Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Drones hit US embassy in Saudi Arabia as Iran targets Middle East cities •Trump vows full retaliation

The FrontierThe FrontierMarch 3, 2026 1384 Minutes read0

•US embassy headquarters in Riyadh

Drones hit the US embassy in Riyadh today as Iran hit back at industrial and diplomatic targets across the Middle East and Washington warned its citizens to evacuate the entire region.

Four days after US and Israeli strikes killed Iran’s supreme leader and triggered a regional war, our correspondents in the Saudi capital saw smoke damage on the walls and roof of the embassy, reports AFP.

Saudi police were swarming over the diplomatic quarter and checking IDs of everyone who entered. Several roads were blocked, including approaches to the US embassy.

Powerful explosions also shook Tehran through the night, as fighter jets flew over the Iranian capital and US President Donald Trump threatened to escalate the conflict.

Yesterday, the US State Department had urged “Americans to DEPART NOW” from all of the countries and territories of the Middle East “due to serious safety risks”.

Israel, meanwhile, said it was seizing new forward positions inside southern Lebanon, after Hezbollah fired missiles in support of its backer Iran and provoked a furious Israeli bombardment.

Defence Minister Israel Katz said Israeli forces had been authorised “to advance and take control of additional strategic positions in Lebanon in order to prevent attacks on Israeli border communities”.

Burn any ship

Following Israel’s “escalation”, according to a Lebanese military source, the Lebanese army redeployed troops in the south. Hezbollah claimed it had launched strikes targeting three Israeli bases.

In Gulf cities and the Omani port of Duqm, Iranian strikes continued to hit oil and gas infrastructure and as European markets opened the benchmark Brent crude price jumped again.

“We will burn any ship that tries to pass through the Strait of Hormuz,” Revolutionary Guards General Sardar Jabbari declared, underlining the threat the war poses to the global economy.

In Washington, Trump warned that the strikes could continue for weeks or months.

“From the beginning we projected four to five weeks, but we have capability to go far longer than that,” Trump said at the White House.

In an earlier interview with the New York Post, Trump — who campaigned on promises to end US involvement in wars — refused to rule out deploying US ground troops to Iran “if they were necessary”.

And, speaking to NewsNation, Trump warned Iran would “find out soon” how he planned to retaliate for the Riyadh embassy attack.

The US president laid out for the first time the operation’s objectives — destroying Iran’s missiles, navy and nuclear programme and stopping its support for armed groups across the region.

Trump’s goals notably did not include toppling the Islamic republic, even though he and Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have urged the people of Iran to rise up.

Saudi Arabia, home to one of the region’s largest oil refineries, some which have already been closed following attacks, said it intercepted eight more drones in two cities, including the capital, today.

Two, however, got through air defences and struck the US embassy, causing a fire.

In Fujairah, one of the United Arab Emirates, debris from downed drones caused a fire at an oil facility, the state’s media office said. The blaze was brought under control and operations resumed.

‘Imminent threat?’

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio presented a strikingly new narrative of how the conflict started.

Washington’s top diplomat said the United States, which had built up its forces in the Gulf to levels not seen since its 2003 Iraq invasion, attacked only after learning that ally Israel was to strike Iran.

Iran had been ready to strike US forces in the region in response to Israel, so Trump decided to intervene “pre-emptively” alongside Israel, Rubio said.

“The imminent threat was that we knew that if Iran was attacked — and we believed they would be attacked — that they would immediately come after us,” Rubio told reporters before briefing lawmakers.

Rival Democrats voiced disbelief, with Senator Mark Warner saying it was “uncharted territory” for the United States to be triggered into action by Israel’s perception of a threat.

Iran’s foreign minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi responded that “there was never any so-called Iranian ‘threat’.”

“Mr. Rubio admitted what we all knew: US has entered a war of choice on behalf of Israel’,” he posted on X.

In an earlier interview with the New York Post, Trump — who campaigned on promises to end US involvement in wars — refused to rule out deploying US ground troops to Iran “if they were necessary”.

Death toll rises

Throughout the region, the death toll has steadily increased with six US military personnel killed so far in the war, according to US Central Command.

Iranian media have reported hundreds of Iranian casualties, including scores at a girl’s school, although our correspondents have not been able to verify tolls independently.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) today said there were 101 casualties inside Iran on the third day of the war, including “85 civilian deaths and 11 military personnel killed”.

Many residents in Tehran were torn between fear of the bombings and hope that the government’s days might now be numbered.

Our correspondents witnessed some residents with suitcases in hand preparing to leave.

“Every time we hear the noises, we get scared for just a second,” a 45-year-old lawyer said in a voice message to Europe, “but we experience some joy and excitement every time we hear a hit.”

Tags
dronesIranMiddle East citiesSaudi ArabiaTrumpUS Embassy
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post JUST IN: 2 dead as helicopter crashes in residential area
next post Governor Fintiri insists defection to APC won’t spoil relationship with former Vice President Atiku
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 20260
International

Hotel fire outbreak, temple stampede kill 15 Hindu worshippers in India

August 17, 20260
International

Strait of Hormuz: We’ll bomb the shit out of Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal — Trump threatens

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

Osun election: Civil Society Organisations demand thorough investigation of Senator Fadahunsi

August 18, 20260
Education

WAEC under fire over 2026 results, alleged grading anomalies

August 18, 20260
Health

JUST IN: Apollo cases confirmed in hospital, residents raise alarm

August 18, 20260
Environment

Flooded Abuja mansions raise questions over green areas

August 18, 20260
Business & Economy

Concerns as cost-of-living pressure lingers despite easing inflation

August 18, 20260
Education

ASUU strike threat: Why Nigerian universities keep returning to same crisis

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Osun election: Civil Society Organisations demand thorough investigation of Senator Fadahunsi

August 18, 2026

WAEC under fire over 2026 results, alleged grading anomalies

August 18, 2026

JUST IN: Apollo cases confirmed in hospital, residents raise alarm

August 18, 2026

Flooded Abuja mansions raise questions over green areas

August 18, 2026

Concerns as cost-of-living pressure lingers despite easing inflation

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Osun election: Civil Society Organisations demand thorough investigation of Senator Fadahunsi

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

I want to make Nigerians happy – Goalkeeper Nwabali says as Super Eagles land into AFCON final •I no go gree for anybody

February 8, 2024
3

FG announces vacancy for political, humanitarian affairs expert in Afghanistan

July 22, 2025
4

Electoral Act: Hide-and-seek game in Abuja as Reps avoid joint meeting

February 17, 2026
5

#AnambraDecide2025: Voting yet to start in Nnewi LG community, voters stranded

November 8, 2025
6

FG begins new expatriate job policy, violators risk N3million fine

March 4, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Villarreal beat Barca to secure Champions League place

May 19, 2025
3

Only consequential presidents get shot at – Donald Trump boasts

September 18, 2024
4

Military’s approach to insecurity not working – Kebbi governor

November 25, 2025
5

How gunmen kidnap 3 from Innoson showroom in Anambra

November 28, 2024
6

Abuja Electric releases names, other details of customers to get refund, compensation •FULL LIST

June 3, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

EXPOSED: Inside Lagos Task Force extortion ring

March 28, 2026

Man machetes brother to death over sexual demand

January 2, 2024

Group slams FG over approval of telecom tariffs hike

January 11, 2025

Money laundering: Former Governor El-Rufai’s Chief of Staff denied bail, sent back to prison

January 16, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4553
  • Crime4400
  • International3027
  • Sports2444
  • Business & Economy2264
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1361
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health871
  • Entertainment805
  • Africa569
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact