Skip to content
Friday 22 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Gunmen abduct JAMB candidates on their way to write exam

The FrontierThe FrontierApril 17, 2026 753 Minutes read0

•Gunmen

Gunmen believed to be kidnappers attacked a commercial vehicle belonging to Benue Links, the state-owned transport company.

About 17 candidates travelling to Otukpo for their examination centres in the ongoing Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) are feared to have been abducted, although the exact number of victims remains unclear, reports Channels TV.

Information available to our correspondent says that the incident took place between 7–8 p.m. on Wednesday, April 15, along the Benue Burnt Bricks in Otukpo, Otukpo Local Government Area (LGA) of Benue State, reports Channels TV.

According to sources, the assailants waylaid the bus and robbed the occupants of their belongings before whisking them away into the bush.

An eyewitness, who spoke to journalists on the condition of anonymity, said the Benue Links bus, which was conveying about 18 passengers, ran into the kidnappers at about 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday night.

“The passengers were mainly young persons heading to Otukpo to sit for the JAMB examination scheduled for Thursday.

“Two people, the driver and one passenger, managed to escape. Incidentally, the passengers were mainly young men and women who travelled to sit for the JAMB examination scheduled for today (Thursday),” he said.

When contacted, the General Manager of Benue Links, Mr Alexander Fanafa, confirmed the incident, noting that the driver of the bus is presently undergoing interrogation at the police station in Otukpo for violating the company’s safety policy not to travel beyond 6:00 p.m.

He said, “As I speak with you, the driver has been arrested and is under investigation for traveling against company directive. I have warned all drivers to stop night journeys, as they would be held as first suspects if anything unfortunate happens.”

The General Manager further stated that the driver took his vehicle and loaded the passengers who were heading to Otukpo after official hours when the park manager, Mr Amedu, had closed, and ran into trouble, so he has been arrested.

The Executive Chairman of Otukpo Local Government Council, Prince Maxwell Ogiri, confirmed the incident, saying that it occurred between 7 and 8 p.m. on Wednesday.

He added that security agents have been mobilized to rescue the victims, stating that the victims are all young people coming to Otukpo to write JAMB examinations.

“It is true, I’m just coming out from a security meeting, and security operatives have been moved into the forest to help rescue the kidnapped victims.

“The victims are mainly young boys and girls coming to Otukpo to write JAMB,” Ogiri said.

However, when contacted, the Benue State Commissioner of Police, Ifeanyi Emenari, confirmed the situation, but said 14 passengers were kidnapped, while one passenger escaped.

The commissioner disclosed that he had already arrived in Otukpo and is conducting the rescue operation.

“I am in Otukpo now with all my team and DPOs who are here in the bush, and I am heading the operation.

“What happened was that one Benue Links bus carrying passengers coming to Otukpo was stopped and attacked by hoodlums, and 14 passengers were kidnapped, but one was able to escape,” he said.

According to him, the command had commenced an investigation into the incident, particularly the circumstances surrounding the journey.

He maintained that Benue Links management has a policy against night travel, but the driver allegedly picked up passengers after official hours.

“We know that Benue Links has a policy and don’t usually drive at night. So from what I got, they have already closed, but the driver, for reasons best known to him which we are still trying to find out, picked passengers along the road, and when he came here, the story you have is what we are having.

“But as we are investigating, we are on the ground to make sure that the victims are rescued,” Emenari said.

Tags
ExamGunmenJAMB candidates
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Governor Abiodun approves day off, ₦10,000 transport allowance for Ogun workers
next post Immigration arrests 125 foreign nationals in Lagos operation, 82 to be repatriated
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

May 22, 20260
Crime

HAPPENING NOW: Burial of school teacher killed by terrorists in Oyo commences •PHOTOS

May 22, 20260
Crime

Prosecute Gumi under Terrorism Prevention Act – Activist Deji Adeyanju tells FG

May 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
News

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

May 22, 20260
Health

EBOLA: Airlines warned against transporting suspected cases

May 22, 20260
Politics

APC has lost its bearing, vision – Former Governor Fayemi

May 22, 20260
Education

Varsity scholarship beneficiaries cry out to FG over delayed allowances since 2024

May 22, 20260
Crime

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

May 22, 20260
Politics

Women, youths threaten to dump APC after Senator Shehu Buba’s withdrawal from Bauchi governorship primary

May 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

May 22, 2026

EBOLA: Airlines warned against transporting suspected cases

May 22, 2026

APC has lost its bearing, vision – Former Governor Fayemi

May 22, 2026

Varsity scholarship beneficiaries cry out to FG over delayed allowances since 2024

May 22, 2026

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

May 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Oil theft: Reps to investigate $5 million molecular power system contract

August 15, 2024
3

Gyokeres scores twice as Arsenal rout Leeds

August 24, 2025
4

10 animals that understand human language

December 13, 2024
5

Kaduna terror: Activist decries kidnappings in Kajuru, Chikun •Slams Police for initial denial

January 22, 2026
6

Ighodalo heads to Appeal Court after Governor Okpebholo’s tribunal victory

April 3, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Former Gov Yahaya Bello withdrew $720,000 from Kogi coffers to pay his child’s school fees — EFCC boss

April 23, 2024
3

Air strikes in Gaza crush joy of ceasefire deal

January 16, 2025
4

BREAKING: Doctors set to begin nationwide strike

July 21, 2025
5

Lagos cracks down on street hoodlums, beggars, jails 26

January 26, 2026
6

113 Army Generals retire, defence minister demands loyalty from armed forces

December 20, 2023

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Chibok community elders cry out over continued attacks by terrorists

April 10, 2026

Tinubu returns to Nigeria after South African trip

December 5, 2024

INEC chairman meets party leaders over Edo, Ondo governorship elections

August 29, 2024

Sebastien Haller: From cancer to AFCON final

February 10, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4557
  • Politics4118
  • Crime3906
  • International2748
  • Sports2272
  • Business & Economy2121
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1262
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health803
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa468
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact