Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Politics
Politics

Damagum’s tenure, national secretary’s position threaten PDP NEC, convention

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 13, 2025 3038 Minutes read0

•Ag. national chairman, Amb Umar Damagum

Governors elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), former governors, and members of the National Working Committee (NWC) ended a crucial meeting on Sunday night without resolving key internal disputes threatening the party’s unity ahead of its upcoming National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting and national convention.

Sources told our correspondent that contentious issues included the continued tenure of Ambassador Umar Damagum as acting national chairman, the leadership tussle over the national secretary position between Samuel Anyanwu and Sunday Ude-Okoye, and the recent spate of defections plaguing the opposition party, reports Daily Trust.

Party insiders revealed that the governors want these matters resolved before the NEC meeting scheduled for May 27 and the national convention in August, to ensure a stable leadership transition.

However, despite the consensus among most governors to replace Anyanwu—who contested and lost the 2023 Imo State governorship election—with a nominee from the South-East, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, is reportedly insisting that Anyanwu be allowed to complete his tenure.

A source said, “The governors wanted the meeting to ratify the decisions they made in Oyo State, similar to what the NWC did. But Wike’s loyalists disagreed. He insists that both Damagum and Anyanwu should be allowed to complete their tenures. He arrived last at the meeting and was the first to leave—clearly unhappy with the proposals.”

The source added that, in the interest of party unity, governors may be compelled to concede on Anyanwu’s issue. “Everyone is hoping that Saraki and his committee can resolve the grey areas.”

 

Origin of crisis

The current impasse traces back to March 2023, after the PDP’s loss in the presidential election. The NWC appointed Damagum as acting chairman following a Benue State High Court order dated March 27, 2023, restraining Dr Iyorchia Ayu from parading himself as chairman.

Ayu had earlier been suspended by his ward in Benue State for alleged anti-party activities. His removal intensified intra-party calls for restructuring, particularly from Wike and his G5 faction, who argued that with Atiku Abubakar as the presidential candidate from the North, the party chairmanship should rotate to the South.

Senator Anyanwu, the substantive national secretary, stepped aside to contest the Imo governorship election on the PDP platform in November 2023 but lost to APC incumbent Hope Uzodimma.

Before the election, the South-East zonal leadership of the party nominated Ude-Okoye as his replacement.

However, Anyanwu returned after the election and insisted on reclaiming his position, sparking a legal battle.

In October 2023, a High Court in Enugu ordered the PDP to replace Anyanwu with Ude-Okoye. Although the Supreme Court has since ruled on the matter, both camps interpret the judgement in their favour, leaving the issue unresolved.

 

Saraki-led committee to mend rifts

Unable to break the deadlock, the meeting resolved to establish a seven-member reconciliation committee headed by former Senate President Bukola Saraki. The committee is tasked with unifying aggrieved members ahead of the NEC and national convention.

The decision was disclosed by the chairman of the PDP Governors’ Forum and Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, after the closed-door meeting.

Governor Mohammed told journalists: “We discussed existential issues affecting our party, as reported in the media, and agreed to chart a clear path forward ahead of the May 27 NEC and the August convention. We set up a committee headed by former Senate President Saraki to ensure reconciliation for a rancour-free convention.”

Saraki, in a Facebook post, named the committee members as Governors Dauda Lawal (Zamfara), Caleb Mutfwang (Plateau), and Peter Mbah (Enugu), along with Senator Seriake Dickson, Senator Ibrahim Dankwambo, and former Abia State Governor Okezie Ikpeazu.

“We had a fruitful deliberation,” Saraki wrote. “As part of the decisions taken, the committee has been charged with preparing for a harmonious NEC meeting and convention.”

 

G5’s return a positive signal – Olafeso

Amid the turmoil, PDP’s Board of Trustees (BoT), chaired by Senator Adolphus Wabara, sought to downplay the wave of defections.

Speaking during the inauguration of 33 new BoT members yesterday, Wabara said, “The God of PDP never sleeps and will never sleep. PDP shall rise again.”

He described the defections as a phase that would soon pass, adding that the new board members symbolise a “new beginning and reaffirmation of our commitment to the values of our party”.

On his part, former PDP South-West vice chairman, Dr Eddy Olafeso, now a BoT member, said the return of some G5 members to the BoT is a sign that the party is rebounding.

Among those inaugurated were former governors Samuel Ortom (Benue) and Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu).

But Engineer Conrad Terhide Utaan, a national chairmanship aspirant from Benue State, said PDP governors must be more courageous in handling the Damagum and Anyanwu disputes if the party is to survive.

He warned that the Atiku and Wike factions must be reconciled or risk further disintegration: “If the Atiku bloc exits, there will be nothing left. The Wike bloc is already embedded in the APC.”

Mallam Umar Sani, a PDP chieftain and former spokesperson to ex-Vice President Namadi Sambo, said many PDP governors are uneasy with Atiku Abubakar’s expected presidential ambition.

He said Atiku’s perceived dominance in past primaries—defeating many governors in Port Harcourt in 2018 and again in Abuja in 2022—is fuelling concerns.

On his part, Dr Sam Amadi, director of the Abuja School of Social and Political Thought, said the PDP cannot function effectively as an opposition party while key figures like Wike openly support the ruling APC.

“To be a credible opposition, the PDP must expel members working for President Tinubu’s re-election,” Amadi said.

He urged governors to take control and initiate a thorough house-cleaning. “You can’t have a leading opposition figure actively campaigning for the incumbent president. It makes the PDP look like a joke,” he added.

 

Wike talks tough on Anyanwu, zoning of presidency

But the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, who is a central figure in the party’s power struggle, has doubled down on his support for Samuel Anyanwu, insisting that the embattled secretary remains the legitimate occupant of the office based on the recent Supreme Court ruling.

Speaking during a television interview yesterday, Wike warned that any attempt to sideline Anyanwu could trigger legal consequences that would destabilise the PDP. He also threatened to sue the party if anyone other than Anyanwu signs official correspondence, including the notice for the NEC meeting and convention, to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

“The Supreme Court has given judgement setting aside the Court of Appeal decision. That means Anyanwu remains the national secretary,” Wike said. “If another person signs INEC documents, I will go to court. You will put PDP in a serious quagmire.”

Wike argued that the party risks legal challenges over the validity of its NEC meeting if convened without Anyanwu issuing the formal notice.

“Who issues the notice for NEC? If it’s not Anyanwu, we will challenge it. The party’s constitution says that only the national chairman and secretary can sign correspondence to INEC. If someone else signs it, that process will be nullified in court,” he warned.

The minister accused some party leaders of selfishly misinterpreting the Supreme Court ruling to serve personal interests and urged stakeholders to prioritise stability.

“Why take such a risk when Anyanwu’s tenure ends in December?” he asked. “Some of the people pushing for his removal are afraid about who will sign NEC notices or submit INEC lists.”

Wike reiterated his belief that justice and fairness are essential to PDP’s survival. “If this matter is not handled properly, it will bring PDP to an end,” he said.

Speaking on the party’s zoning arrangements, Wike challenged the PDP to openly declare which region would produce the presidential candidate in 2027, warning that any attempt to zone it to the North again would be unacceptable.

“They can’t zone the presidency to the North—no,” he said. “I told them, their selfishness can kill a system.”

Referring to the Sunday night meeting with PDP governors and stakeholders, the FCT Minister said, “Many discussions were held. We’re waiting to see whether what was agreed upon will be implemented. If it is not, I won’t accept it. Justice must be done. I am a member of the party, but I must speak out—this injustice will not stand.”

“It’s in our constitution; it’s our tradition—when one zone takes the national chairmanship, another zone takes the presidential ticket. But because of selfish interests, they manipulated the process. They said, ‘Don’t worry; we’ll do zoning later.’ Before we knew it, some people had already purchased nomination forms. We laughed. We knew they didn’t want zoning.”

He recounted how the north ended up producing both the national chairman and the presidential candidate in 2023, contrary to the party’s tradition.

Wike said he had confronted party leaders about the 2027 ticket: “I asked them, where are you zoning your presidential candidate in 2027? Some of the smart ones, who have personal interests, said, ‘It’s not time yet.’ I told them, ‘You see? How many times do you think you can play this game and get away with it?’”

He also accused party leaders of planning to repeat the same tactics at the forthcoming convention. “You want the South to produce the national chairman again so that the North can still take the presidential ticket? Why not come out and clearly say the presidential candidate will also come from the South? But you don’t want that. You want to play the same game you played in 2023 — and when it backfired, you blamed others.”

 

Tags
conventionDamagumNational SecretaryPDP NEC
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post 2025 hajj: 388 pilgrims depart Lagos for Saudi Arabia
next post Teaching hospital vows to investigate woman’s death
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Politics

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 20260
Politics

Peter Obi draws 2027 battleline, says Nigeria must work

August 22, 20260
Politics

Tinubu’s Campaign Council for 2027 elections •FULL LIST

August 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Headlines

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 20260
Health

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 20260
Sports

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 20260
News

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 20260
Politics

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 20260
Business & Economy

Tinubu’s N15.8 trillion reform gains yet to reach Nigerians — Analysts insist

August 23, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 2026

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 2026

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 2026

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 2026

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Kidnappers abduct RCCG Elder, demand N50million ransom

January 9, 2024
3

No agreement signed with ASUU, only proposals — FG

August 28, 2025
4

Senators divided over funding for regional development commissions

October 24, 2024
5

Reps pass bill to establish national women, children hospitals in Imo

July 18, 2024
6

FG to launch new national ID with payment, social service delivery capabilities

April 6, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

He was abducted, not extradited — US-based cleric demands Nnamdi Kanu’s release

November 4, 2025
3

Abuja court gives Tinubu clearance to implement new tax regime tomorrow

December 31, 2025
4

Kano lawmaker Jibrin accepts expulsion from NNPP, accuses party of unfairness

September 7, 2025
5

Ogun releases first batch of non-statutory board appointments •FULL LIST

August 15, 2024
6

Tinubu to name new envoys after France, South Africa trips

November 28, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Fulani herdsmen invade Abuja estate, kidnap 10

January 8, 2024

Emzor calls for investment, stronger maternal health rights in Nigeria

April 11, 2026

Nigeria won’t tolerate disrespect – Defence chief blows hot over visa denial

February 19, 2025

Leave Kemi Badenoch alone, focus on bigger problems – Former presidential spokesman Laolu Akande tells Nigerians

November 18, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4929
  • Politics4593
  • Crime4411
  • International3044
  • Sports2462
  • Business & Economy2274
  • Headlines2224
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz991
  • Health879
  • Entertainment813
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment367
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact