Skip to content
Tuesday 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

US to screen for Ebola at airports

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 19, 2026 352 Minutes read0

•An American Airlines Boeing 737-823 passenger aircraft 

The United States said yesterday it is bolstering precautions to prevent the spread of Ebola, including screening air travelers from outbreak-hit areas and temporarily suspending visa services.

The measures shared by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) come as the World Health Organisation has declared the deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) an international health emergency, reports AFP.

In a briefing, Satish Pillai, the health agency’s Ebola response incident manager, told journalists one American in the DRC had contracted the virus following exposure related “to their work” there.

“The person developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday,” Pillai said, adding that efforts were underway to transport the individual to Germany for treatment.

The official added the United States was attempting to evacuate six additional people for health monitoring.

Pillai said there are about 25 people working in the US field office in the DRC, and that the CDC was fulfilling a request to send an additional senior technical coordinator.

“At this time, CDC assesses the immediate risk to the general US public as low, but we will continue to evaluate the evolving situation and may adjust public health measures as additional information becomes available,” the health agency said in a statement.

In addition to screening at airports, the CDC said it was implementing entry restrictions on non-US passport holders if they had traveled to Uganda, DRC or South Sudan within the past 21 days.

The US Embassy in Kampala, Uganda, said it had temporarily paused all visa services, and that impacted applicants had been notified.

Criticism Of US Response

There is no vaccine or specific treatment for the strain responsible for the current spread of the highly contagious hemorrhagic fever.

Ninety-one reported deaths are suspected to have been caused by the current surge in cases, according to the latest figures released on Sunday by Congolese Health Minister Samuel-Roger Kamba.

Around 350 suspected cases have been reported. Most of those affected are aged between 20 and 39 and more than 60 percent are women.

The United States under President Donald Trump formally withdrew from the World Health Organisation (WHO) this year.

In recent days, US officials have avoided questions about how the administration’s cutting of the US Agency for International Development (USAID) — key in responding to previous Ebola outbreaks — has impacted current efforts to monitor and manage the virus’s spread.

CDC officials have emphasised they are collaborating with international partners and health officials in impacted countries.

The public health measures announced yesterday will include continued “deployment of CDC personnel to support outbreak containment efforts in affected regions” as well as assistance with contact tracing and laboratory testing, the agency said.

And the US State Department said in a statement yesterday it had mobilized $13 million in aid for “immediate response efforts.”

But Matthew Kavanagh, director of the Georgetown University Center for Global Health Policy and Politics, said the US response thus far was “disappointing” and called travel bans “more theater than effective public health measures.”

“The administration claimed it could negotiate bilateral deals and replace the capacity of WHO with domestic efforts. This outbreak clearly shows that is a failed strategy,” he told our correspondent.

He said during previous Ebola outbreaks, coordinated efforts between USAID, the CDC and US-funded nonprofits led to rapid response and containment.

This time, “we’re weeks into an outbreak and only finding out about it after hundreds of cases and major spread including to the capital city of Uganda,” Kavanagh said, adding that the Trump administration was “playing catch-up.”

Tags
airportsEbolascreenUS
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Arsenal on brink of Premier League title after beating Burnley
next post Neymar included in Brazil’s 2026 World Cup squad •FULL LIST
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Finland plans stricter rules for international students

May 19, 20260
International

Global oil price jumps as Middle East tensions deepen

May 19, 20260
International

Trump holds off attack on Iran after intervention by Gulf leaders

May 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

May 19, 20260
Headlines

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 20260
Entertainment

Wizkid, Tems, Burna Boy, Asake nominated for 2026 BET Awards •FULL LIST

May 19, 20260
Politics

APC chieftain former Governor Goje cries foul after losing primary election

May 19, 20260
News

Ohagwu assumes office as 47th Ondo police commissioner

May 19, 20260
Politics

I thought Tinubu approved Lagos Speaker Obasa’s removal — Actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

May 19, 2026

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 2026

Wizkid, Tems, Burna Boy, Asake nominated for 2026 BET Awards •FULL LIST

May 19, 2026

APC chieftain former Governor Goje cries foul after losing primary election

May 19, 2026

Ohagwu assumes office as 47th Ondo police commissioner

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Saudi Arabia marching towards getting first Miss Universe contestant this year

April 26, 2024
3

Tinubu should declare state of emergency on Plateau killings – Cleric

April 20, 2025
4

PROFILE: Meet Princess Owowoh, Nigeria’s first female graduate of British military academy •PHOTOS

May 8, 2024
5

Banditry: Rights activist seeks probe of ex-Governor Matawalle

September 27, 2024
6

Tribal voting over competence will prolong pains – Peter Obi warns

June 16, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

My ordeal with DSS – NLC President Ajaero opens up

September 11, 2024
3

Senator Natasha mocks Akpabio with ‘Erection’ apology

April 28, 2025
4

OpenAI to introduce adverts to ChatGPT

January 17, 2026
5

Man City’s Ortega receives first Germany call-up for Nations League

November 7, 2024
6

Security operatives comb Anambra forest, recover 9 locally-made bombs

April 10, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

18 killed in road crash along Sagamu-Ikorodu road •PHOTOS

April 6, 2025

2 police inspectors, corporal dismissed for armed robbery

January 31, 2024

Edo guber election: PDP witnesses absent as tribunal resumes in Abuja

January 28, 2025

JUST IN: Panic as deputy governor, over 100 passengers narrowly escape aircraft fire disaster

December 5, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4546
  • Politics4082
  • Crime3895
  • International2740
  • Sports2260
  • Business & Economy2116
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment736
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact