Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Environment
Environment

Building collapse: How landlord lost his wife, child, 3 grandchildren

The FrontierThe FrontierNovember 21, 2024 2626 Minutes read0

•Collapsed building

October 31, 2024, will linger in the memories of the families of victims of the collapsed building at Jegede Oluloyo area of Ibadan in Ona Ara Local Government Area where no fewer than 13 people answered the untimely call of death and seven others sustained serious injuries.

The dreams of a better and promising future, which the deceased had, were all shattered into fragments when the weak structure suddenly caved in, reports Vanguard.

The building, which collapsed around 2:00 am, housed mentally challenged individuals who were being attended to by a kind-hearted man.

It was gathered that it almost wiped out the whole family as the landlord lost his wife, one child and three grandchildren.

Distress calls at dawn

Speaking on how he received a distress call from the neighbourhood at 2:00 am, the General Manager of Oyo State Fire Services, Yemi Akinyinka, said: “When we arrived, we found that 10 people had died instantly.

Three victims had already been recovered before we arrived, and our team recovered four more. Three days after the incident, three more casualties were recorded raising the death toll from 10 to 13.

Victims recount ordeal

Among the victims was the landlord of the collapsed building, Alhaji Dauda Lamidi, who said he just returned from the restroom when the unexpected happened.

Lamidi said: “Though, I built the house about 40 years ago, I never expected it would collapse suddenly like that. As I told the people earlier, I was just coming back from the toilet when the building came crashing down. I have lost so much. I plead with the Oyo State Government to help me mitigate the losses.”

As for Funmilayo Oyedele, who lost a seven-year-old child, she said the unfortunate incident took everything she had in life. Weeping profusely, she recalled that she was preparing for her son’s school when she heard a deafening noise.

A man, Mr Bukayo Aderele, who claimed to be a relative of a family of three, who died in the incident, said only a teenager was left behind as the mother, father and a girl were buried under the rubble.

Wearing a forlorn look and his two hands folded on his chest, the middle-aged motor mechanic was too shocked.

He tried to mutter some words saying: “I live far away; it was when I received a call from a friend that I learned of the incident.

“I am a distant relative of Daddy Segun. When I met him that day, I never knew that was the last time I would see him alive. What will be the fate of the only son they left behind?”

Mrs Tawakalitu Lamidi, who said she was the daughter of the landlord, cried for help from the state government.

She said: “We even need their help because there is no place for us to stay. We don’t have any house to live in again.

“Some people died, while some are in the hospital. What God did, it’s only Him that understands. We are begging our government to have mercy on us and the people in the hospital too, on how to pay their hospital bills and when they come back they have no place to stay.”

A neighbour in the community, Mr Daud Olayiwola said the landlord accommodates mentally challenged people in the house and treats them until they are okay.

Olayiwola said: “Baba Ire (landlord) is a kind-hearted person who has been using the building for traditional care of mentally unstable patients and others. Even when you don’t have anything, Baba Ire would take care of them. It will be hard before you can see someone displaying this kind of attribute.

“Whenever they bring sick people to him, Baba Ire will take care of them and heal them.”

Oyo police, NEMA confirm casualties

Commenting on the incident, the Oyo State Police Command Headquarters in Eleyele and the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, confirmed the casualty figure.

The Commissioner of Police, CP Sonubi Ayodele, in a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Adewale Osifeso, disclosed that 10 persons have lost their lives, while eight other victims are currently receiving treatment following various degrees of injuries sustained.

He said: “On Thursday, 31/10/2024 around 0200hrs, a storey building located around Ojugbede Jegede Area, Ogbere collapsed leading to the immediate loss of 10 lives while 8 others are currently battling with various degrees of life-threatening injuries.

“Adequate security has currently been emplaced in the area to prevent hoodlums from taking over the incident scene and as well protect the lives and property of other residents within the jurisdiction.”

We rescued 5 people from the rubble —NEMA

Also speaking on the incident, the South-West Zonal Coordinator of NEMA, Mr Kadiri Olanrewaju stated that the agency was able to rescue at least five people from the rubble.

Olanrewaju said: “With the combined effort of response by stakeholders, five persons were rescued alive, which include one adult male, two adult females and two children.

“These victims were carried to Mercyland Clinic and Maternity Centre for immediate medical care.

Unfortunately, 10 persons lost their lives in the incident. One adult victim has been discharged from the hospital, while one victim was unconscious and has been transferred to Adeoyo General Hospital at Yemetu, Ibadan.”

Olubadan seeks relief materials to victims

On his part, the Olubadan of Ibadan land, Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, urged the Oyo State Government to investigate the building collapse.

Oba Olakulehin, in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Olugbemiga Ayoade, commiserated with the families of the victims.

The monarch said: “The Olubadan of Ibadan land, Oba Owolabi Olakulehin is using this medium to sympathise with the victims and families of those who were involved in the building collapse incident in Ibadan.

“Based on the available reports, 10 people have reportedly lost their lives in the incident. Several others were injured as a result of the unfortunate incident that occurred at the Jegede area of Ibadan in Ona Ara Local Government Area.

“This is an unfortunate incident that should be investigated properly. It is a sad occurrence that should be stopped in Ibadan land. The relevant agencies involved in building construction and town planning should carry out their responsibilities to prevent future occurrences.”

Oba Olakulehin called on the State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, to provide necessary relief materials to the victims and their families.”

The Olubadan also tasked regulatory agencies and professionals involved in building, construction and planning to investigate the matter and put more efforts in place to prevent future occurrences.

“I am appealing to the experts in building construction and planning to ensure that relevant materials are used and all protocols are followed before, during and after construction of buildings in Ibadan land to prevent this kind of incident.”

Power Minister condoles with victims’ families

The Minister of Power, Chief Adebayo Adelabu expressed concern over the incident saying: ”This devastating incident is a sobering reminder of the importance of ensuring the safety and integrity of our infrastructure. As a nation, we must come together to prevent such tragedies from occurring in the future.

“We must also invest in regular inspections and maintenance to prevent such disasters, advising the state government to investigate the cause of the collapse and design measures to prevent similar incidents in the future.

“To prevent occurrences like this, integrity tests need to be conducted on most structures in densely populated areas like Abebi, Oniyanrin, Omitowoju, and other places where structures were erected more than 40 years ago.”

When our correspondent moved around, most buildings were already showing signs of weakness and something urgent needed to be done to avert situations like this.

Tags
building collapsechildgrandchildrenlandlordlostwife
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post REVEALED: Terrorists using girls as suicide bombers, sex slaves – Counter Terrorism Centre
next post 33,955 applicants jostle for 2,208 Cross River civil service jobs
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Environment

Flooded Abuja mansions raise questions over green areas

August 18, 20260
Environment

Residents stranded, vehicles submerged as floods hit Abuja

August 17, 20260
Environment

Roads turned dumpsites: Why Lagos is still losing the battle against roadside waste

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

2027: Senator Okorocha sues INEC over Governor Uzodimma’s Imo West senatorial bid

August 20, 20260
Crime

JUST IN: Maternity Home sealed, three arrested over alleged ₦13.5 million newborn baby sale

August 20, 20260
International

10 ways to qualify for British citizenship in the UK — Official

August 20, 20260
Sports

Why Man City lost to Arsenal in Community Shield — Maresca

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: How Tinubu, Atiku, Obi spent elections campaign Day One

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: I will bring back fuel subsidy if elected president — Former Vice President Atiku promises Nigerians

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2027: Senator Okorocha sues INEC over Governor Uzodimma’s Imo West senatorial bid

August 20, 2026

JUST IN: Maternity Home sealed, three arrested over alleged ₦13.5 million newborn baby sale

August 20, 2026

10 ways to qualify for British citizenship in the UK — Official

August 20, 2026

Why Man City lost to Arsenal in Community Shield — Maresca

August 20, 2026

2027: How Tinubu, Atiku, Obi spent elections campaign Day One

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2027: Senator Okorocha sues INEC over Governor Uzodimma’s Imo West senatorial bid

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Crack in Nigeria Governors Forum as director makes damning revelations on financial records

December 25, 2023
3

Alleged bribery: Court rejects APC national chairman Ganduje’s bid to stop trial

May 13, 2025
4

Church must seek forgiveness for child sexual abuse – Pope

September 27, 2024
5

American deportee nabbed over visa scam

March 6, 2024
6

Bank customers petition CBN over excess charges

June 20, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: Former Governor Sylva not involved in any coup — Aide

October 29, 2025
3

Kenya set to roll out HIV prevention shots

February 18, 2026
4

JUST IN: Idahosa emerges Edo APC governorship candidate

February 17, 2024
5

2027 presidential ticket: Court adjourns Accord Party suit as INEC joins dispute

July 15, 2026
6

2027: Bode George, other Lagos PDP elders hold reconciliation meeting

May 1, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Air Chief expresses concern over encroachment of Airforce land in Kano

May 3, 2024

PDP withdraws from Ondo LG poll 48 hours to election

January 16, 2025

Senate, House agreement raises student loan to N10b

November 9, 2023

Seizure of presidential jets – FG reacts

August 15, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4917
  • Politics4573
  • Crime4409
  • International3035
  • Sports2454
  • Business & Economy2269
  • Headlines2218
  • Education1367
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact