Skip to content
Tuesday 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

JUST IN: Israel agrees to ceasefire with Hezbollah

The FrontierThe FrontierNovember 27, 2024 3473 Minutes read0

•Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would bring a US-brokered proposal for a ceasefire with Hezbollah in Lebanon to his government for approval as soon as yesterday evening.

In a televised address, Netanyahu said he would put “a ceasefire outline” to ministers “this evening”. He did not say how long the truce would last, noting “the length of the ceasefire depends on what happens in Lebanon”.

“If Hezbollah violates the agreement and attempts to rearm, we will strike,” he warned.

Key Israel backer the United States has led ceasefire efforts for Lebanon alongside France, reports AFP.

“In full coordination with the United States, we are maintaining full military freedom of action,” Netanyahu said, outlining the seven-front war Israel says it faces in Gaza, the occupied West Bank, Yemen, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Iran.

Even as Netanyahu spoke about the ceasefire, the Israeli military carried out multiple strikes on heart of Beirut while the army said some 15 projectiles had entered Israeli airspace from Lebanon.

Demonstrators raise placards and Israeli flags during a protest in front of the Israeli Defence Ministry in the coastal city Tel Aviv on November 26, 2024, against a possible ceasefire with Hezbollah in Lebanon.

The war in Lebanon escalated after nearly a year of limited cross-border exchanges of fire begun by Hezbollah, which said it was acting in support of Hamas after its October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which sparked the war in Gaza.

The war has killed at least 3,823 people in Lebanon since October 2023, according to the health ministry, most of them since September.

On the Israeli side, the hostilities have killed at least 82 soldiers and 47 civilians, authorities say.

Netanyahu said the ceasefire would allow Israel to focus on “the Iranian threat” and ramp up its fight against Hamas in Gaza.

“With Hezbollah out of the picture, Hamas is left on its own,” he said.

“We will increase our pressure on Hamas and that will help us in our sacred mission of releasing our hostages.”

During last year’s Hamas attack, militants took 251 hostages, of whom 97 are still held in Gaza, including 34 the army has declared dead.

– ‘Historic mistake’ –

Far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir, a member of Israel’s security cabinet, called the proposal “a historic mistake” and said he would oppose it.

“This is not a ceasefire. It’s a return to the concept of silence for silence, and we’ve already seen where it leads,” he wrote in a post on X. “This agreement does not meet the goal of the war — to return the residents of the north safely home.”

Israel has said more than 60,000 people have been forced from their homes in the north for more than a year by the threat of Hezbollah rocket fire.

“Under Netanyahu’s watch, the greatest disaster in our history occurred. No agreement with Hezbollah will erase the negligence,” opposition leader and former prime minister Yair Lapid said in a statement.

“We urgently need to make a hostage deal and bring home the citizens who were abandoned,” he said.

Speaking on Israel’s Channel 12, David Azoulay, mayor of Israel’s northernmost town, Metula, slammed Netanyahu for a deal that he said would not bring long-lasting peace to the region.

He said he refused to attend a meeting with the prime minister to discuss the ceasefire, saying, “I will not serve as a backdrop for decisions that have already been made by one person, I will not be an extra in Netanyahu’s playground.”

Channel 12 also published the results of a flash poll showing that based on their understanding of the ceasefire proposal, 37 percent of Israelis support the deal, 32 percent oppose it and 31 percent said they were unsure.

Tags
agreesceasefireHezbollahIsrael
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Highlights of Akwa Ibom Budget of Consolidation & Expansion
next post EFCC may take ex-Governor Bello to court in Abuja today
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

US to screen for Ebola at airports

May 19, 20260
International

Bodies of 4 missing Italian divers found in undersea cave

May 19, 20260
International

Russian drone hit Chinese cargo ship overnight in Black Sea

May 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

May 19, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Peter Obi emerges sole presidential aspirant of NDC

May 19, 20260
Business & Economy

Dangote refinery reduces jet fuel price

May 19, 20260
Headlines

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 20260
Africa

FG deploys troops to Benin Republic in regional anti-terror push

May 19, 20260
Politics

Killing of school teacher by terrorists reflection of worsening insecurity under Tinubu – PDP

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

May 19, 2026

BREAKING: Peter Obi emerges sole presidential aspirant of NDC

May 19, 2026

Dangote refinery reduces jet fuel price

May 19, 2026

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 2026

FG deploys troops to Benin Republic in regional anti-terror push

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

BREAKING: Cubana Chief Priest throws house party after getting N10m bail

April 18, 2024
3

BBNaija 10/10 eviction night: Bumper eviction loading?

September 7, 2025
4

Governor Soludo sacks information commissioner, nominates replacement

September 17, 2024
5

2027: Nigeria may have one presidential candidate — Falana, Gani Adams

April 2, 2026
6

Motorists pass night at CNG stations over inadequate dispensing points

March 18, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

INEC rejects Abure as Labour Party’s national chairman

September 18, 2024
3

BREAKING: A week after France trip, Tinubu jetting out to China

August 27, 2024
4

2024 UTME: JAMB accredits 747 CBT Centres as registration begins today

January 15, 2024
5

BREAKING: Cameroon Dam water released, relocate from floodplains now – FG alerts Nigerians

September 19, 2024
6

Ronaldo’s son trains with Real Madrid

March 25, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Naira, stocks drop after Trump’s military threat

November 4, 2025

Trade Fair Complex: Senator Umeh slams Lagos State govt demolition as illegal action

October 6, 2025

HAPPENING NOW: 12 political parties in Ondo jostle for chairmanship, councilor seats as elections hold across 18 LGAs

January 18, 2025

Emirates airline gets Travel Gold Award for connecting Africa to the world

November 27, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4076
  • Crime3890
  • International2737
  • Sports2258
  • Business & Economy2114
  • Headlines2074
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment734
  • Africa461
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact