Skip to content
Monday 18 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

BREAKING: Hamas releases 3 Israeli hostages in Gaza

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 15, 2025 2164 Minutes read0

•Islamic Jihad militants escort Israeli-Russian Sasha Trupanov before handing him over to a Red Cross team in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip today

Gaza militants handed three Israeli hostages over to the Red Cross today in an exchange that is also set to see the release of 369 Palestinians from Israeli custody, the latest such swap under an ongoing truce deal.

Our correspondent saw masked Hamas militants parade the hostages onto a stage in Gaza’s southern city of Khan Yunis, where they were told to address the crowd before their handover to the Red Cross, reports AFP.

Clutching gift bags given by their captors and a certificate to mark the end of their captivity, the three men, flanked by fighters, called for the completion of further hostage exchanges under the ceasefire deal.

The release, the sixth since the truce took effect on January 19, came after fears last week that the deal between Israel and Hamas was near collapse.

But yesterday both sides signalled that today’s swap would go ahead.

Dozens of Hamas fighters lined up around the stage bearing the logo of the group’s armed wing, the Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades, as Palestinian nationalist music played.

Sources from Hamas and Islamic Jihad said the groups had deployed about 200 militants for the handover ceremony.

A crowd also gathered in Tel Aviv’s “Hostages Square” to watch the exchange, with many carrying Israeli flags and posters in support of the captives.

The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had named the hostages as Israeli-American Sagui Dekel-Chen, Israeli-Russian Sasha Trupanov and Israeli-Argentinian Yair Horn.

They had been held by Gaza militants since Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack on Israel that sparked the war 16 months ago.

The Palestinian Prisoners’ Club advocacy group said Israel was to release 369 inmates in exchange, with 24 of them expected to be deported.

Almost all of the rest are “prisoners from the Gaza Strip who were arrested after October 7”, the group said.

After the deal had appeared to be on the brink of collapse, a Hamas official on Friday said the group expected talks on a second phase of the ceasefire to begin early next week.

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio, whose country is Israel’s top backer and one of the truce mediators, is due to arrive in Israel late Saturday ahead of expected talks with Netanyahu on the Gaza truce.

Last week’s release sparked anger in Israel and beyond after the freed hostages were paraded onstage, with their emaciated state sparking concern over conditions in captivity.

Israeli-American hostage Keith Siegel, released in a previous exchange, said he was “starved and… tortured, both physically and emotionally” during his captivity.

There were also fears for Palestinians in Israeli custody after some prisoners required medical treatment following their release in the last swap.

– Riyadh summit –

The ceasefire has been under massive strain since US President Donald Trump proposed a takeover of the Gaza Strip under which the territory’s population of more than two million people would be moved to Egypt or Jordan.

For Palestinians, any forced displacement evokes memories of the “Nakba”, or catastrophe — the mass displacement of their ancestors during Israel’s creation in 1948.

The stage set up for the release today bore an illustrated poster appearing to depict the final moments of Hamas’s leader Yahya Sinwar, who was killed by Israeli forces in October. It showed the Al-Aqsa Mosque visible through a hole in the wall of a destroyed building along with the slogan: “No displacement except to Jerusalem”.

Arab countries have come together to reject Trump’s plan, and Saudi Arabia will host the leaders of Egypt, Jordan, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates on Thursday for a summit on the issue.

After the Riyadh summit, the Arab League will convene in Cairo on February 27 to discuss the same issue.

A joint statement from the heads of Christian churches in Jerusalem today also spoke out against any forced displacement, saying Gazans “who have lived for generations in the land of their ancestors, must not be forced into exile, stripped of… their right to remain in the land that forms the essence of their identity”.

Trump had warned this week that “hell” would break loose if Hamas failed to release “all” remaining hostages by noon today.

Israel later insisted Hamas release “three living hostages” on Saturday or “the ceasefire will end”.

– Second phase –

Under the terms of the 42-day first phase of the ceasefire agreement brokered by Qatar, Egypt and the United States, negotiations for a second phase were due to start on February 3.

Netanyahu had sent negotiators to Doha days later, but the delegation was not mandated to discuss phase two, which is meant to lay out steps towards ending the war.

Hamas official Taher al-Nunu told our correspondent yesterday that “we expect the second phase of the ceasefire negotiations to begin early next week”.

Another source familiar with the talks told our correspondent that “mediators informed Hamas that they hope to start the second phase of negotiations next week in Doha”.

The October 7, 2023 attack on Israel resulted in the deaths of 1,211 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally of Israeli official figures.

Militants also took 251 hostages, of whom 73 remain in Gaza, including 35 the Israeli military says are dead.

Israel’s retaliatory campaign has killed at least 48,239 people in Gaza, the majority of them civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory that the United Nations considers reliable.

 

Tags
GazaHamasIsraeli hostagesreleases
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Many feared dead as truck crashes into Anambra building
next post Tennis world number one, Jannik Sinner, accepts 3-month doping ban
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Military confirms killing of senior ISIS commander al-Minuki in Nigeria-US joint operation

May 16, 20260
International

Russia’s President Putin set to visit China days after Trump trip

May 16, 20260
International

Israel, Lebanon extend ceasefire despite fresh strikes

May 16, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

2027: Powerful forces behind Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Makinde •Amaechi, Adebayo too

May 17, 20260
Crime

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors

May 17, 20260
Headlines

INSECURITY: Mothers cry as terrorists kidnap over 45 schoolchildren

May 17, 20260
Politics

APC primaries: Former Governor Osoba’s son picks 4th term ticket in Ogun

May 17, 20260
News

Human rights lawyer Falana urges Tinubu to rely on Defence HQ for security intelligence

May 17, 20260
Politics

Aggrieved aspirants kick as allegations of violence, self-declaration of victory mar Ekiti APC primaries

May 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2027: Powerful forces behind Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Makinde •Amaechi, Adebayo too

May 17, 2026

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors

May 17, 2026

INSECURITY: Mothers cry as terrorists kidnap over 45 schoolchildren

May 17, 2026

APC primaries: Former Governor Osoba’s son picks 4th term ticket in Ogun

May 17, 2026

Human rights lawyer Falana urges Tinubu to rely on Defence HQ for security intelligence

May 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2027: Powerful forces behind Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Makinde •Amaechi, Adebayo too

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Setting the record straight on defamation case involving Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, By Jackson Udom

December 6, 2025
3

Jay Jay Okocha endorses Messi as greatest footballer of all time

September 17, 2024
4

Nigerian teenagers trafficked to Ghana for jobs end up as prostitutes, gangsters

October 12, 2024
5

Lagos Assembly debunks alleged defection of 27 lawmakers to Labour Party

February 19, 2025
6

Key Middle East energy sites under fire •FULL LIST

March 19, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Kano SSG suspension exposes Ex-Governor Kwankwaso’s political desperation – APC chieftain

October 17, 2024
3

Catholic Bishop to Tinubu: Rescue kidnapped seminarians

August 15, 2025
4

Norway arrests teen suspected of plotting IS-inspired attack

February 28, 2026
5

APC stalwart dumps party over lack of justice, rule of law

April 17, 2025
6

Sexy Nollywood actress Destiny Etiko’s killer curves spark online frenzy •PHOTO SPLASH

July 12, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Maulud: Tension as security forces disrupt Shi’ite gathering in Abuja

February 20, 2025

Israel to attend Gaza ceasefire talks — Netanyahu

July 27, 2024

When I saw the body of my missing nephew, his head, hands, legs, others had been removed – Uncle of murdered 27-year-old boy narrates

June 13, 2025

10 countries offering free PhD programmes to international students •FULL LIST

October 7, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4544
  • Politics4060
  • Crime3882
  • International2734
  • Sports2252
  • Business & Economy2112
  • Headlines2068
  • Education1252
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health798
  • Entertainment733
  • Africa459
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech219
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade116
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact