Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Lagos airport locked down, roads blocked as blind persons protest

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 12, 2025 3804 Minutes read0

•The protesters

Activities at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) in Lagos were disrupted yesterday following a protest by visually impaired persons over the closure of their training school.

The demonstrators, carrying the banner of the institution– Farmcraft Centre for the Blind – and placards, blocked major roads to both the domestic and international wings of the airport, reports The Nation.

Hundreds of air travellers, aviation workers, motorists and commuters heading to different parts of the Lagos metropolis via the routes were caught in gridlock that began at about 10.45 am.

Some of the air travellers were seen by our correspondent hopping onto commercial motorcycles whose operators charged as much as N5,000 from the tollgate near the international wing to the domestic terminals to meet their flights.

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) and Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Ltd, operator of Terminal Two (MMA2) of the airport, apologised to those who experienced inconveniences and flight schedule disruptions.

FAAN and Bi-Courtney went a step further to advise them to ‘’seek alternative routes, confirm flight schedules with airlines and remain patient.’’

The protesters, led by Kelly Egbere (aka Kelly Blind), said they were angry that the government had been lax in reopening the school, which has branches in parts of Lagos State, since it was shut on June 7 last year.

They vowed to continue the protest till the government provided a concrete response on the school’s reopening.

The placard-bearing protesters, however, began dispersing around 4 pm, after Egbere led a team to a closed-door meeting with Minister of State for Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Reduction, Yusuf Sununu.

Before the meeting, the protesters who displayed placards with inscriptions like ‘Reopen our school, help the blind to live well, ’ ‘We are appealing for the reopening of the Nigeria Framcraft Centre for the Blind,’ said government’s failure to reopen the institution after several appeals had denied them educational opportunities and forcing many of them to resort to street begging.

One of their leaders, who gave his name simply as Dolor said: “We are angry because we have no welfare, and most of us have to beg to survive.

“Our school has been shut for a long time despite repeated appeals to the government. We have written letters, visited offices in Abuja, but nothing has been done.

“You can see the blind and disabled people; we are angry. A lot of Nigerians see us as beggars. This is our school that gave us dignity, and it has been shut down without reason.”

Dolor, said they staged the protest to draw President Bola Tinubu’s attention to their plight.

FAAN, in a statement by its spokesperson Obiageli Orah, said: “Due to an ongoing protest by the Farmcraft Centre for the Blind, traffic congestion is currently impacting access roads to the airport.

“We apologise for the inconvenience and advise travellers to stay updated through official channels.”

Bi-Courtney’s Head of Corporate Communications, Ajoke Yinka-Olawuyi, said their management was deeply concerned by the impact of the development on passengers.

She added: “While we reassure you that all airport operations continue as usual, we recognise that any disruption to your travel plans causes significant inconvenience and frustration.

“Our members of staff and security teams are actively monitoring the situation and working diligently to minimise disruptions while ensuring a smooth experience for all travellers.”

Although the protest eased at about 4 pm yesterday, the gridlock still stretched to the metropolis to the ever-busy Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Agege Motor Road inward Awolowo Way, Ikeja and adjoining roads.

An air passenger trying to reach the airport took it upon himself to share an urgent message regarding the situation:

He said, “If you are coming to the airport from Oshodi, don’t pass through Hajj Camp or NAHCO. Please go through PWD. No movement since morning. No going in, no coming out. If you don’t have any business at the airport, stay away.

“Visually impaired protesters have taken over. People are trekking. Passengers are missing their flight. So don’t move. Don’t come to the airport if you don’t have anything unless you are ready to trek today.”

A motorist on Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way lamented spending more than three hours in traffic.

“I have been in this traffic for over three hours. I left my home at I pm for a 2 pm appointment, but see me here by 4 pm. This is very frustrating.”

Police operatives from the Airport Command, supported by a team from the state command, were seen ensuring orderly conduct by the protesters.

Officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) were also on the ground.

 

Minister promises school’s reopening, welfare support

Minister of State for Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Reduction, Sununu assured that the institution would soon be reopened.

Sununu, who flew in from Abuja, spoke after he met with leaders of the protesters.

He explained that the school was temporarily shut after an inspection revealed that its condition was “not optimal” for visually impaired students.

The minister added that funds for its upgrade were captured in the 2025 Appropriation Act.

“It is better to suspend the school temporarily than to risk lives. Once the funds are available, we will upgrade the structure, and the students will return in a better atmosphere.

“The president believes in listening to Nigerians and addressing their aspirations. Today’s meeting shows our commitment to providing immediate and long-term solutions.”

Egbere said they were satisfied with the minister’s assurances.

“We are very happy that the minister came from Abuja to address us. He told us that all we asked for would be sorted out. The school will be reopened, and our welfare will be looked into. ‘’

Tags
blind personsLagos airportprotestroads blocked
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Protest rocks Kaduna over alleged killing of youth by security operatives
next post LG election: Rivers indigenes sue Tinubu, Sole Administrator Ibas, Electoral Commission
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Container truck queues trigger gridlock, cripple activities in Mile 2, Kirikiri

August 18, 20260
News

Tension as youths destroy shrine in Rivers

August 18, 20260
News

Niger Delta stakeholders renew calls for restructuring, resource control •Demand 70% oil revenue

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

August 18, 20260
International

JUST IN: US lawmaker rejects lifting Nigeria’s ‘Country of Particular Concern’ status after Plateau attack

August 18, 20260
Politics

Governor Adeleke denies deal with ADC to win election

August 18, 20260
News

Container truck queues trigger gridlock, cripple activities in Mile 2, Kirikiri

August 18, 20260
Africa

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema wins second term

August 18, 20260
Education

UI, UNILAG lead Nigerian institutions in global ranking •FULL LIST

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

August 18, 2026

JUST IN: US lawmaker rejects lifting Nigeria’s ‘Country of Particular Concern’ status after Plateau attack

August 18, 2026

Governor Adeleke denies deal with ADC to win election

August 18, 2026

Container truck queues trigger gridlock, cripple activities in Mile 2, Kirikiri

August 18, 2026

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema wins second term

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Man City confront Liverpool as Arsenal eye League crown •FULL FIXTURES

February 6, 2026
3

Coalition will be party to beat, APC should be worried, says former Governor Suswam

June 26, 2025
4

Israel defends Qatar air strikes after rebuke from Trump

September 10, 2025
5

NAFDAC seizes over 100 truckloads of unsafe drugs, narcotics

March 17, 2025
6

Kano govt rejects police alarm on terrorist attacks, alleges plot to scuttle religious event

January 25, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: Top Nollywood actor Junior Pope is dead

April 10, 2024
3

WORD-FOR-WORD: What Taiwo Oyedele said about new Tax laws at 2026 Economic Outlook •VIDEO

January 15, 2026
4

9 Chadian opposition leaders arrested after calling for protest

April 27, 2026
5

Women, children, elderly face heightened migration risks – Experts warn

April 9, 2026
6

Senate holds valedictory session for late Ifeanyi Ubah

November 19, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Barcelona women clinch seventh straight Spanish League title

April 23, 2026

As Naira slides, Nigerians turning gift cards into cash through TradeCard

July 24, 2026

Ganduje to Gov Yusuf: Your attempt to drag me in the mud will fail

April 5, 2024

Genuine friendship scarce in Nigeria’s music industry, says Afrobeats star, Ruger

June 21, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4912
  • Politics4559
  • Crime4402
  • International3030
  • Sports2448
  • Business & Economy2265
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1362
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health873
  • Entertainment808
  • Africa571
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact