•Pilgrims
The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) has concluded the 2026 Hajj outbound airlift of Nigerian pilgrims to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
This comes ahead of the deadline for inbound Hajj flights into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia before commencement of the Hajj rites, reports Daily Trust.
In a statement today, the Commission said airlift operation, which commenced on May 3, 2026, officially came to an end with the final flight by Max Air conveying pilgrims from Zamfara State, which departed the Gusau International Airport.
A total of 98 outbound flights were operated within 18 days, averaging about five flights daily. Nigeria was allocated a total Hajj quota of 50,000 pilgrims for the 2026 exercise. This figure includes 9,750 slots allocated to Licensed Tour Operators, as well as operational support personnel and statutory officials.
As at the conclusion of the airlift, about 39,000 pilgrims from the government quota, excluding officials and government representatives, were successfully airlifted to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for the performance of Hajj.
However, some intending pilgrims could not travel due to unavoidable circumstances, including deaths and ill health after issuance of visas.
The Commission expresses gratitude to Almighty Allah for the orderly, peaceful and successful coordination among critical stakeholders throughout the airlift operation.
The Chairman/CEO of NAHCON, Ambassador Ismail Abba Yusuf, commended the cooperation and resilience demonstrated by NAHCON Board Members, staff, Nigerian pilgrims, State Pilgrims’ Welfare Boards, Licensed Tour Operators, official air carriers, security agencies, operational committees and other relevant stakeholders who contributed to the success recorded so far.
The Commission particularly appreciated the enormous support and diligent guidance of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, and the supervision of Vice President Kashim Shettima, GCON, in ensuring the safety and overall wellbeing of Nigerian pilgrims despite challenges occasioned by uncertainties in global socio-political trends.
Meanwhile, preparations are being concluded for the return flight operations scheduled to commence on 3rd June 2026.
The Commission said details regarding return schedules would be communicated appropriately in due course.


