Skip to content
Friday 22 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

EU agrees to implement US trade pact after Trump threats

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 20, 2026 373 Minutes read0

•Flags of the European Union

EU lawmakers and member states reached a deal in the early hours of today to implement the bloc’s nearly year-old trade pact with the United States, with President Donald Trump threatening new tariffs unless it is done by July 4.

The 27-nation bloc struck an accord with Washington last July, setting levies on most European goods at 15 per cent, but to Trump’s frustration, it had yet to make good on its pledge to scrap levies on most US imports in return, reports AFP.

Negotiators from the EU’s parliament and capitals wrangled late into the night, finally emerging several hours after midnight with news of an agreement to move forward.

“This means we will soon deliver on our part,” EU chief Ursula von der Leyen said as she welcomed the agreement and called for the implementation process to be finalised quickly.

“Together, we can ensure stable, predictable, balanced, and mutually beneficial transatlantic trade,” von der Leyen said in a social media post.

The EU agreement puts the bloc on track to meet Trump’s deadline for ratification of the deal sealed in Turnberry, Scotland, between Trump and von der Leyen, and hopefully turn the page on more than a year of transatlantic trade battles.

Short of that, Trump had warned the European Union should expect “much higher” tariffs — and had already vowed to raise duties on European cars and trucks from 15 to 25 per cent.

The tariff blitz unleashed by Trump before the Turnberry accord, including hefty levies on steel, aluminium, and car parts, jolted the bloc into cultivating trade ties around the world.

But the EU cannot afford to neglect the 1.6-trillion-euro ($1.9-trillion) relationship with the US, its largest trade partner.

No More ‘Sunrise’

The EU parliament gave the deal a conditional green light in March, after months of delay caused by Trump’s designs on Greenland and a US Supreme Court ruling striking down many of the president’s tariffs.

Lawmakers were under pressure to renege on several amendments that the Americans considered unacceptable — including a suspension clause that would scrap favourable tariff conditions for US exporters should the US breach the deal.

The final text empowers the European Commission to trigger the suspension mechanism if the US fails to meet its commitments or disrupts trade and investment with the EU, including by “discriminating against or targeting EU economic operators”.

It also gives the EU means to address spikes in US imports “that cause or threaten to cause serious injury to domestic producers”, with suspension again a possible outcome.

But parliament also agreed to scale back some demands — and the final text notably gave the US until the end of the year to drop surtaxes above 15 per cent on steel components, rather than insisting on it as a precondition.

Another fight was over so-called “sunrise” and “sunset” clauses under which the EU side of the accord would kick in once the US makes good on its pledges, and would expire unless renewed in 2028.

The sunrise clause was removed altogether, while the sunset was pushed back to the end of 2029, according to a parliament statement.

The head of parliament’s trade committee, Bernd Lange, faced the challenge of hammering out a common stance between different factions, which haggled until the last moment.

Lange played down the concessions extracted from lawmakers, declaring after the deal was announced that “parliament has prevailed with its demands for a comprehensive safety net”.

But Anna Cavazzini of the EU’s Greens was less effusive, saying the “deal puts the EU at a disadvantage” while conceding “it can secure a certain degree of economic stability.”

“One can only hope that the agreement on the tariff deal will now calm the situation, so that other major issues in the EU-US relationship can be addressed,” she said.

Tags
EUTrump threatsUS trade pact
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post HAPPENING NOW: South Korean oil tanker passes through Strait of Hormuz
next post Refinery listing will democratise Africa’s industrial prosperity – Dangote
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
International

Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk’s X

May 21, 20260
International

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
News

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

May 22, 20260
Health

EBOLA: Airlines warned against transporting suspected cases

May 22, 20260
Politics

APC has lost its bearing, vision – Former Governor Fayemi

May 22, 20260
Education

Varsity scholarship beneficiaries cry out to FG over delayed allowances since 2024

May 22, 20260
Crime

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

May 22, 20260
Politics

Women, youths threaten to dump APC after Senator Shehu Buba’s withdrawal from Bauchi governorship primary

May 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

May 22, 2026

EBOLA: Airlines warned against transporting suspected cases

May 22, 2026

APC has lost its bearing, vision – Former Governor Fayemi

May 22, 2026

Varsity scholarship beneficiaries cry out to FG over delayed allowances since 2024

May 22, 2026

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

May 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

20 states with local government caretaker committees •FULL LIST

July 12, 2024
3

Police to wear black band for 7 days in honour of late Army chief Lagbaja

November 7, 2024
4

Senate to increase Customs revenue target

February 6, 2024
5

Governor Radda certified medically fit to resume duty after road accident

July 23, 2025
6

EFCC protest: NOA mobilises 4000 staff to track promoters of violence

July 4, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

France threatens to block funds for India over climate inaction

March 16, 2026
3

Outcry in Kenya over tax harassment of travellers

November 1, 2023
4

Abuja teachers begin indefinite strike over unmet demands

April 19, 2026
5

JUST IN: Protesters storm Abuja, urge Senate to reinstate Senator Ndume as Chief Whip

July 24, 2024
6

BREAKING: University of Ibadan sends students home over protests

August 31, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Olubadan elevates 5 chiefs in first official ceremony

November 7, 2025

Ex-NSCDC commandant jailed over job scam

May 9, 2024

Russia coach insists Super Eagles still strong without Osimhen, Lookman

June 6, 2025

Political parties announce date to hold nationwide rally supporting new tax regime

January 2, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4557
  • Politics4118
  • Crime3906
  • International2748
  • Sports2272
  • Business & Economy2121
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1262
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health803
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa468
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact