Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Special
Special

Deaths in the land: Bayelsa, Benue, Katsina, others mourn as attacks, auto crash, boat mishap claim 64 lives

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 10, 2024 3716 Minutes read0

•Exploded boat

Sixty-four Nigerians have been confirmed dead in multiple tragedies across the country over the last 72 hours, the latest being 30 people killed in a supremacy battle between militias in Benue State on Thursday.

Rescue operations at the scene of a boat mishap in Bayelsa State have led to the recovery of 18 bodies while five others drowned in a similar accident in Jigawa State.

A third sea tragedy claimed the life of a naval officer who was at the head of a team to rescue 59 people whose dredging vessel was about to go under a turbulent Okpobo river in Bonny, Rivers State, reports The Nation.

The Benue attack occurred at Ayati village in Ukum Local Government area on Thursday.

Information, Culture and Tourism Commissioner Matthew Aboh told journalists in Makurdi yesterday that the killings stemmed from a supremacy fight between the local militias in the area.

He added that corpses of the victims were still being recovered from the bush.

The commissioner said a total of 30 bodies were recovered after the attack, adding that more bodies were still being recovered in the bushes.

He blamed the killings on the battle for supremacy between the local militias within the area.

“I was informed yesterday night through the telephone that bandits were attacking and killing people at Ayati village.

“Today I confirmed that the number of persons killed as I talk to you was 30 .They are still recovering corpses in the bushes so the number is yet to be ascertained.

“In Ayati village what I heard is that one of the bandits’ maternal village is Ayati and the other one’s maternal village is Tine-nune, Mbatyem.

“All of them are tough and fighting themselves. So anytime any one goes to the maternal village of the other and kills people the other will retaliate. So it is reprisal upon reprisal attacks,” he said.

An eyewitness Unande Iorpuu told our correspondent that about 60 gunmen stormed Ayati at about 4 pm on the fateful day.

He said:”They came on motorcycles from Sai Road and immediately opened fire on residents.

“The gunmen moved from one house to another, shooting and killing. Some peoples died at the spot , while others died on their way to the hospital in Zaki Baim.

Many others were wounded.

He said the gunmen fled the scene once they accomplished their mission.

This is the second attack on Ayati village within one month.

Eight persons were killed in the first attack last month.

Gov. Hyacinth Alia expressed sadness over the attack and wondered why such incidents despite a strong security presence.

Alia called on security agencies to improve their surveillance and ensure that vulnerable communities were not left unguarded.

The governor condoled with the families that lost their loved ones in the unfortunate attack and prayed God to comfort them.

He assured the people that his administration would continue to explore both discreet and open measures with a view to ensuring that Sankera retraces her path of peace and lives happily again.

18 dead bodies recovered, two missing, 33 passengers rescued

Rescue workers and volunteers have recovered 18 bodies of victims of Wednesday’s boat mishap on Ezetu l community river in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of Bayelsa State.

The State Chairman, Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria (MWUN), Mr. Ipigansi Ogonibatold The Nation yesterday that his union in collaboration with the state government sent three boats to convey the recovered corpses to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Yenagoa, the state capital.

Ogoniba said the ill-fated commercial boat carried 51 passengers and an unknown number of crew members since their names were not in the manifest at their disposal.

Thirty-three passengers were rescued.

The engine of the wooden boat, popularly known as ‘Denghe market boat’, exploded in the middle of the river on Wednesday evening and sank immediately.

The boat was said to have left Ezetu 1 community around 3pm for Okubie when the onboard engine they were using caught fire and exploded.

Meanwhile, Governor Douye Diri has expressed sadness over the boat accident.

Governor Diri, in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Daniel Alabrah, expressed the condolences of the state government to families of victims of the mishap.

The National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) has deployed a team to probe the cause of the mishap. in Bayelsa State.

Managing Director of NIWA, Bola Oyebamiji, while condoling with the families affected by the tragedy, assured the public of timely updates as the investigation progressed.

The Authority in a statement yesterday by its AGM Corporate Affairs, Suleiman Makama, expressed solidarity with the Government of Bayelsa State and the bereaved families, offering prayers for the souls of the departed.

Five dead, 15 missing in Jigawa canoe mishap

A similar canoe mishap in Jigawa State claimed five lives, according to the Police Command in the state.

Fifteen other passengers were missing, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, Lawan Shiisu said.

Mr Shiisu stated that the incident occurred at Nahuce in Taura Local Government Area (LGA) of the state on Thursday.

Navy rescues 59 drowning in turbulent waters civilians, loses officer

Swift intervention by the Nigerian Navy (NN) however saved 59 civilians from a drowning dredging vessel, MV AMBIKA 4, on a turbulent Okpobo river in Bonny, Rivers State.

However, the leader of the operation and Base Operations Officer (BOO) Nigerian Navy Forward Operating Base BONNY, Lieutenant Commander Gideon Yashim Gwaza, lost his life during the operation that lasted 10 hours.

It was gathered that the dredging vessel which was contracted to Sterling Global Oil Limited at Okpobo field was at the risk of sinking near the river entrance when a distress call was made to the Nigerian Navy around midnight of July 29.

The base subsequently deployed a rescue team comprising 10 armed personnel in two Interceptor Boats.

It was gathered that the rescued party could not approach the distressed boat owing to the turbulent wave and requested another squadron of three boats for reinforcement.

To ensure quick evaluation of all the people onboard the vessel, the navy also deployed NNS GONGOLA while drones, helicopters including one from the Nigerian Air Force were utilized for search and rescue.

While all 59 crew of the dredger were successfully rescued, the leader of the operation slipped and fell into the dangerous river.

The Director of Naval Information (DINFO), Commodore Aiwiyor Adams-Aliu, said yesterday that while all 59 crew were rescued successfully Lieutenant Commander Gideon Yashim Gwaza “paid the supreme price.”

“He fell overboard accidentally during the rescue operation which lasted for about 10 hours from midnight of 29 July 2024 to 1000 hours on 30 July 2024.

“The Nigerian Navy deeply mourns the loss of Lieutenant Commander Gideon Yashim Gwaza. who bravely risked his life to save others.

“Lieutenant Commander Gwaza was a well trained combat diver whose painful death reflects the risks and sacrifices of Nigerian Navy personnel towards the safety of Nigeria’s maritime domain. “His dedication and sacrifice will forever be remembered.”

11 dead, 4 injured as car collides with truck in Kaduna

A crash involving a truck and a Golf salon at Gwargwaje community of Zaria Local Government Area of Kaduna State early yesterday claimed 11 lives while four others were injured, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) said.

“Preliminary investigation revealed that the golf, carrying 11 people, all males, had engaged on a route violation, with no headlights and collided with an oncoming MAN truck with four people on board,” Kaduna Sector Commander, FRSC, Kabir Nadabo, said.

Nadabo said the accident occurred at 05:50 a.m.

Tags
BayelsaBenueDeaths in the landKatsinamourn
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Yemisi Ogunleye wins Olympic gold for Germany in women’s shot put
next post We did not receive 29 million barrels crude oil supply — Dangote refinery counters regulatory commission
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Special

Nigeria’s Military new salary scale: N187,200 to N3.25 million

August 10, 20260
Special

Bida-Lapai: The 70km road where motorists spend days •Drivers count losses

August 8, 20260
Special

The Legend is 78, By Anietie Usen

August 6, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
International

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 20260
Politics

Edo Assembly: Why we removed Agbebaku – New Speaker

August 17, 20260
Crime

Man allegedly kills 60-year-old mother with cutlass

August 17, 20260
News

Niger Delta stakeholders renew calls for restructuring, resource control •Demand 70% oil revenue

August 17, 20260
Crime

Lawyers task FG on detained, missing persons in Igboland

August 17, 20260
Crime

27-year-old man charged for allegedly stealing 27 women’s underwear

August 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 2026

Edo Assembly: Why we removed Agbebaku – New Speaker

August 17, 2026

Man allegedly kills 60-year-old mother with cutlass

August 17, 2026

Niger Delta stakeholders renew calls for restructuring, resource control •Demand 70% oil revenue

August 17, 2026

Lawyers task FG on detained, missing persons in Igboland

August 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Nigerian military is political in fight against terrorism — Security analyst

December 29, 2025
3

PDP threatens to expel Wike over anti-party activities

March 18, 2025
4

La Liga: Barcelona continue stellar form with 5-1 bashing of Sevilla

October 21, 2024
5

I won’t go broke even if I stop making music, says Afrobeats singer, Spyro

November 15, 2025
6

Cost of obtaining cash remains high despite CBN’s enforcement measures

February 17, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

APC primary: Confusion looms as accreditation begins in Ondo

April 20, 2024
3

Tinubu distracted by politics amidst worsening insecurity – ADC

April 10, 2026
4

TikToker convicted for insulting Ugandan President

November 14, 2024
5

HAPPENING NOW: FG, Dangote Refinery, marketers, in talks over petrol price reduction

July 6, 2026
6

Military evacuates 34 corpses from scene of attack in Yobe

September 3, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2024 budget a display of Tinubu govt’s disdain for Nigerians – LP

January 1, 2024

Group threatens to leak audio evidence in court against NUPENG General Secretary

March 22, 2024

US mulls new restrictions on Chinese drones

January 2, 2025

Organised Labour kicks as FG backdates minimum wage implementation

September 21, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4549
  • Crime4400
  • International3027
  • Sports2442
  • Business & Economy2263
  • Headlines2214
  • Education1357
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health870
  • Entertainment805
  • Africa568
  • Religion483
  • Environment363
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact