Skip to content
Tuesday 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Headlines
Headlines

Activist Sowore vows to defy court order as Police warn against #FreeNnamdiKanu protest

The FrontierThe FrontierOctober 19, 2025 2482 Minutes read0

•Omoyele Sowore and Nnamdi Kanu

Human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, has vowed to proceed with the planned #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest despite a Federal High Court order restricting demonstrations around key government locations in Abuja.

The protest, scheduled for tomorrow, Monday, October 20, 2025, seeks the release of IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu, who has been in custody since his 2021 extradition from Kenya and faces terrorism charges, reports Channels TV.

In an X post, the African Action Congress (AAC) presidential candidate for the 2023 elections, stated that his legal team of 115 lawyers would challenge any alleged court order once served, maintaining that the protest would hold as planned and would remain peaceful, lawful, and orderly.

“Our legal team will challenge any alleged court order the moment we are served on Monday. But let it be known that nothing can stop this mass movement.

“October 20 #FreeNnamdiKanuNow remains sacrosanct. We march peacefully, lawfully, and powerfully,” he added.

The Nigeria Police Force had earlier warned all protest groups to comply with a subsisting court order restraining gatherings near sensitive areas, including Aso Rock Villa, the National Assembly, Force Headquarters, Eagle Square, and Shehu Shagari Way.

In a statement signed by the Force Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, the police said the directive followed an order by Justice M. Umar of the Federal High Court, Abuja, delivered on Friday in the case between the Federal Republic of Nigeria v. Omoyele Sowore and four others.

“The Order restrains the respondents and any other persons or groups acting under their instruction from staging protests within and around Aso Rock Villa and its environs,” the statement read.

Hundeyin noted that the police respected citizens’ rights to peaceful assembly but insisted such rights must be exercised “responsibly and within the limits of the law.”

He said the Force would ensure public peace and security, warning that offenders who flout the order or incite violence would face prosecution.

‘Double Standards’

Sowore accused the police of applying double standards in enforcing protest rights across the country.

“I’m glad to see that the Nigeria Police have finally shown some respect for the constitutional right to freedom of assembly,” he said.

He questioned why the same police force had not sought a similar court order against groups protesting against Nnamdi Kanu’s release for several days.

“Suppose a court order truly exists restricting protests around Aso Rock Villa. In that case, it begs the question: why hasn’t the same police force obtained a similar order against those protesting freely for three consecutive days, opposing Nnamdi Kanu’s release?” Sowore asked.

He described the situation as “glaring hypocrisy” and “undeniable double standards.”

Hundeyin stated that the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, has directed the FCT Commissioner of Police to ensure strict enforcement of the court order and maintain visible deployments across vulnerable areas in the capital.

The Force warned against attempts by protesters or counter-protesters to provoke confrontations or disrupt public order, stressing that punitive measures awaited offenders.

It assured residents of adequate security arrangements to protect lives and property during the period.

 

Tags
#FreeNnamdiKanu protestactivist Soworecourt orderpolice
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post BREAKING: Regina Daniels battling drug, alcohol abuse – Senator Ned Nwoko finally opens up on actress wife
next post EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade: Love your eyes everywhere
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Headlines

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 20260
Headlines

REVEALED: People told Tinubu I planned to kill him – Vice President Shettima opens up at last

May 19, 20260
Headlines

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

May 19, 20260
Headlines

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 20260
Entertainment

Wizkid, Tems, Burna Boy, Asake nominated for 2026 BET Awards •FULL LIST

May 19, 20260
Politics

APC chieftain former Governor Goje cries foul after losing primary election

May 19, 20260
News

Ohagwu assumes office as 47th Ondo police commissioner

May 19, 20260
Politics

I thought Tinubu approved Lagos Speaker Obasa’s removal — Actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

May 19, 2026

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 2026

Wizkid, Tems, Burna Boy, Asake nominated for 2026 BET Awards •FULL LIST

May 19, 2026

APC chieftain former Governor Goje cries foul after losing primary election

May 19, 2026

Ohagwu assumes office as 47th Ondo police commissioner

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: One killed as gunmen attack police team

May 7, 2026
3

Forgery as State Policy: Tinubu, his cabinet, DSS must be held accountable – Former Vice President Atiku

October 8, 2025
4

BREAKING: Musa in, Okoye out as CAF releases Eagles’ 41-man provisional list for AFCON •FULL LIST

December 20, 2023
5

PDP suspends Rivers chairman for supporting Wike

January 4, 2026
6

AFCON: Nigeria is proud of you – FG hails Super Eagles

February 12, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

6 dead in weather accidents as cold snap grips Europe

January 6, 2026
3

Insecurity, poverty worsening in North – Forum raises alarm

February 12, 2026
4

JUST IN: PDP clears 10 LG councils in Plateau election

October 10, 2024
5

Gowon, OBJ, Jonathan, Anyaoku, others gather for constitutional dialogue

March 16, 2024
6

NANS denies planning protest against petrol price hike

September 4, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Panic as gunmen hijack passenger-loaded bus in Imo

December 2, 2025

Building collapse: Reps panel kicks against circulation of substandard iron rods

July 31, 2024

Deaths, commotion as sacked LG chairmen resume duty in Osun

February 17, 2025

Imo police boss deploys officers for peaceful workers protest

February 27, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4546
  • Politics4082
  • Crime3895
  • International2740
  • Sports2260
  • Business & Economy2116
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment736
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact