Hamas that sparked the Gaza war.

Polls show that the Gaza plan is unpopular with Netanyahu’s right-wing base, and far-right members of his cabinet have urged him to kill it.

Hamas, days after selecting a new leader, Khalil al-Hayya, announced it supported the Gaza plan, and has since called on Washington to push Netanyahu to accept it.

“We expect the mediators and the American guarantor to pressure Netanyahu and his government to adhere to the roadmap, and not obstruct the process for internal political and electoral reasons,” Bassem Naim, a member of Hamas’s political bureau, told our correspondent.

Hamas in a statement said it was still committed to the plan.

Friction With Trump

Netanyahu until recently campaigned on the strength of his relationship with Trump, who has taken unprecedented steps to back Israel, including moving the US embassy to Jerusalem.

Trump joined Netanyahu in late February in launching a war against Iran, but the two diverged when Trump sought a ceasefire and subsequent settlement to the conflict as it sapped his popularity and sent oil prices soaring.

Netanyahu told his cabinet that “with an agreement or without an agreement, as long as I am prime minister, Iran will not have nuclear weapons”, a goal he has long alleged Tehran is pursuing.

Netanyahu last week also ordered fresh strikes on Lebanon in response to what Israel called a ceasefire violation by Iran-backed Hezbollah, just as Israel and Lebanon were holding US-mediated talks.

The Gaza plan was the latest stage in a US-brokered ceasefire announced in October that has reduced, but not ended, Israeli operations there.

Hamas said it would surrender weapons to a nascent Palestinian governing body. The plan said Israel would begin pulling out forces in tandem with the disarmament, a timeline it adamantly rejected.

After meeting Netanyahu last week, Trump’s body implementing the deal, dubbed the Board of Peace, backtracked and said Israel would only need to withdraw after “complete” disarmament, but it was apparently not enough for Netanyahu.

“We are talking about real disarmament, not fictitious disarmament,” he said yesterday.

Israeli Offensive

Egypt, a key mediator, called on all sides to “honour their commitments” and refrain from action that could jeopardise progress, in a call between Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and the Board of Peace’s high representative for Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov.

Despite Netanyahu’s stance, Israel appears to have decreased operations in Gaza since the deal was announced, but hasn’t halted them completely.

Israeli gunfire yesterday injured a child who was taken to hospital in Khan Yunis, civil defence spokesman Mahmoud Bassal said

Israeli operations in Gaza have killed 1,258 Palestinians since the ceasefire, according to the territory’s health ministry, which operates under Hamas authority and whose figures are considered reliable by the United Nations.

The Israeli army has reported five deaths in its ranks during the same period.

Tags
Gaza planIsraelTrump
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade: Holiday eyecare for children
next post 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations: Nigeria bow out against Cameroon, miss automatic World Cup ticket
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

12 dead in UK, Irish wrong-lane motor accidents

August 23, 20260
International

US, Canada unable to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Headlines

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 20260
Health

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 20260
Sports

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 20260
News

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 20260
Politics

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 20260
Business & Economy

Tinubu’s N15.8 trillion reform gains yet to reach Nigerians — Analysts insist

August 23, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 2026

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 2026

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 2026

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 2026

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

I don tire, I dey go back to my village

October 18, 2025
3

Impeachment: How Shaibu leaked govt secrets – Assembly tells panel

April 4, 2024
4

Israeli strike kills 11 Palestinians, says Gaza civil defence

September 25, 2025
5

Constitution Review: National Assembly proposes 4-year tenure for LG officials, 25 year age limit

January 2, 2026
6

House of Reps releases CTC of 4 Tax Laws to public •Asks Nigerians to disregard other documents not certified by National Assembly

January 4, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Man rides bicycle from Yobe to Asaba to see Gov Oborevwori

December 13, 2023
3

FG approves deduction of tax at source — Presidential committee chairman Oyedele

July 2, 2024
4

Driver, passengers burnt to death in fatal motor accident

January 15, 2024
5

Fire razes popular hotel in Abuja

January 15, 2025
6

NAHCON inaugurates aviation monitoring committee for 2026 Hajj

October 20, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Increasing rate of poverty, hunger in Nigeria worrisome — CAN, JNI

March 7, 2024

Climbing a staircase is not exercise — Expert debunks common fitness myths

March 15, 2026

2027: APC, PDP, LP bigwigs currently in ADC coalition to sack Tinubu •FULL LIST

July 3, 2025

Namibia set to reduce fuel prices

July 2, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4929
  • Politics4593
  • Crime4411
  • International3044
  • Sports2462
  • Business & Economy2274
  • Headlines2224
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz991
  • Health879
  • Entertainment813
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment367
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact