Skip to content
Tuesday 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

How I escaped Plateau mob attack on wedding travellers — Survivor

The FrontierThe FrontierJune 26, 2025 2117 Minutes read0

One of the wedding travellers, Abas Rufa’i, who survived the mob attack on Friday in the Mangun community of Mangu Local Government Area, Plateau State, has recounted how he miraculously escaped through the mob to alert soldiers who later rescued other victims.

Rufa’i shared his experience with Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State during the governor’s visit to the injured victims at the 44 Army Reference Hospital in Kaduna, reports Daily Trust.

Rufa’i was among 31 wedding guests attacked while travelling in an 18-seater bus belonging to Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria.

The group, consisting of men, women, and children from the Basawa-Anguwan Rimi community in Zaria Local Government Area of Kaduna State, was en route to Qua’an Pan LGA for a wedding ceremony when they were attacked.

Describing his escape as miraculous, the survivor said he was the first to disembark from the bus to ask for directions after the driver had parked by the roadside.

As he approached some people sitting nearby, he noticed hostility in their expressions, which signalled he was not welcome. Sensing danger from their body language, he decided not to speak to them.

“When I turned back, I heard them say, ‘We should kill them all and burn the vehicle.’ Before we knew it, some of them began hitting the bus, prompting the driver to attempt a U-turn. But they had already barricaded the road with heavy stones and logs.

“Miraculously, I moved back slightly. I was wearing loose clothes with short trousers, so I quickly removed the gown without attracting attention. Gradually, I slipped away from the bus, which they had already set ablaze with the travellers still inside,” Rufa’i said.

He said while the bus was burning, “I saw an okada rider and asked him to take me to a police station. Since he didn’t know me, I told him I had a personal issue that needed police attention.”

He said while they were riding, he spotted soldiers at a checkpoint and asked the rider to stop.

“Before I could even pay the rider, he made a U-turn and returned to the community. I quickly approached the soldiers and informed them about the attack on my relatives in the village.”

The soldiers immediately mobilised and followed him to the scene, where they found the bus in flames. They managed to rescue about 18 people with various injuries, while others had already been killed.

Our constitution guarantees freedom of movement – Uba Sani

Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has advised his colleagues in other states to ensure freedom of movement of all citizens of Nigeria as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution as amended.

He reiterated that one of the most important responsibilities of any government is the protection of lives and property of its citizens, irrespective of who they are and where they come from.

The governor spoke at Kudan Local Government Area, where he went to commiserate with families of the travellers who were murdered on their way to a wedding in Plateau.

Leading a high-powered delegation comprising senior government officials, the governor commended the people of Kudan for not taking laws into their hands to avenge the killing of their kith and kin.

The governor said he went to 44 Military Hospital, Kaduna, on Monday to visit those who survived the attack but were injured “and here I am in their very community to commiserate with them and also thank them for being peaceful.”

We’ll compensate victims – Plateau govt

The Plateau State Government has announced plans to compensate victims of last Friday’s mob attack on wedding travellers in the state.

Joyce Ramnap, the State Commissioner for Information, stated this during a BBC Hausa morning programme.

Responding to questions about the government’s response, Ramnap said, “It is a must. We will compensate. We are considering the best approach to take. The government is currently awaiting the police report on the incident, and investigations are ongoing.”

She added that the state government is taking steps to prevent future occurrences, saying, “By the special grace of God, the government will take strong measures. We are committed to promoting peace and harmony among residents, regardless of ethno-religious differences.”

According to the commissioner, 22 suspects have already been arrested in connection with the attack.

“The police are investigating, and anyone found responsible will be brought to justice. We are also in communication with the Kaduna State Government on the matter,” she said.

Ramnap urged residents to remain calm and go about their lawful activities, reaffirming that Plateau remains a home of peace and a place for everyone.

Killing premeditated – Muslim forum

The Ahmed Bello University, Zaria chapter of Muslim Forum has condemned the murder of 13 wedding guests in Plateau state.

In a statement, the forum said it received with shock the news of the killings of the unsuspecting travellers.

The forum also warned against targeting Muslim travellers, condemning a comment by the Mangu Local Chairman, Mr Emmanuel Bala, which it said was disrespectful.

The statement said, “The despicable and gruesome murder of our member, a peace-loving Muslim staff of the Department of Physics, ABU Zaria, alongside others, including women and children from our host community, whom he was conveying to a wedding event, is not only an act of sheer savagery and barbarism but also part of a disturbing pattern of impunity-driven violence.

“What these bloodthirsty serial killers fail to grasp is that targeting unarmed, innocent travellers under the illusion of impunity can only expose Plateau indigenes residing in other parts of the country to similar retaliatory vulnerabilities should others choose to reciprocate such barbaric behaviour.

“Let it be clearly stated: failure by the authorities to deliver justice that is punitive, deterrent, and consolatory not only emboldens impunity but also risks inciting counter-impunity on a scale that could prove catastrophic.

“The attempt by the Chairman of Mangu Local Government, Mr. Emmanuel Bala, to downplay this massacre as a “case of mistaken identity” is both futile and insulting. It only serves to confirm that the attack was premeditated and coordinated.”

Reps ask IGP, DSS to arrest killers

The House of Representatives on Tuesday called on the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Kayode Egbetokun; the Director General of the Department of State Services (DSS) Adeola Oluwatosin Ajayi and the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Olufemi Oluyede to immediately arrest and prosecute those responsible for the gruesome killing of 13 wedding guests in Plateau State.

Moving a motion of urgent public importance at the plenary session on Tuesday, Sadiq Ango Abdullahi decried the failure of security agencies to curb such attacks despite previous resolutions of the National Assembly and repeated promises of action by the authorities.

He warned that the inability to arrest and prosecute perpetrators of such heinous crimes is fuelling impunity and weakening public trust in government.

Adopting the motion, the house resolved to mandate the IGP, DG DSS, and Chief of Army Staff to urgently investigate the killings and ensure the culprits are brought to justice without delay.

Northern elders seek urgent action on North’s insecurity 

The Northern Elders Forum (NEF) on Tuesday condemned the killing of innocent travellers in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State and urged the federal government to urgently address the escalating insecurity across the country.

In a statement by its spokesperson, Professor Abubakar Jika Jiddere, NEF said it was “shaken to its core” by the attack on defenceless travellers in Plateau.

Jiddere said, “This premeditated atrocity is not only a crime against humanity but a stark indictment of a nation losing its grip on the most basic duty of governance, the protection of human life.

“Let us be clear: this was not a case of mistaken identity. It was not random. It was an act of evil. In any functioning society, a marked official vehicle carrying unarmed civilians, particularly women and children, would be seen as sacrosanct.

“That such a group could be slaughtered in cold blood speaks volumes about the depths of hate, lawlessness, and moral decay festering in parts of our nation.

“This tragedy is part of a much darker narrative, one where the Northern region of Nigeria is bleeding daily from unchecked violence.

The forum called for the immediate arrest, open prosecution, and strict punishment of those responsible for the Mangu massacre.

CAN condemns killing 

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in the 19 northern states and the Federal Capital Territory has condemned the recent killing of travellers in Plateau, describing the incident as “barbaric and ungodly.”

In a statement signed by its secretary, Elder Sunday Oibe, the northern CAN said, “This barbaric and inhuman action reflects the worst of human nature and must not be tolerated under any circumstances.”

CAN acknowledged the ongoing security challenges in Mangu and other parts of the country but maintained that nothing could justify such brutality.

The group called on the federal and state governments, along with security agencies, to investigate the incident and bring the perpetrators to justice, warning that continued impunity could plunge the nation into chaos.

Tags
mob attackPlateauSurvivorwedding travellers
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Peter Obi slams FG as strike keeps Abuja school children at home 3 months
next post Monarch arrested for kidnapping, raping of 12-year-old girl
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Abductions in Oyo show South-West must prepare to address insecurity — Yoruba leader Gani Adams

May 19, 20260
Crime

No permanent terrorist base in South-West, says Military

May 19, 20260
Crime

BREAKING: EFCC arrests convicted former Power Minister Saleh Mamman

May 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

May 19, 20260
Headlines

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 20260
Entertainment

Wizkid, Tems, Burna Boy, Asake nominated for 2026 BET Awards •FULL LIST

May 19, 20260
Politics

APC chieftain former Governor Goje cries foul after losing primary election

May 19, 20260
News

Ohagwu assumes office as 47th Ondo police commissioner

May 19, 20260
Politics

I thought Tinubu approved Lagos Speaker Obasa’s removal — Actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

May 19, 2026

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 2026

Wizkid, Tems, Burna Boy, Asake nominated for 2026 BET Awards •FULL LIST

May 19, 2026

APC chieftain former Governor Goje cries foul after losing primary election

May 19, 2026

Ohagwu assumes office as 47th Ondo police commissioner

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2026 World Cup: Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth appearance

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Yoruba Nation: Security beefed up in South West Govt Houses

April 15, 2024
3

5 types of men who are unlikely to cheat in a relationship

December 13, 2024
4

Chile ex-president dies in helicopter crash

February 7, 2024
5

9 countries with the most nuclear weapons

June 23, 2025
6

Group slams failed Kebbi road, says project collapsed a month after completion

August 23, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

How Nigeran Afrobeats superstars are redefining global music scene •Their lifestyles, money, cars, jets

September 6, 2025
3

Van Dijk tells Liverpool to keep calm, follow Arsenal’s lead

November 5, 2025
4

FG processes 170 foreign applications for citizenship

October 28, 2025
5

25,000 Nigerian nurses begin nationwide strike today

July 30, 2025
6

Kaduna bombing: Death toll rises to 127 – Survivors

December 7, 2023

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Late own goal keeps Ronaldo waiting for Saudi title

May 13, 2026

I lost over N10m, I don’t know where to start – Abuja market fire victim cries out

June 28, 2024

Drama as Senator Kingibe storms out after Akpabio stops motion on FCT demolitions

December 13, 2024

Senegal to parade Africa Cup of Nations trophy before clash with Peru

March 27, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4546
  • Politics4082
  • Crime3895
  • International2740
  • Sports2260
  • Business & Economy2116
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment736
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact