Skip to content
Thursday 21 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Africa
Africa

15 migrants expelled from US arrive in DR Congo

The FrontierThe FrontierApril 18, 2026 793 Minutes read0

•Some deported migrants from US

Fifteen people have arrived in DR Congo after being expelled from the United States as part of an immigration crackdown, the UN confirmed yesterday, with a local source saying they were from Peru and Ecuador.

The arrivals in Kinshasa overnight Thursday to yesterday are the first under the deal to land in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the latest African nation to accept expelled migrants from the US, reports AFP.

Since President Donald Trump returned to the White House last year, his administration has negotiated several expulsion agreements despite fierce criticism from rights groups.

The countries accepting the deportees generally give little detail about their fate.

They are often not from those countries.

Washington has previously sent foreigners to Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Rwanda, South Sudan, Cameroon and Eswatini.

The DRC asked the International Organization for Migration (IOM) to help with the migrants, the UN agency said.

“IOM has been requested by the government of the DRC to provide humanitarian assistance to 15 migrants removed by the United States to the DRC on April 17,” an agency spokesman told our correspondent, without providing details on the migrants’ nationalities.

“In addition to offering assistance based on needs and specific assessments, IOM may also offer assisted voluntary return to those migrants who request it, in line with its mandate and applicable legal frameworks.”

Seven women and eight men arrived on a flight from the United States, which landed just before midnight at Ndjili airport in the capital, a source close to the Congolese presidency said.

They are originally from Peru and Ecuador, the source said.

Other migrants expelled by the United States are due to arrive soon in Kinshasa, in groups of around 50 a month, sources close to the matter said.

The total number expected to be taken in by the DRC is currently unknown.

The arrangement negotiated between Washington and several African countries aims to remove migrants from American soil quickly, before sending them back to their countries of origin, one of the sources said.

The accord with the DRC comes after an agreement paving the way for Washington to gain access to the country’s rich mineral resources, which are crucial for the electronics industry.

The US has in return mediated talks aimed at ending years of conflict in eastern DRC, although efforts have yet to stop the fighting on the ground.

Contacted by our correspondent, Congolese authorities have not so far confirmed the arrival of the first foreign migrants.

‘Opaque Deals’

In the DRC, the announcement of the immigration deal “came as a surprise” because it was handled with little transparency, said Albert Malukisa, research director at the Congolese Ebuteli think tank.

“What does the DRC gain financially in return? That’s not clear.”

But he said Kinshasa was positioning itself as a “model partner” to continue benefitting from US support.

In early April, the DRC’s communications ministry announced the launch of a “temporary reception system for third-country nationals covered by US migration arrangements”.

It said the Congolese treasury would bear no financial cost, as logistical and technical support would be provided by the US government.

Authorities also said preparations had been made for reception facilities and supervision. Several possible sites have been considered, according to a source close to the matter, but no details have been disclosed.

Yesterday, police officers were stationed outside one of the sites mentioned, a few kilometres from the Kinshasa airport, our correspondent reported.

Most residents of Kinshasa, a city of more than 17 million people, lack access to running water or electricity and nearly three-quarters of Congolese live below the poverty line, according to the World Bank.

Human Rights Watch said in September that US deportations carried out under such “opaque deals” violate international law and should be rejected.

 

Tags
DR CongomigrantsUS
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post No ban on airtime borrowing or data advance services — Commission clarifies
next post Alleged murder of pregnant woman: Transport workers union leader MC Oluomo fights back, petitions Police over viral video
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Africa

Xenophobic attacks in South Africa: Human rights lawyer Falana petitions African Commission, seeks compensation for victims

May 20, 20260
Africa

Refinery listing will democratise Africa’s industrial prosperity – Dangote

May 20, 20260
Africa

Africa Centre for Disease Control declares Ebola outbreak continental emergency as death toll hits 106

May 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

May 21, 20260
Crime

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 20260
News

INEC releases Supreme Court-ordered Warri delineation report

May 21, 20260
International

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 20260
Politics

Lagos APC primaries: Aspirants petition Tinubu over alleged irregularities, seek review

May 21, 20260
Politics

39 aspirants to contest ADC primary in Edo

May 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

May 21, 2026

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 2026

INEC releases Supreme Court-ordered Warri delineation report

May 21, 2026

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 2026

Lagos APC primaries: Aspirants petition Tinubu over alleged irregularities, seek review

May 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

PDP crisis: Former Senate President Saraki kicks against Ibadan convention

November 13, 2025
3

I endured Senate President Akpabio’s sexual advances for over a year – Suspended Senator Natasha alleges

March 21, 2025
4

Governor Makinde, South West PDP demand immediate removal of REC over integrity

October 16, 2024
5

Months after, whereabouts of 350 escapees from prisons unknown

October 17, 2024
6

Russian missile strike on Ukrainian city kills 34

April 14, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Frankfurt Airport opens again after climate activists

July 25, 2024
3

Presidency to Atiku, El-Rufai, Obi, others: We’ll meet in 2027

February 3, 2025
4

Tinubu to attend 44-yr-old Bassirou Faye’s inauguration as Senegalese president tomorrow

April 1, 2024
5

PSG coach Luis Enrique wants different goalkeeper aside Donnarumma

August 13, 2025
6

Tax reform bills ready for presidential assent as Reps adopt harmonised bills

May 28, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Niger Delta youths protest appointment of expatriate as procurement manager in Chevron

September 17, 2025

Man sentenced to life imprisonment for raping minor

October 10, 2025

Tinubu behaving like a lost sailor on high sea – Atiku

August 28, 2024

Nigeria on brink of tyranny – NLC raises alarm over shrinking democracy

July 21, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4550
  • Politics4098
  • Crime3900
  • International2746
  • Sports2267
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1254
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment739
  • Africa465
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact