Skip to content
Wednesday 20 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

US judge lifts freeze on Trump admin buyout plan

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 13, 2025 1673 Minutes read0

•US President Donald Trump

A US judge yesterday lifted his freeze on a buyout plan offered to federal workers, handing President Donald Trump a victory in his efforts to drastically slash the government workforce.

US District Judge George O’Toole, who had temporarily paused the plan last week, lifted his restraining order on the mass buyout offer, reports AFP.

Labour unions representing federal employees had filed suit to block the scheme masterminded by billionaire Elon Musk to slash the size of the US government by encouraging federal workers to quit.

In an email titled “Fork in the Road,” the more than two million US government employees were given an offer to leave with eight months’ pay or risk being fired in future culls.

The White House says more than 65,000 federal employees have signed on to the buyout offer from the Office of Personnel Management.

O’Toole, an appointee of president Bill Clinton, said the unions lacked the standing to bring the suit and his court did not have jurisdiction over the matter.

“The unions do not have the required direct stake in the Fork Directive, but are challenging a policy that affects others, specifically executive branch employees,” he said.

The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE), which represents 800,000 federal workers and was among the unions that brought the suit, called the ruling “a setback in the fight for dignity and fairness for public servants.”

“But it’s not the end of that fight,” AFGE national president Everett Kelley said in a statement. “Importantly, this decision did not address the underlying lawfulness of the program.

“We continue to maintain it is illegal to force American citizens who have dedicated their careers to public service to make a decision, in a few short days, without adequate information, about whether to uproot their families and leave their careers for what amounts to an unfunded IOU from Elon Musk,” Kelley said.

– ‘Abusing their power’ –

Musk, the world’s richest person and Trump’s biggest donor, is in charge of a free-ranging entity called the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) that aims to cut hundreds of billions of dollars in government spending.

His plans have effectively shuttered some federal agencies, sent thousands of staff members home and sparked legal battles across the country.

Trump’s executive actions have been challenged in dozens of court cases and the White House accused judges on Wednesday of “abusing their power” to block the president’s moves.

“The real constitutional crisis is taking place within our judicial branch, where district court judges in liberal districts across the country are abusing their power to unilaterally block President Trump’s basic executive authority,” White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said.

The decisions have come from judges nominated by both Republican and Democratic presidents, including Trump himself during his first term.

But Leavitt accused the judges of “acting as judicial activists rather than honest arbiters of the law.”

She had asserted that “77 million Americans voted to elect this president, and each injunction is an abuse of the rule of law and an attempt to thwart the will of the people.”

She later celebrated the lifted freeze, calling it “the first of many legal wins for the president.”

Attorney General Pam Bondi, at her first press conference yesterday, described Musk as a “great man” and said “we are going to back up Elon Musk every way we can.”

Asked whether the Trump administration would seek to impeach federal judges, Bondi said, “that’s not going to happen now.

“We’re going to look at everything,” she said.

“We’re going to follow the law right now. We’re going to follow the process.

“These are federal judges with lifetime appointments,” she noted, “but they will be struck down ultimately by the Supreme Court of the United States if the appellate courts don’t follow the law as well.”

Tags
buyout planlifts freezeTrump adminUS judge
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post APC hires private firm for membership e-registration
next post 2Baba proposes to Edo Lawmaker Natasha Osarawu •VIDEO
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Finland plans stricter rules for international students

May 19, 20260
International

Global oil price jumps as Middle East tensions deepen

May 19, 20260
International

Trump holds off attack on Iran after intervention by Gulf leaders

May 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

May 19, 20260
Headlines

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 20260
Entertainment

Wizkid, Tems, Burna Boy, Asake nominated for 2026 BET Awards •FULL LIST

May 19, 20260
Politics

APC chieftain former Governor Goje cries foul after losing primary election

May 19, 20260
News

Ohagwu assumes office as 47th Ondo police commissioner

May 19, 20260
Politics

I thought Tinubu approved Lagos Speaker Obasa’s removal — Actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

May 19, 2026

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 2026

Wizkid, Tems, Burna Boy, Asake nominated for 2026 BET Awards •FULL LIST

May 19, 2026

APC chieftain former Governor Goje cries foul after losing primary election

May 19, 2026

Ohagwu assumes office as 47th Ondo police commissioner

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Borno flood: Reps reject proposal to remove N300 billion from federation account

September 26, 2024
3

NDIC to depositors of failed banks: Come forward to claim liquidation dividends •FULL LIST OF FAILED BANKS

December 7, 2023
4

Operators blame forex crisis for high petrol price

December 11, 2024
5

Costly petrol, power outages recipe for business failure, poverty — Peter Obi

October 28, 2024
6

Peter Obi slams EFCC over raid on Uyo teaching hospital, decries teargas use

May 14, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Price of rice jumps by 98% in one year – NBS

February 28, 2024
3

Senate confirms Tinubu’s nominees for Regional Development Commissions •FULL LIST

June 26, 2025
4

Over 74 houses burnt, lives lost in 3-year Ijaw communal crisis in Edo

June 13, 2025
5

Super Eagles hit Polokwane camp ahead of crucial Lesotho World Cup encounter

October 7, 2025
6

Morocco jails French rapper Maes for kidnapping bid

November 26, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Zenith Bank awarded Best Bank for Digital Solutions in Nigeria at Euromoney 2023 Awards

December 28, 2023

Japa: Nigerian youths need capitals not ₦10,000 freebies – African Development Bank President Adesina

April 10, 2025

Police parade Yoruba nation agitators, promise to apprehend sponsors

April 15, 2024

Nigeria pleads with US to reconsider new visa rules

July 9, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4546
  • Politics4082
  • Crime3895
  • International2740
  • Sports2260
  • Business & Economy2116
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment736
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact