Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Hamas hands over 3 Israeli hostages in fifth Gaza exchange

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 8, 2025 2033 Minutes read0

•Palestinian Hamas fighters escort Israeli hostages (L-R) Ohad Ben Ami, Or Levy and Eli Sharabi on a stage before handing them over to a Red Cross team today 

Hamas militants handed over three Israeli hostages today as part of the fifth exchange under a fragile Gaza ceasefire, with 183 prisoners held by Israel due to be released later in the day.

The swap comes after US President Donald Trump proposed clearing out the Gaza Strip of its inhabitants and for the United States to take over the Palestinian territory — a plan that has sparked global uproar and been rejected by Hamas, reports AFP.

Jubilant crowds in Israel’s commercial hub Tel Aviv cheered as they watched live footage of the three hostages, flanked by masked gunmen, brought on stage in Deir el-Balah before being handed over to the International Committee of the Red Cross.

The stage was festooned with a banner bearing images of destroyed Israeli armoured vehicles and a dejected-looking Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s prime minister.

Dozens of armed Hamas fighters had formed a cordon around the open area where the release took place, apparently to control crowds of onlookers.

The three hostages were identified as Eli Sharabi, Or Levy and Ohad Ben Ami.

Sharabi, 52, was at his home in kibbutz Beeri with his British-born wife and their two daughters when militants stormed it.

The armed men shot their dog, before locking the family in their safe room and setting it on fire. The bodies of his wife and two daughters were later identified.

Levy was abducted from the Nova music festival, where gunmen murdered his wife. Ben Ami, who has dual Israeli-German citizenship, turned 56 in captivity.

‘Now is the time’

Former hostage Yarden Bibas, who was freed last week by Hamas militants in Gaza, on Friday urged Netanyahu to help bring back his wife and two children from the Palestinian territory.

“Prime Minister Netanyahu, I’m now addressing you with my own words… bring my family back, bring my friends back, bring everyone home,” Bibas said in his first public message following his release.

Hamas previously said his wife Shiri and his two sons Ariel and Kfir — the youngest hostages — were dead, but Israel has not confirmed their deaths.

Netanyahu, who is in Washington, will “monitor this phase of the hostages’ release from the control centre of the delegation in the US”, the premier’s office said in a separate statement.

The Hostage and Missing Families Forum urged the government yesterday to stick with the Gaza truce, even as Trump’s comments sparked backlash across the Middle East and beyond.

“An entire nation demands to see the hostages return home,” the Israeli campaign group said in a statement.

“Now is the time to ensure the agreement is completed — until the very last one,” it added.

Israel and Hamas have completed four swaps under the first stage of the ceasefire agreement.

Talks in Doha

Palestinian militants, led by Hamas, have so far freed 18 hostages in exchange for around 600 mostly Palestinian prisoners released from Israeli jails.

The ceasefire, mediated by Qatar, Egypt and the United States, aims to secure the release of 33 hostages during the first 42-day phase of the agreement.

Negotiations on the second stage of the ceasefire were set to begin on Monday, but there have been no details on the status of the talks.

Netanyahu’s office said that after Saturday’s swap, an Israeli delegation will head to Doha for further negotiations on the ceasefire.

The second phase aims to secure the release of more hostages and pave the way for a permanent end to the war, which began with Hamas’s October 7 attack.

During the attack, militants took 251 hostages to Gaza. Seventy-three remain in captivity, including 34 whom the Israeli military says are dead.

Israel’s retaliation has killed at least 47,583 people in Gaza, the majority civilians, according to the Hamas-run territory’s health ministry. The United Nations considers the figures reliable.

Tags
fifth Gaza exchangeHamasIsraeli hostages
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Another Nigerian dies in South African police custody
next post Rwandan, Congolese leaders meet over Eastern DRC conflict
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

US, Canada unable to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Environment

Ogoni youths demand 500 NNPC jobs as oil exploration resumption sparks divisions

August 22, 20260
Headlines

Meet head of Nigeria’s latest ‘fake’ govt agency, 20 state coordinators, diaspora reps •PHOTOS

August 22, 20260
Crime

Kidnapped Borno schoolchildren: Families cry out to Tinubu after 100 days in captivity

August 22, 20260
Politics

Peter Obi draws 2027 battleline, says Nigeria must work

August 22, 20260
Politics

Tinubu’s Campaign Council for 2027 elections •FULL LIST

August 22, 20260
Business & Economy

Petroleum marketers urge Dangote to deliver fuels directly to northern states for uniform prices

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Ogoni youths demand 500 NNPC jobs as oil exploration resumption sparks divisions

August 22, 2026

Meet head of Nigeria’s latest ‘fake’ govt agency, 20 state coordinators, diaspora reps •PHOTOS

August 22, 2026

Kidnapped Borno schoolchildren: Families cry out to Tinubu after 100 days in captivity

August 22, 2026

Peter Obi draws 2027 battleline, says Nigeria must work

August 22, 2026

Tinubu’s Campaign Council for 2027 elections •FULL LIST

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Ogoni youths demand 500 NNPC jobs as oil exploration resumption sparks divisions

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Nigeria in desperate need of restoration – Catholic bishops declare

February 7, 2024
3

Kano anti-corruption commission chairman suspended

April 4, 2024
4

Ebola outbreak now at its deadliest-ever, says DR Congo

August 17, 2026
5

Coronation of Eze Ndigbo in foreign lands embarrassing – Minister

April 9, 2026
6

Actress Toyin Abraham under fire for action against fans who cursed her for supporting Tinubu

July 10, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: Lagos govt shuts churches, others over noise pollution •PHOTOS

November 28, 2024
3

US airstrikes: Arrest Gumi for openly supporting terrorists — Igbo Youths in Diaspora tell FG

December 29, 2025
4

Real Madrid making progress on Alexander-Arnold transfer – Reports

March 25, 2025
5

Help, scrap metal scavengers have stolen our peace! •Residents lament criminal activities of waste collectors

October 19, 2024
6

Students, teachers lament nightfall WAEC exam

May 29, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JAPA: 6 tips for Nigerians to boost their chances of securing US visa

April 15, 2024

Governor Makinde to PDP: Don’t fear defections, hungry Nigerians will decide 2027 elections

May 22, 2025

Anxiety mounts over Olubadan-designate’s health

March 30, 2024

Residents shun Anambra LGA election as commercial drivers defy movement restriction

September 28, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4928
  • Politics4592
  • Crime4411
  • International3043
  • Sports2459
  • Business & Economy2273
  • Headlines2223
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health878
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment365
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact