Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Advert
Advert

Embattled police officer Abba Kyari, brothers fail in bid to stop trial •You have a case to answer – Judge

The FrontierThe FrontierOctober 28, 2025 1693 Minutes read0

•Suspended cop Abba Kyari (R) and NDLEA operative

Suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP)Abba Kyari and his two brothers today failed in their bid to terminate their ongoing trial for alleged failure to fully disclose their assets.

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), in the 23-count charge, alleged that Abba Kyari, Mohammed Kyari and Ali Kyari failed to make full disclosure of their assets, reports The Nation.

In a ruling today, Justice James Omotosho rejected the no-case submissions the defendants made after the prosecution closed its case.

Justice Omotosho held, among others, that the prosecution has established a prima facie case against the defendants to warrant their being called upon to enter a defence.

The judge said: “In view of all the exhibits and the evidence of the prosecution, the defendants need to give some explanations in this regard.

“The evidence of the prosecution has founded sufficient ground for proceeding with this trial.

“A connection of the defendants with the offences, no matter how slight, constitutes prima facie evidence and as such, the defendants would be required to enter their defence to the charge or offer a rebuttal of some sort.

“I must say here that holding that a prima facie case has been established does not necessarily imply that the court finds the defendants guilty of the charge.

“It is simply to allow the defendants exhaust their options for their defence and to clear every unresolved issue which may weigh on the mind of the court in reaching a final decision.

“The defendants are still presumed innocent until proven guilty and the prosecution still has the duty to prove the charge beyond reasonable doubt,” Justice Omotosho said.

The judge held that at this stage of the case, the court would refrain from evaluating the evidence but, limit itself to stating that on the whole, a prima facie case had been made out against the defendants.

He added: “I have carefully gone through the evidence presented to the court by the prosecution with respect to this charge.

“The evidence all point to the establishment of a prima facie case against the defendants.

“The evidence is such that the defendants must proffer some explanation or defence to the allegation made against them, especially considering the seriousness of the offences as their liberty is at stake.

“The right of a defendant to defend himself/herself is a fundamental right provided under Section 36 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended).

“Such rights cannot be taken from a defendant except where a defendant expressly or by conduct waives same.

“These defendants, having not waived their right to defend themselves either expressly or by conduct they are hereby called upon to put in their defence to the charge against them.

“In the final analysis, the no-case submissions filed by the defendants cannot be upheld in the face of the evidence led by the prosecution.

“Consequently, the no-case submissions are hereby overruled.

“Accordingly, the defendants are hereby ordered to put in their defence,” he said and ordered them to do so within three days.

He then adjourned till November 4 for the defendants to open their defence.

Beside accusing the defendants of failing to fully disclose their assets, the NDLEA, in the charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/408/2022, also accused them of “disguising of ownership of properties and conversion of monies.”

According to the NDLEA, the offences are punishable under Section 35 (3) (a) of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency Act, and Section 15 (3) (a) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011.

In conduct its case, the prosecution called 10 witnesses to prove their case and tendered about 20 exhibits.

Rather than open their defence immediately, the defendants chose to make no-case submissions after the prosecution closed its case.

 

Tags
brothersEmbattled police officer Abba Kyarijudgestop trial
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post FG processes 170 foreign applications for citizenship
next post Police to deploy 45,000 officers for Anambra governorship election
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Advert

test page

August 11, 20260
Advert

Governor Dapo Abiodun orders probe into Ajuwon building collapse

July 28, 20260
Advert

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: Gambian President Barrow, Governor Eno honoured in Banjul

July 24, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Headlines

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 20260
Health

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 20260
Sports

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 20260
News

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 20260
Politics

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 20260
Business & Economy

Tinubu’s N15.8 trillion reform gains yet to reach Nigerians — Analysts insist

August 23, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 2026

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 2026

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 2026

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 2026

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Electoral Act: Reps approve 10-year jail term, N75 million fine for forgery of election documents

December 19, 2025
3

Rivers begins preparation for Local Govt election after Wike men’s exit

June 20, 2024
4

HORROR: 31 corpses found as funeral director faces jail

July 27, 2026
5

Tinubu’s Benue visit: Presidency not tailor shop – Former presidential campaign spokesman fires back at Peter Obi

June 20, 2025
6

Petrol in Nigeria climbs 55%, kerosene up 37%, diesel soars 86% in one year

June 30, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Nigeria needs prayers now more than ever before – Reps Speaker Abbas

March 11, 2024
3

Supreme Court lottery verdict will deepen federalism – Nigeria’s legal icons

November 26, 2024
4

10 largest Air Forces in the world by fleet size

March 11, 2026
5

UK High Court rules Shell liable for legacy oil spills in Nigeria

June 20, 2025
6

Banks raise withdrawal limit to N50,000

December 4, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: Real Madrid appoint coach Mourinho on 3-year contract

May 29, 2026

Doctors tried to resuscitate her – FCT Police boss speaks on Arise TV anchor’s death

October 1, 2025

Bandits kill senior police officer, set two patrol vehicles on fire

August 4, 2026

Tinubu insists state police, LG autonomy must work, seeks governors’ support

December 19, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4929
  • Politics4593
  • Crime4411
  • International3044
  • Sports2462
  • Business & Economy2274
  • Headlines2224
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz991
  • Health879
  • Entertainment813
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment367
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact