Skip to content
Wednesday 20 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Hamas hands over 3 Israeli hostages in fifth Gaza exchange

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 8, 2025 1693 Minutes read0

•Palestinian Hamas fighters escort Israeli hostages (L-R) Ohad Ben Ami, Or Levy and Eli Sharabi on a stage before handing them over to a Red Cross team today 

Hamas militants handed over three Israeli hostages today as part of the fifth exchange under a fragile Gaza ceasefire, with 183 prisoners held by Israel due to be released later in the day.

The swap comes after US President Donald Trump proposed clearing out the Gaza Strip of its inhabitants and for the United States to take over the Palestinian territory — a plan that has sparked global uproar and been rejected by Hamas, reports AFP.

Jubilant crowds in Israel’s commercial hub Tel Aviv cheered as they watched live footage of the three hostages, flanked by masked gunmen, brought on stage in Deir el-Balah before being handed over to the International Committee of the Red Cross.

The stage was festooned with a banner bearing images of destroyed Israeli armoured vehicles and a dejected-looking Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s prime minister.

Dozens of armed Hamas fighters had formed a cordon around the open area where the release took place, apparently to control crowds of onlookers.

The three hostages were identified as Eli Sharabi, Or Levy and Ohad Ben Ami.

Sharabi, 52, was at his home in kibbutz Beeri with his British-born wife and their two daughters when militants stormed it.

The armed men shot their dog, before locking the family in their safe room and setting it on fire. The bodies of his wife and two daughters were later identified.

Levy was abducted from the Nova music festival, where gunmen murdered his wife. Ben Ami, who has dual Israeli-German citizenship, turned 56 in captivity.

‘Now is the time’

Former hostage Yarden Bibas, who was freed last week by Hamas militants in Gaza, on Friday urged Netanyahu to help bring back his wife and two children from the Palestinian territory.

“Prime Minister Netanyahu, I’m now addressing you with my own words… bring my family back, bring my friends back, bring everyone home,” Bibas said in his first public message following his release.

Hamas previously said his wife Shiri and his two sons Ariel and Kfir — the youngest hostages — were dead, but Israel has not confirmed their deaths.

Netanyahu, who is in Washington, will “monitor this phase of the hostages’ release from the control centre of the delegation in the US”, the premier’s office said in a separate statement.

The Hostage and Missing Families Forum urged the government yesterday to stick with the Gaza truce, even as Trump’s comments sparked backlash across the Middle East and beyond.

“An entire nation demands to see the hostages return home,” the Israeli campaign group said in a statement.

“Now is the time to ensure the agreement is completed — until the very last one,” it added.

Israel and Hamas have completed four swaps under the first stage of the ceasefire agreement.

Talks in Doha

Palestinian militants, led by Hamas, have so far freed 18 hostages in exchange for around 600 mostly Palestinian prisoners released from Israeli jails.

The ceasefire, mediated by Qatar, Egypt and the United States, aims to secure the release of 33 hostages during the first 42-day phase of the agreement.

Negotiations on the second stage of the ceasefire were set to begin on Monday, but there have been no details on the status of the talks.

Netanyahu’s office said that after Saturday’s swap, an Israeli delegation will head to Doha for further negotiations on the ceasefire.

The second phase aims to secure the release of more hostages and pave the way for a permanent end to the war, which began with Hamas’s October 7 attack.

During the attack, militants took 251 hostages to Gaza. Seventy-three remain in captivity, including 34 whom the Israeli military says are dead.

Israel’s retaliation has killed at least 47,583 people in Gaza, the majority civilians, according to the Hamas-run territory’s health ministry. The United Nations considers the figures reliable.

Tags
fifth Gaza exchangeHamasIsraeli hostages
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Another Nigerian dies in South African police custody
next post Rwandan, Congolese leaders meet over Eastern DRC conflict
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Finland plans stricter rules for international students

May 19, 20260
International

Global oil price jumps as Middle East tensions deepen

May 19, 20260
International

Trump holds off attack on Iran after intervention by Gulf leaders

May 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

May 20, 20260
News

7 feared killed as LG chairman survives road accident

May 20, 20260
Politics

APC primaries: Governorship aspirants shun consensus deal in 10 states •FULL LIST

May 20, 20260
Politics

APC primaries: More aspirants reject results, take complaints to Abuja

May 20, 20260
Health

RED ALERT: Aviation authority orders tighten health surveillance at Nigerian airports over Ebola outbreak

May 20, 20260
Politics

We must fight war against poverty to fulfill Chapter II of Constitution — Afenifere chieftain

May 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

May 20, 2026

7 feared killed as LG chairman survives road accident

May 20, 2026

APC primaries: Governorship aspirants shun consensus deal in 10 states •FULL LIST

May 20, 2026

APC primaries: More aspirants reject results, take complaints to Abuja

May 20, 2026

RED ALERT: Aviation authority orders tighten health surveillance at Nigerian airports over Ebola outbreak

May 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Suspended Rivers Governor Fubara denies Nwaeke’s allegations, asks Nigerians to disregard them

March 29, 2025
3

Natasha vs Akpabio: Revolution underway, it’s time for women and youths – Activist Abayomi Mighty blows hot

February 23, 2025
4

Power outage: Blackout hits Abuja •Estates, foreign embassies affected

March 24, 2025
5

We know the sponsors of #EndBadGovernance protest – PDP tells Tinubu

September 9, 2024
6

Ex-Madrid star, Varane retires from football at 31

September 25, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Governor Inuwa gives N14 million to families of 7 journalists killed in road crash

January 2, 2026
3

BREAKING: IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu bags life imprisonment

November 20, 2025
4

Trump blasts Biden as he campaigns on rare day out of court

May 2, 2024
5

A major victory for Nigeria against terrorism – FG welcomes Simon Ekpa’s conviction

September 1, 2025
6

EXPOSED: Some of our staff are informants to terrorists – University Vice Chancellor

July 10, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Kidnapped Anglican priest, wife, children regain freedom

December 29, 2024

West African Examinations Council goes digital in Nigeria, 3 other countries for certificate services

February 17, 2026

RED ALERT: FG warns 30 states, FCT of heavy rains, floods •FULL LIST

April 10, 2025

Barcelona strikers struggle for form as high-flying Villarreal visit •FULL FIXTURES

February 27, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4547
  • Politics4086
  • Crime3895
  • International2740
  • Sports2263
  • Business & Economy2116
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment737
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact