Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide — WHO

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 20, 2026 1092 Minutes read0

The World Health Organisation today said the risk of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s deadly Ebola outbreak was currently high at the national and regional levels but low worldwide.

WHO experts said that while investigations into its origins were ongoing, given the scale of the situation in the eastern DRC, the outbreak probably began a couple of months ago.

But the UN health agency’s emergency committee said it did not currently meet the pandemic emergency threshold, reports AFP.

“WHO assesses the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels, and low at the global level,” said the organisation’s chief, Tedros Ghebreyesus.

So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in the DRC, in the eastern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, “although we know the scale of the epidemic in DRC is much larger”, he told a press conference at the WHO’s headquarters in Geneva.

He said Uganda had also reported two confirmed cases in the capital Kampala, including one death, while a US national working in the DRC has been confirmed positive and transferred to Germany.

“There are several factors that warrant serious concern about the potential for further spread and further deaths,” said Tedros.

“Beyond the confirmed cases, there are almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths.

“We expect those numbers to keep increasing, given the amount of time the virus was circulating before the outbreak was detected.”

Not a pandemic

On Sunday, Tedros declared the situation to be a public health emergency of international concern — the second-highest level of alarm under the legally binding International Health Regulations (IHR) — triggering emergency responses in countries worldwide.

The WHO emergency committee convened to assess the outbreak met on Tuesday.

“The current situation and criteria for a public health emergency of international concern have been met, and we agree that the current situation does not satisfy the criteria for a pandemic emergency,” the committee’s chair, Lucille Blumberg, told reporters from South Africa.

Anais Legand, WHO technical officer on viral haemorrhagic fevers, said investigations were under way to pinpoint how long Ebola has been spreading in the eastern DRC.

“Given the scale, we are thinking that it has started probably a couple of months ago, but investigations are ongoing and our priority is really to cut the transmission chain by implementing contact tracing, isolating and caring for all suspect and confirmed cases,” she said.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio yesterday said the WHO was ” a little late” in identifying a deadly outbreak.

President Donald Trump, in one of his first acts on returning to office last year, set in motion a US withdrawal from the WHO, which he attacked bitterly over its response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Asked about Rubio’s criticism, Tedros said that “maybe what the secretary said… could be from lack of understanding of how IHR work, and the responsibilities of WHO and other entities”, he said, explaining that the agency acted in support of countries rather than replacing them in outbreak responses.

 

Tags
Ebolahigh regionallylow worldwidewho
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post TRAGEDY: Police officer due for retirement killed in rival thugs clash
next post APC primary election fall-out: Tinubu doesn’t trust me – City Boys coordinator Cubana Chief Priest laments
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

France fines UK fashion site Boohoo over fake discounts

August 20, 20260
International

10 ways to qualify for British citizenship in the UK — Official

August 20, 20260
International

Russian strikes hit hospital, kill 12, injure 33 in Ukraine’s capital Kyiv

August 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 20260
Education

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 20260
Politics

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 20260
Politics

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027 elections: Peter Obi dominates South East, South South as Tinubu leads South West, North — Research

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 2026

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 2026

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 2026

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 2026

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

PSG knock Liverpool out of Champions League after penalties

March 12, 2025
3

Transfer deadline day: All major deals announced by Premier League clubs

August 31, 2024
4

We are losing ground to Boko Haram – Governor Zulum opens up on terrorist attacks on Borno

April 8, 2025
5

Anambra election: SERAP gives INEC 7 days to report vote-buying sponsors to EFCC, Police

November 10, 2025
6

Former presidential aspirant dumps APC, cites failed governance

January 14, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Africa Cup of Nations: Super Eagles’ victory will inspire other Nigerians, says Senate President Akpabio

January 18, 2026
3

Spain surge past Austria to reach World Cup last 16

July 3, 2026
4

Only 1.16% of underage UTME candidates show exceptional ability — JAMB

May 5, 2025
5

Senate never proposed new aircraft for Tinubu, Shettima – Akpabio

June 25, 2024
6

Former Vice President Atiku demands immediate release of detained critic, accuses Tinubu govt of repressing dissent

January 12, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Nigeria’s inflation rises to 28.92 per cent, highest in 21 years – NBS

January 15, 2024

How I was mocked, betrayed over 16 years of childlessness – Lagos-based married woman

December 6, 2025

EXPOSED: Northern groups uncover plot to stop Tinubu in 2027

April 28, 2024

Customs, soldiers brutalise residents over video recording

December 3, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4919
  • Politics4578
  • Crime4409
  • International3036
  • Sports2455
  • Business & Economy2271
  • Headlines2219
  • Education1368
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health876
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact